S&B 124gr FMJ bits in gun

We took a trip to the range last week and shot about 150 rounds each through our M&P shield 9 and CZ SP-01. The ammo performed nicely, only one FTF on the shield and I totally limp wristed it so I can’t blame it on the ammo.

Got home and stripped the pistols down to clean them and both had tiny little brass colored bits inside. Is this normal? I don’t recall seeing this with some fmj Remington ammo I used before. Can’t blame it on the gun shaving bullets unless both are doing it. Just wondering if I should move on to another brand when these are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: S&B 124gr FMJ bits in gun

lurker wrote:send your pics to S&B along with the lot # from the box and see what they say.

I contacted them today and they confirmed that it is an inert filler and while it usually burns or gets thrown down barrel, some batches seem to have a bit more than others. They assured me that it won’t effect performance but I’m still not hot on the idea of a bunch of wood chips in my gun.

Re: S&B 124gr FMJ bits in gun

I’ve used S&B 115 & 124 and is one of my favorites...never had that on my pistol afterwards. Just FYI, BassPro/Cabelas sells Herter’s select grade ammo (115gr) for 9.99 a box and its made by S&B. It’s my go to range ammo when in stock. There’s some weird glitch on their website that won’t let me ship to the store or my house in Florida. There’s no shipping restrictions here because I’ve been buying from luckygunner for years.