Tropical Fish People

I just upgraded my tank I was given a 35 gallon bow front I am looking for something interesting to put in Oscars or something I don't know. Any help is great

No I don't want to switch to saltwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: Tropical Fish People

Simmer down wrote:We had so many types of fish die no matter what we did with the water. I finally stopped at a bait shop and got a dozen minnows. Those things lived for years.
Did they get any bigger or do they stay the same size?
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

I had a pretty fantastic setup before I moved. I had a nice lillypad that would throw some gorgeous pink and white flower from time to time. One of the more interesting fish I had was a 3 spot gourami. They can be a little dominant but they're pretty lively and add a nice contrast to the smaller, schooling-type fish. Mystery snails are kind of fun, too.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

whitey wrote:
Simmer down wrote:We had so many types of fish die no matter what we did with the water. I finally stopped at a bait shop and got a dozen minnows. Those things lived for years.
Did they get any bigger or do they stay the same size?
The longest living one was about the size of my hand.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Oscars will eat anything that will fit in their mouths. Not good community fish.

The tank sounds big enough for African cichlids. Very active and interesting fish. They are diggers, so you give them sand and they excavate all day and night. If the tank is long enough, you can do quite a few species.

You could always go the tetra/swordfish/molly sailfin/zebra danio route. All very good community fish, very colorful, and will reproduce for you.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Hmm...I'm going to have go ahead and disagree with the reproduction thing. More than once I put an ad in Craigslist to give away Danios. Those fuckers are hard to catch. That was way too much work for fish that sell for a buck a piece and come with free plastic bags.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Paladin wrote:I just upgraded my tank I was given a 35 gallon bow front I am looking for something interesting to put in Oscars or something I don't know. Any help is great

No I don't want to switch to saltwater

I am very fond of Cichlids. They are aggressive and territorial, but very entertaining and interactive. With enough hiding spots, 35 gallons is enough for several. Of course, Oscars are like big aquatic puppies and love attention.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

beaurrr wrote:Hmm...I'm going to have go ahead and disagree with the reproduction thing. More than once I put an ad in Craigslist to give away Danios. Those fuckers are hard to catch. That was way too much work for fish that sell for a buck a piece and come with free plastic bags.
Yeah, you put in one Angelfish.

I had an Archer fish for a few years. Cute, eh? I play archery.

But this guy needed to shoot, much like I need to. There's always a little space between the top of the tank and the back part, so he'd go back there and sit, looking up for bugs. He'd fire maybe ten times an hour, jets of water flying past--and some of my friends were in states of non-ordinary reality. They'd come to my house because we didn't have a TV but instead had a dozen different fish tanks in the living room, the longest being a six foot show tank on the coffee table where my Africans lived. They're territorial, as said above, so they excavate and defend these territories all the time. Had some reproduce--they're mouth breeders, so their kids live in their mouths. Views of gnarl.

Had all kinds of interesting fish and friends. Fun and relaxing hobby. Now we have catz, so, nah.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Not all cichilids are territorial. Its been ages since I was into fish, so I cant recall the social ones.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

So cichlids it is thanks

An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer