CZ 455 or CZ 452

OK, so I am wanting to get more into long distance shooting with 22 rimfire. I had made up my mind to get a CZ 455, I was just trying to decide which model would be best, while saving up some money.
Well that was until today. I was at my LGS and found a CZ452 with iron sights, a long barrel, and an adapter to change from the 11mm scope mount to the normal size. They usually give me a discount so I am thinking I can get it for about $350 +tax.

Sooo... I know the 455 has some improvements over the 452, but I don't know if it is important enough to make paying more money for the 455. (455 scope rings are 80 bucks, I already have some standard size scope rings.)

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: CZ 455 or CZ 452

The 455 and the 452 are both good rifles. I own one of each, I don't know if one is inherently better than the other. the 455 can be changed around for different calibers which is great, but accuracy might be sacrificed. Mine shoots well but it took some ammo testing and a little tinkering with extra parts and screw tensions to find what it likes at what temps. I use the 455 for PRS/NRL22 type matches. My 452 is the 29.5" barrel ultra lux and it seems to like a range of ammo but it loves the R100. The action on the 452 feels a touch smother, but that could be a bias on my part. I am not sure if the 455 is an improvement, slip fit barrels (455) are great if you want to change things but they may not provide the greatest repeatable results accuracy wise. I tightened my 455 barrel down to a tension that works with the ammo I use and have not messed with it. Head space has so much effect on accuracy in a rimfire I am afraid to touch it.

In a nutshell if you like to tinker the 455 is good and you have lots of options to mess with it, barrels stocks etc.

The 452 is a good/great rifle out of the box but you may not be able to mess with it as much. less options for stocks and the barrel is screwed in so you need a gunsmith to make changes.

As for 11mm adapting to the Pic/1913 rails for scope mounts the Area 419 rail is fantastic. I know the there are others but the 419 locks from the sides and other use grub screws (that may loosen I have seen it happen) that clamp the rails. Rings for the 11mm can be had as cheap as a BKL or pricey as a Talley or Kelby's this is up to what you like.

In both cases order a Yo Dave trigger kit at first to get the trigger manageable on the cheap. If you want to spend more the there are others.

IMO 350 for any 452 is a steal. By the way.
Last edited by 1oz on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have a 452 and a 455. I recently got the latter. I bought the 452 over the summer. I love them both. Until recently I also had a 453 in .17 HMR but I traded that for my new 455.

The advantage that I see for the 455 is that you can interchange the barrels including barrels of different caliber. So you can have a 22 LR and a 17 HMR barrel that you can interchange in about five minutes with simple tools. I also think that the 455 trigger which is adjustable down to about 2 pounds, is better than that of the 452.

Regarding the scope rings, you can either get scope rings that fit on the 11 mm dovetail of the CZ receiver or as you say, you can buy an adapter that fits a picatinny rail on your rifle. The latter solution may save some money. I’ve used both. I am settling on the pic rail adapter since I have several scopes with quick disconnect rings so I can swap the scope to another rifle with minimal effort.

I think you will find the CZ rimfire rifles to be a great value for the money and a pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZ 455 or CZ 452

1oz has more experience With these rifles than I do. I will say though that my 455 rifle which is also an ultra lux had a really nice trigger out of the box. No real pre-travel and a clean break at 2 pounds. I’ve only had it to the range once but out-of-the-box it was shooting nearly quarter inch groups at 25 yards. I haven’t fiddled any screw torques etc., and have only used one ammo variety- CCI SV. I probably won’t be able to do much extensive testing until the spring.

The question to 1oz: what torque to you put on the barrel bolts of your 455?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZ 455 UltraLux if you can get one. But, any CZ 452 or 455 will be good. However, if you ever harbor thoughts of switching barrel sizes and calibers get the 455 like Bucolic noted.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Well thanks everyone, specially 1oz. I always like to see those who seldom post get stirred to posting!!

I will go to the store tomorrow and take a look at the rifle again, checking a little closer and inspecting the scope adapter rail that's on it. This may be the most economical solution. Thanks again everyone.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 pm Well thanks everyone, specially 1oz. I always like to see those who seldom post get stirred to posting!!

