Blog - Your Hump Day Reading List for May 20, 2020

Welcome to your Hump Day Reading List!  This is your refuge from the impersonal Google and FaceBook algorithms that seem to run our lives these days. Instead of a machine deciding what you’ll see, I personally go out and look for great articles that actually have value in the quest for greater personal and family safety. From all of the articles that I find, I weed out the “fake news” and those that don’t have direct application to some aspect of preparedness. Then, to fight the growing scourge of information overload, I distill everything down to what I believe to be the three most useful articles you can read right now, explain the context of those articles, and identify any bias so you can trust what you read.  It’s a more personal, more targeted, and more efficient way to get the information you need! Here’s what I’ve found for you this week: This week in Defensive Training and Gear:  
Will you “freeze” when faced with a threat? There has been a lot of ink (real and virtual) spilled in discussions about the “fight or flight” response, along with its attendant reaction: freeze. Under some conditions people do freeze, as they try to reason out what’s happening and what they should do about it. It’s long been my considered opinion that freezing was often caused by not understanding what the options are when faced with a critical situation — I.e., not having sufficient training or experience with the stimulus in question. It turns out that this familiarity, or lack of it, is indeed a big factor in the freeze response, and there’s some science to back it up. John Hearne, a federal officer, has done extensive research on the topic and his conclusions reinforce my own — but go far beyond to explain not just the “why”, but also the “why not”. You can read his findings at the Active Response Training blog. (Pay particular attention to what he says about the “OODA Loop” and why orientation doesn’t happen in real time.) This week in Personal Safety and Security:  
Pre-attack indicators and active killers The article above came from Greg Ellifritz’s excellent blog, Active Response Training, but it wasn’t written by him. I decided to share a second article that he actually wrote, because he usually has great information! In this article, Greg looks at the recent FBI report on active killers and their pre-attack indicators. Many kinds of violent behavior have certain things in common. These “red flags” show up time and again, and if correctly interpreted can serve as warning of impending violence. Keep in mind that behavioral clues cluster; one by itself doesn’t necessarily indicate a potential for violence, but when three, four, or five happen in the same suspect(s), it’s a strong clue to initiate an appropriate counter-attack plan. If you’re part of a security team at your house of worship, this is particularly important reading. This week in Preparedness and Health:  
Prepping for power outages as an apartment dweller Folks who live in apartment buildings face special problems with preparedness. Since space is limited, and structural modifications aren’t possible, prepping requires careful thought. People who live in houses, particularly those on larger properties, have the storage space to hold even badly-chosen preparedness items; those in apartments have no such luxury, and prepping for the wrong event or buying inappropriate survival items can have severe repercussions. This article looks at one specific and very plausible threat from the perspective of an apartment dweller: the medium-term power outage. Generators for apartment renters are probably out of question, so what can you do without one? As it turns out, there are a number of things you can do to prepare for this kind of incident, even in the confines of an apartment. (This is the kind of plausible risk planning I talk about in my book Prepping For Life: understanding the likely dangers, assessing their impact and your risk, and prepping accordingly. – Grant Cunningham The post Your Hump Day Reading List for May 20, 2020 appeared first on www.GrantCunningham.com. This content originally appeared at text and was written by Grant Cunningham This content is syndicated and does not necessarily reflect the views or positions of The Liberal Gun Club

Source: https://www.grantcunningham.com/2020/05 ... y-20-2020/