PSA - Clean your magazines!

Specifically, Ruger bx-25 magazines. I took 5 Ruger bx-25s out a couple of weeks ago and 4 out of the 5 refused to feed at all and were basically useless. The mags had been stored unloaded for about 5 years and had been used before putting them away. They all has the same symptom: Cartridges were being presented flat w/o any up angle and were stubbing into the front of the feed lips.

After breaking down the mags and cleaning the interior and feed lips with soapy water, plus adding a little lube on the follower pin, all of the mags worked w/o any stoppages. Same rifle, same ammo, same mags.

The Ruger OEM 10 round rotary mags were also filthy but worked.

BSW

Re: PSA - Clean your magazines!

CDFingers wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:18 am I find it best to avoid stubbing the front of one's speed lips, yes. I think a high pressure air hose might do the trick. Liberate that dirt and grime.

CDFingers
The mags weren't really that visibly dirty. I think most of the crud was the wax that rubbed off the bullets from the last time I shot with those mags.

Fortunately the bx-25s are easy to disassembly, clean, and reassemble. You'd have to disassemble them anyway to lube the pin on the follower where it rides in the spool the spring is attached to.

BSW

Oldschool wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:28 am All of the high cap 10/22 mags have reliability issues. It is good to keep them clean, but they are iffy at best even then.
The bx-25s when new were completely reliable, and were reliable again after cleaning.

That said, the 10 shot OEM rotary mags did work perfectly after being stored in the same conditions.

BSW

Wasn't trying to yuk your yum. I'm glad you are having success. I have several bx-25 and overall I have more issues with them than the bx-15 or 10 rd rotary. I shoot suppressed a lot and it throws junk into the mags. They definitely need cleaning once in a while.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.