I will go to the store tomorrow and take a look at the rifle again, checking a little closer and inspecting the scope adapter rail that's on it. This may be the most economical solution. Thanks again everyone.
I don’t think you’ll go wrong with that purchase if you decide to buy it! I would say this, look carefully, it’s just at the price range that you could pickup a new CZ too. Try to find out which model of CZ 452 it is and what the barrel length is. A 24” could be a trainer or the lux model. A 28” will be an UltraLux. The UltraLux I would take at that price if the condition is flawless. If it’s either a trainer or a Lux you can pretty much pickup a brand new 455 in either version for the same price.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have a 455 Lux and it's a nice rifle but I have heard the 452 is supposed to be better. I guess there is some difference between the triggers and some internet experts are claiming that the removable barrel on the 455 affects the accuracy. I think you'll be thrilled with either one.
I got the Yodave trigger springs and I lightened the trigger to about 1.5 pounds. The kit came with some stuff to mess with the sear but I'm not gonna do that. It's scary light the way it is.

Not sure I’d say the 452 is better. My CZ 455 UltraLux outshot a 452 with glass in a club competition. I wasn’t the shooter, but did shoot both rifles. They are both fine rifles, but I don’t believe the 452 claim which I have heard on different forums in the past. It boils down to feel and personal preference. I will say this, I have no intention of switching barrels, I adore the long barrel. I have tinkered with the idea of buying a shorter trainer one day, but then I shoot my UltraLux and I think why. Perhaps my only reason would be to have a version I would take apart and experiment with.

Hiker, see if they will let you dry fire them both or buy a couple snap caps. As I said, my 455 has a great 2 lb trigger. Not as good as my Kidd 10/22 triggers, but very good. See which you prefer. My favorite was the trigger on my now-sold 453 but both of my CZ triggers are good.

Also, CZ marks their barrels with the year of manufacture so you can see how old that 452 is.

Sika, if you want a shorter barrel, see if you can find a 455 Scout. It has a short length of pull but shoulders well for me. Barrel is threaded. It haunts my daydreams.

Bucolic wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 am Hiker, see if they will let you dry fire them both or buy a couple snap caps. As I said, my 455 has a great 2 lb trigger. Not as good as my Kidd 10/22 triggers, but very good. See which you prefer. My favorite was the trigger on my now-sold 453 but both of my CZ triggers are good.

Also, CZ marks their barrels with the year of manufacture so you can see how old that 452 is.

Sika, if you want a shorter barrel, see if you can find a 455 Scout. It has a short length of pull but shoulders well for me. Barrel is threaded. It haunts my daydreams.
I don’t really want a shorter barrel. I just couldn’t bring myself to start modifying an UltraLux. I was thinking a trainer with a 24” barrel might be a better candidate for experiments. LOL.

Ok I went back to the LGS and took another look at it. It is a CZ 452-2E ZKM Ultra Lux with a 28+inch barrel, with iron sights, and an adapter to make the 11mm scope mount fit normal size rings. It is in perfect condition with a tag asking $395. We bargained down to $350. I said "is that all, what makes it so expensive?" He replied, "It's Christmas, $325." I said "come to mama!" I put it on lay away since I'm still broke from the annual meeting.

Thanks so much to all for your wisdom!!!!

Hiker wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:13 pm Ok I went back to the LGS and took another look at it. It is a CZ 452-2E ZKM Ultra Lux with a 28+inch barrel, with iron sights, and an adapter to make the 11mm scope mount fit normal size rings. It is in perfect condition with a tag asking $395. We bargained down to $350. I said "is that all, what makes it so expensive?" He replied, "It's Christmas, $325." I said "come to mama!" I put it on lay away since I'm still broke from the annual meeting.

Thanks so much to all for your wisdom!!!!
Yay!! Congrats!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Bucolic wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:38 am By the way, CZ USA maintains a web site with links to PDFs of their manuals. I checked and they have one for the 455. Check here: https://cz-usa.com/support/download/
Oh thanks so much, I can read all about it while it is in layaway. :yahoo: