SPA DAY for the old Remington and the WalkAbout

I'm old and over weight and diabetic and out of shape and have garments and ancestors and a bone in my foot so it's been hunker down seemingly forever now. But it has given me lots of time to treat my handguns and rifles to a deserved Spa Day. The most recent has been my 1949 Remington 241 that has been sitting for about twenty years or more watching its newer brethren like the Ruger 10/22 Takedown get to go WalkAbout.

But no longer. I got it out and after it got accustomed to the bright light gave it a full Spa Day with a full body massage as well as detailed cleansing (no cucumber wrap though), I have some limits. The action simply didn't action at all at first and the old lube was more like cosmoline but gradually everything began moving freely and true significant dents began appearing on the snap cap rims.

Saturday morning I got to my local range bright and early, early enough to see the lights come on in the store front and the owner was gracious enough to say I could even turn the lane lights on. The brass from the previous day littered the floor but I knew where the brush was so I cleared around about three lanes and started function tests. As always, initially one round only, then two, then five and finally the full ten rounds of 22LR.
The old gun was flawless; no failure to feed, no failure to fire, no failure to eject, no hot casings on various body parts. Then I tried three different cartridges brands, two Remington and one Federal. All were from Bulk Pack yet every round fired; it was just as I remembered it to be. Frankly it was far more reliable and accurate and just plain fun than the 10/22.

Once I was sure that everything was working I shut the lanes and lights down, went out to the store front and the owner wanted to see what I had been shooting. He was amazed by how well everything fit together and considering the fact that it was older than his dad I think he was impressed.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: SPA DAY for the old Remington and the WalkAbout

Did another Spa Day and WalkAbout but considering the recent Covid-19 numbers it's likely the last WalkAbout for some considerable time. This time it was an old Remington 511 that was made in 1945 when Remington was returning to the civilian market instead of military. The 511 is a magazine fed bolt action with a 25" tapered barrel. The stock is walnut and the action smooth and positive. It uses dual extractors and has a positive ejection that's slightly forward.

During the range session I tried four different ammos, Federal and Remington bulk, CCI Mini-Mag and some Aguila and all fed, fired and ejected flawlessly. Accuracy was still pretty good but I fear modern targets are just not as well made as the old ones were since it appears the targets must have moved to cause the groups to spread out. It's kinda like the ground these days. It used to be much closer to me and easier to reach. Sometimes not I even need to bend my knees to pick up stuff.

I had ordered a couple high capacity 10 round magazines from Brownell's but neither one worked. The kept binding up and would only feed the very first round successfully. The original 6 round mag worked perfectly. The two 10 round mags are headed back to Brownell's and I ordered a 5 round and 15 round magazine from Numrich. They are supposedly made by Numrich and so I hope will be reliable.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim