Winchester 550?

I’ve been having a hankering for a semi auto .22. My first choice is a Marlin Mod 60. I want a tubular mag. New 60’s can be had for $180 but recently I have (unsuccessfully) been trying to buy some used guns. I have yet to locate a used model 60 but I have found a Winchester 550 at a local pawn shop. It’s marked $169 but I think I could get it for $150. My research indicates they are interesting in that they will reliably cycle .22 short. Not that I foresee myself shooting much of that. The gun looks complete and in decent condition but also like it hasn’t been cleaned since the forties when it was likely made.

Any body have/had one or thoughts?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Winchester 550?

A quick read seems to show the Winchester to be more of a fun oddity. If you want a tube fed rifle, hard to beat a 60.

If you are patient (and depending on where you are and your laws), you might hold out for a kinda-older one. Old 60s have 18-round magazines but no bolt hold open. Current production has a hold open but only 10 rounds. In the middle, there’s some years where they held 18 rounds and had the hold open.

If that matters to you, Of course.

I got a Winchester model 74 which a fun and accurate rifle, a tube magazine in the stock, it also has no bolt hold open. I've taken to using a spent case as the last in the tube. If I lose count, I don't dry fire it as the chamber's rim can be damaged if stuck.
Might be a little more money, but it will also maintain its value if not increase over time.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

I did some additional reading about the Winchester 55 (2.0) yesterday; seems like it be the perfect youth (first time shooter) gun, the safety is engaged by pushing the top loading port cover to load a round and the safety then has to disengaged to fire the rifle. That would seem to encourage good gun practices, in a new shooter.
Found an interesting thread on the Winchester collectors forum:
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/w ... del-55-22/
and a nice one on Gunbroker:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856852166
I think I'd be tempted to buy one at $169, and probably spend more if I had someone in mind that was just starting out.
"And so it goes"

Mason wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm That’s not it , Geno. There are a couple of you tube vids about the 550.
Could you post a link or two? I came up with nothing when I looked, just the Remington 550.

EDIT:
Mason wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:13 am I have yet to locate a used model 60 but I have found a Winchester 550 at a
Any body have/had one or thoughts?
I think I understand now, you wrote Winchester here by mistake, instead of Remington;
sorry if I added to the confusion.
"And so it goes"