Re: Any Enfield aficionados here

By far the very best bolt action combat rifle. I have read accounts of German soldiers being repelled by the Brits and thought the Brits had developed a new special machine gun.

Sergeant Instructor Snoxall (love that name) holds the mad minute record, 38 hits in 12" at 300m in 60sec. The rifle is so weird and ugly that it looks cool. Especially the jungle carbine.

I was when I was using one almost daily in the school rifle team. :)

Sadly, they wouldn't let me take it with me when I graduated.... No. 4, Mk 2, 'course, but heavily breathed on by Parker-Hale. Would group 10" at 500 yards from a sling, prone, if I was doing my part properly.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Those Canadian ones from Classic are nice. Hard to find in that condition today.

Yes, No.4 Mk2's were plentiful back in the 80's.

Some were unfired in the armory wrap. I bought one in the late 80's for around $250 and never had the guts to shoot it.

Sold it a couple months ago for considerably more than that.

An all-Enfield day shooting is really rewarding! :beer2:

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

lurker wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm and i lust after an enfield revolver...
An early firearm of the Northwest Mounted Police [now RCMP]
...ordered 200 Mark IIs in 1882, priced at C$15.75 each.
On Gunbroker - not a bad price, don't know how the barrel looks. Top break, 6 rounds, 38 S&W.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845578272
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm and i lust after an enfield revolver...
An early firearm of the Northwest Mounted Police [now RCMP]
...ordered 200 Mark IIs in 1882, priced at C$15.75 each.
On Gunbroker - not a bad price, don't know how the barrel looks. Top break, 6 rounds, 38 S&W.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845578272
i came across one at a gunshow for $200 last year, didn't have a purchase permit, haven't seen one since. :(
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Enfield Lock made firearms for a long time. As a boy, I really wanted a cap lock Enfield Musketoon, and eventually purchased one. A delight to carry hunting, short, handy, and reasonably accurate. Miserable to clean, though.

I have had a number of No.1 Mk III, No. 4 and No. 5 rifles. I see them as the fastest firing bolt actions ever made, even faster than the Swiss Straight Pulls. If they have not had a lot of Cordite ammo shot through them, they shoot very well, well enough at 200 yards to keep all shots in the black at 200 yards on an SR target. They are even friendly to cast bullets.

"The 2012 Complete Book on Lee Enfield Accurizing - Roger Wadham" Available in pdf, or was. More information on the Enfields than you could ever want. Really helped me tune my Ishy. Highly recommend it if you are researching the different models for purchase.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

Enfield #4 .303 Surplus Condition is $499 today at Classic if anyone is on the fence. Sold out of Savage, but they have Canadian Long Branch.

If I hadn't just purchased an Enfield, I would probably jump on it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt