10/22 Upgrades?

I just bought a new 10/22 carbine. I took it to the range and shot 50 rounds through it and I'm already ready to start tinkering. What are people's favorite upgrades? I think first off will be a nice scope ( may actually just buy a nice scope for my Ruger American Rimfire and put that rifle's cheap scope on the 10/22 but maybe not). Triggers? Stocks? Heavy Barrel?

10/22 Upgrades?

Oh my, what a good question.

As a survivor of the 1022 upgrade slippery slope, having spent several $thousands on five 10/22s, I feel qualified to respond.

First, shoot the hell out of your stock rifle. Get comfortable with it and objectively consider its good and bad points. You are likely to find that you are not enamored with the trigger so that is a good place to start. Ruger sells a drop in upgrade that some like. You can get your stock trigger cleaned up for a reasonable price. I have had good luck with Brimstone Gunsmithing. Their tier two upgrade gives you a nice trigger for about $75. At the other end of the spectrum are the Kidd triggers (look at coolguyguns.com). For $200you can get a single stage incredible trigger with an adjustable break. And for $350 a two-stage trigger that can be set to break at less than one pound. I run four of the single stage and one two stage kidd triggers. I have not heard glowing reviews of the Timney triggers but have no personal experience with them.

You also probably want to fix the bolt lock back so you can slingshot the bolt like any other rationally designed semi.

From there, the sky is the limit. Personally, I love the Kidd products but they are expensive. Think about what you will use your rifle for - small game, target, plinking, etc. as you know you can change most everything and your options are wide. Bull barrels are great but they are heavy if you are going to tote the rifle around all day. There are a number of lightweight barrel options out there. I have heard complaints about the Whistle Pig barrels but I have no experience with them. Once again, the Kidds are nice but hard to install. I have two heavy Kidd’s two lightweight Kidd’s and a nice Feddersen tapered barrel. The latter are nice and pretty reasonable. Some love the Green Mountain barrels but I cannot comment on them. If you have a trust fund, consider a Lilja barrel.

Here are a couple cheap upgrades:

1. As I mentioned, fix the bolt hold back. You can do this with judicious use of a file (I am sure there are on line directions for this) or buy a new plate for about $10 here http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Auto-Bo ... _p_36.html

2. Replace the bolt buffer. You can go with one of the plastic ones or buy a kidd buffer for about $6. I like the latter since they will not break unexpectedly. Here http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-22LR-Bo ... _p_12.html

3. I replace the receiver pins with the Kidd pins that are more secure and stable. Here http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Threade ... _p_53.html

4. Polish the inside of your receiver with a scotch brite and A mild solvent. Hoppes #9 works okay. Smooth it out but don’t remove any material. Work it until the bolt moves as smooth as the proverbial baby’s bottom.

5. If you are having extraction problems, replace the extractor blade with a kidd or Volquartsen extractor. http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Extractor_p_14.html

6. Think about getting a torque wrench. Torque the v-block bolts to 20 pounds. Experiment with the torque on the action bolt. Mine shoot best at about 15 inch-pounds.

7. If your recoil rod and spring are not smooth, you can polish them with some difficulty or you spend $30 and go with this kit. http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Bolt-Ha ... _p_34.html . It makes it a little harder to install your bolt but you can get the hang of it.

Also, you might look at the 1022 forums at rimfirecentral.com. Lots of good info there and not a lot of aggravation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am, edited 6 times in total.

Re: 10/22 Upgrades?

Bucolic wrote:Oh my, what a good question.

As a survivor of the 1022 upgrade slippery slope, having spent several $thousands on five 10/22s, I feel qualified to respond.
None more so.

<snip good advice for brevity>

Bucolic wrote: Also, you might look at the 1022 forums at rimfirecentral.com. Lots of good info there are not a lot of aggravation.
Seconded. Just remember no politics if you post there....
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Oh my god, I was just waiting for Bucolic to find this thread...

His #1 would have been my first suggestion last night too when I read your question.

#2 is what I also did but went to Da local hardware store and found a nylon bolt of the same diameter and cut that to fit w my Dremel. Because I'm cheap and it's done. Feels so good on multiple levels (including "buy local").

Dang, I didn't even realize #6 was a thing!?!
Last edited by Bisbee on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The bolts are going into steel, with a steel block, so I just cranked it down (with a mechanic's touch of course) so it won't back out. What happens when you overtighten?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

10/22 Upgrades?

