Re: The .22LR and all those names

Bucolic wrote:^+1. Agreed. Life is short; shoot quality .22 LR.
I feel that way about booze. ;) I do have some nicer Eley Tenex that I've been afraid to use. Next time I'm at the range and feel focused, I think I'll do a comparo.

I wonder though- at what distance does better quality translate to tighter groups? 15 yards seems pretty close still. 25 yards? 50?
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

There are two main types of .22lr rounds, high velocity and standard velocity. Out of a rifle, HV is supersonic and SV is slower than sound and, therefore, does not produce that crack sound. Hv often has copper coated bullets, but not always. Sv is usually plain lead with perhaps a waxy coating. Generally speaking, hv is for hunting and for reliably cycling auto-loaders, while sv is for target shooting. Having said that, a lot of people use hv for practice.
Yet she persisted.

I've had good luck with Norma Match (40gr lead, 1135fps) - wait for them to go on sale and you can get them for $0.08 to $0.07 a round.

Federal HV Match (40gr lead, 1200fps) also work well - about the same price as the Norma on sale

My biggest consideration when picking .22 ammo is enough oomph to blow back the slide reliably on the Woodsmans. Both the Norma and Federal run through the Colts with zero problems. No problems with revolvers or bolt actions.

Accuracy is good with both, but the Federal may be slightly better at longer ranges (out to 100 yards).