Sellier & Bellot 9mm differences

Hi! My LGS allows 1 box of 9mm per visit, and has only Sellier & Bellot FMJ. The first time I went, I picked up a box. The second time, same. Now I see they are actually different. One is SB9A and says 115grs 7.5g, the other says SB9B 124grs 8.0g. What differences can I expect in my G19? Anything I should be aware of?
(Newbie here please be gentle...)

Re: Sellier & Bellot 9mm differences

As a newbie, IMHO, you won't notice any difference, especially if you're shooting at 5, 7, or 10 yards. You probably won't notice anything at 15 yards either. 124g is a slightly heavier bullet than 115g--that's just the bullet, not the whole cartridge. It should be slightly slower and over a longer distance like 50 or 100 yards may drop more--gravity doesn't change and the longer it takes to get to the target the more it drops. No matter how fast a bullet flies it drops at the same rate.

I'm sure the more experienced shooters and reloaders here will give you a more accurate and detailed explanation. But, the bottom line is: Over shorter distances you won't notice anything.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

At short ranges lighter pistol bullets tend to hit lower. When you fire, recoil begins to rotate the pistol barrel up in your hand. Lighter bullets move faster, so they leave the barrel before it has a chance to move up too far.

The difference is probably not noticeable at 7 yards, but you can see it at 20 yards.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

No noticeable difference in recoil from your Glock and both punch holes in paper nicely. 124gr hits metal targets a wee bit little harder to help knock them off base.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Benredbeard wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:24 am Wow the box tells you the powder load?? I'd expect a less sharp recoil impulse from the second formula. Both should work fine.
Yeah... 8g probably does not designate powder charge. 8 grains of most smokeless powder would probably lead to catastrophic overpressure in a 9mm case.

“Ruger Only”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

K9s wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:20 pm I couldn't get past "1 box of 9mm per visit". Can you not buy bulk off the interwebs when ammo is available in the future?
Not sure exactly what you mean. There’s an ammunition shortage, especially in 9mm. This local store has limited inventory and is more interested in having some, albeit with one box limit per customer, available throughout, rather than to sell its entire ammunition inventory to just a few hoarders. It’s $20/box rather than some insane price. Of course I can buy more in the future, but that future is not here yet, and when it is, this store will no longer have a one box limit. Incidentally, they have plenty of .40 so no limits on that for now. I’m quite happy with this store’s policy.

If you have a good online source for similar quality 9mm at that price, feel free to post a link.

Northern wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:33 am
K9s wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:20 pm I couldn't get past "1 box of 9mm per visit". Can you not buy bulk off the interwebs when ammo is available in the future?
Not sure exactly what you mean. There’s an ammunition shortage, especially in 9mm. This local store has limited inventory and is more interested in having some, albeit with one box limit per customer, available throughout, rather than to sell its entire ammunition inventory to just a few hoarders. It’s $20/box rather than some insane price. Of course I can buy more in the future, but that future is not here yet, and when it is, this store will no longer have a one box limit. Incidentally, they have plenty of .40 so no limits on that for now. I’m quite happy with this store’s policy.

If you have a good online source for similar quality 9mm at that price, feel free to post a link.
Try GunBroker.com. I bought 1k of Speer 9m TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) 124 for $595, including everything, a couple of weeks ago.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

derek wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:16 pm I have 500 rounds of 124gr Sig Elite Ball en route for $200 shipped. Last week I got 1k rounds of 115gr Blazer Brass for $350 shipped. It’s possible to find ammo for mostly reasonable prices if you have the time/ability to check sites regularly and act quickly.
You’re finding good prices! I have not had time to check sites and don’t even know what sites are worth the the time to check.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 am Sig won't ship ammo to NJ. $0.35/round for Blazer Brass 115 is, these days, an outrageously good price, as is $0.40/round for Sig JHP any time.
Bummer. Whenever I see those no-ship warnings, I feel relieved to live in a liberal state with strong libertarian roots.
Northern wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:30 am Sig JHP from Sig is $1.00/rd this week. I think the price he got above was FMJ?
Correct. No JHP for that cheap.