I swore I'd never get an ar

Reviews and discussion of rifles.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

mrcee12
Verified Member
Verified Member

I swore I'd never get an ar

Post by mrcee12 »

But then I got a Ruger 5.56 multi purpose rifle...and it is sweet!

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: I swore I'd never get an ar

Post by K9s »

I used to say that, too. Then the prices dropped below AK prices and to SKS levels. Of course, if AK-74s were still widely available, I wouldn't have bothered with an AR.

They are really ergonomic and light, eh? Glad you like it!
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

FlyGuy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by FlyGuy »

I was hesitant at first. Then I fell down that slippery slope. Beware!
Ruger 556.JPG
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

mrcee12
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by mrcee12 »

Yes, so ergonomic. I was really surprised that it feels like it cost more. I really liked it more than the S&W which felt like a toy in comparison.

Wow! Awesome! Can I have specs on yours sights ;)

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Yeah, I thought so too. Then I saw the Windham Hunter...And I don't even hunt!
20190727_Windham.jpg
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

Ruger has a lot of variations to meet state requirements. Happy shooting!
https://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

Got mine after the dumpster got elected and prices were reasonable. Pretty much stock cept for the AT3 red dot. And I'm kinda sceptical of having a battery powered optic on it. Just because if I need it for defensive situations the battery could be dead. And then have to pop off protective caps. If it were just a range toy that would be ok. I like iron sights.
AR 5.56 AT- RD-50.jpg
Buy the ticket; take the ride

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 am
20190727_Windham.jpg
Still jealous.
tonguengroover wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:14 pm
Got mine after the dumpster got elected and prices were reasonable. Pretty much stock cept for the AT3 red dot. And I'm kinda sceptical of having a battery powered optic on it. Just because if I need it for defensive situations the battery could be dead. And then have to pop off protective caps. If it were just a range toy that would be ok. I like iron sights.

AR 5.56 AT- RD-50.jpg
Just practice using the red dot as a ghost ring sight at 10 yards. For home defense, you don't have to use the red dot if you don't have time. Or, point shoot drills. Home defense is pretty close quarters distance.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

K9s wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:43 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:
20190727_Windham.jpg
Still jealous.
I'd prefer envious!

Just have to decide that it's the worth the money to you. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get one, new for around $1200, to $1300.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
20190727_Windham.jpg
So...today I was working on cleaning up the mini-rifle safe to hold 3 rifles and I noticed that the Windham's 5-round mag is actually a pinned 10-rounder. 2 things: 1) I don't hunt and 2) 10 round magazines are compliant in NJ.

So, a quick trip to the drill press to drill out the pin (a pop-rivet) et Voila! Another 10-round magazine!

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

That is pretty funny!

BluVett
Helpful Contributor

Post by BluVett »

I suspect this is might really be a stupid question, so asking for forgiveness in advance. I think of myself as more of a hobbyist/collector than anything else--I enjoy target shooting, I won't hunt unless I need to for survival (or maybe asked to for conservation, but still, I'd want food to be in the equation)...but is there a currently available rifle, semi-auto, that aesthetically mimics the original M-16? I know there are many similar, but I'm interested in the aesthetics.

Just interested in the nostalgia for the rifle I trained on years back. Outside of collecting, I don't really have a need for a semi-auto.
"...You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it." --F Scott Fitzgerald, from "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button."

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

what i've seen is parts sets and parts (sarco maybe) https://www.sarcoinc.com/rifle-parts/ar ... ed&page=13
you provide your own lower/FCG.
when i built my Ar, i wanted it to look like an a1, nobody had the parts, but now some people are selling demilled m16 part sets.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Brownells has them, and the reputation for them is good.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

BluVett wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm
I suspect this is might really be a stupid question, so asking for forgiveness in advance. I think of myself as more of a hobbyist/collector than anything else--I enjoy target shooting, I won't hunt unless I need to for survival (or maybe asked to for conservation, but still, I'd want food to be in the equation)...but is there a currently available rifle, semi-auto, that aesthetically mimics the original M-16? I know there are many similar, but I'm interested in the aesthetics.

Just interested in the nostalgia for the rifle I trained on years back. Outside of collecting, I don't really have a need for a semi-auto.
Depends on what you mean by "aesthetically mimics". Do you mean the stock and carry-handle sight? Do you want it in .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51? Or something else?
Something like this?

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

probably wants the stock, integral (not add-on) carry handle, triangular full-length handguards, teardrop forward assist. i know i did.

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

If I ever had an AR, that’s what happened would want

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 pm
Huh??? :see_stars:

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Hiker »

I like the original m16 look. Nothing wrong with that. I had a chance to buy one about 10 years ago. And it was actually made by Armalite!!! Just couldn't justify spending the money at that time. One of many that I let slip through my fingers!!! :weep: :weep: :weep:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

bajajoaquin
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by bajajoaquin »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 pm
bajajoaquin wrote:
Typo.

If I ever had an AR, I’d get it with A1 furniture.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

bajajoaquin wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 am
YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 pm
bajajoaquin wrote:
Typo.

If I ever had an AR, I’d get it with A1 furniture.
Ah. Thanks.

BluVett
Helpful Contributor

Post by BluVett »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 pm
BluVett wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Depends on what you mean by "aesthetically mimics". Do you mean the stock and carry-handle sight? Do you want it in .223/5.56 or .308/7.62x51? Or something else?
Something like this?

Yep, something like that exactly. Is that a Windham? Caliber's not a huge issue for me, my only other higher power rifle is a 308, so I guess would simplify things.

Thanks gang, I appreciate the responses--and knowing I'm apparently not the only one!
"...You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it." --F Scott Fitzgerald, from "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button."

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Yeah, it's a Windham.

BluVett
Helpful Contributor

Post by BluVett »

Nice, thanks! Looking at them over on GB right now. Something to think about...