The receiver is not steel so overtightening can deform the receiver. It’s a cast alloy. Depending on what other pressure points you have on the barrel, you can deform the barrel and or change its harmonics. You also typically will compress the stock. All these stray forces may degrade the repeatability of the rifle with changing torque or conditions (humidity)

All but my Feddersen barrels are free-floated but I did not want to recommend this as a first step. It does seem to reduce the torque effect. For a good time, get a kidd receiver with a rear tang and then you have two action bolts like a real rifle. Couple this with a free floated barrel and life is good.

I just added #7...
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10/22 Upgrades?

Somebody STOP ME!

Here is a list of random 10/22 aftermarket stuff I have had good luck with:

1. Altamont Co. stocks altamontco.com. Particularly the Barracuda for a fast, lightweight stock.

2. Victor Company Titan stock - a heavy stock that allows a rear tang. Very stiff and stable. No need to bed it?

3. Burris Signature Zee Rings - great rings that incorporate spherical bearings so you can dial in extra elevation. Also they do not introduce stress in the scope.

4. Warne quick disconnect rings -so you can share a scope or swap it quickly for a red dot.

5. The OP asked about scopes. So many to choose from. I have had good luck with the Mueller APV. Good value for about $150.

6. If you want high capacity magazines, use only the Ruger BX-25 mags.

Anyone else? Bueller?

Bucolic... you may have to add a new keyboard to your buy list if you wear this one out typing about 10/22's. Because we all know you are not typing with your thumbs on a smartphone. If you are, you may need a visit to the emergency room soon. But we all know you are probably typing on an old Pentium 186 machine running Windows '95. Because you are old. And can afford nice guns.

10/22 Upgrades?

Thanks, Bisbee. It’s actually worse than that. I typed all that on my iPad...

And yes, I am old. Unfortunately, since retirement, I need to cut back a bit. The nice thing about 1022s is that you can upgrade them incrementally until you have replaced all the constituent parts and then you have two rifles, one of which will need upgrades. Hence the slippery slope. I thought I was cured but I just put a Kidd trigger in my little Frankenruger carbine.

Oooo ooooo! I just thought of something else!

7. I love the Gunsmither tools (http://www.gunsmithertools.com/index.html). Particularly the bore mop and clean and the bolt bar.

Bucolic wrote:Thanks, Bisbee. It’s actually worse than that. I typed all that on my iPad...

And yes, I am old. Unfortunately, since retirement, I need to cut back a bit. The nice thing about 1022s is that you can upgrade them incrementally until you have replaced all the constituent parts and then you have two rifles, one of which will need upgrades. Hence the slippery slope. I thought I was cured but I just put a Kidd trigger in my little Frankenruger carbine.

Oooo ooooo! I just thought of something else!

7. I love the Gunsmither tools (http://www.gunsmithertools.com/index.html). Particularly the bore mop and clean and the bolt bar.
You really HAVE got it bad, haven't you? :yes:
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

iPad?!? Are you typing using both hands on that screen-keyboard or punching it out with just two fingers?

10/22 Upgrades?

p0lyhuman wrote:Nobody has mentioned an easy trigger upgrade that makes a big difference:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10162 ... ymer-black
Yeah, that’s the drop in kit from Ruger that i referred to. I understand it is pretty good but I also have heard that the pull varies from unit to unit so, if you are interested, it’s a good idea to try them out. I understand that the packaging lets you test them before buying but I am not sure of that. I think it is a great option for somebody looking for a significant upgrade to the stock trigger but is not looking to wring the ultimate performance out of the rifle.

As with so many things, the cost/benefit curve for updates gets really steep really fast.

I am addicted to the heroin of 1022 triggers. Sweet, sweet, Kidds.

They're fine out of the box. I'd add some magazines and some kind of sights, as the factory sights are tiny. I'd either a red dot or a modest scope, like Weaver's rimfire 2-7x33. I generally find the factory parts to be the most reliable.
Yet she persisted.

The first thing I got was a scope, went with the Mueller APT Tactical.

Shot about 200 rounds through it last weekend. Everything was great but I have to say I hate the LOP on the stock, between that and the eye relief on the scope I ended up struggling to get a comfortable position with the rifle on my shoulder, so it looks like a new stock is the first big upgrade.