what cartridges do you shoot?

some of us got to discussing why i don't use 9mm parabellum, so i thought i'd list what i do use.
so here are the pistol-caliber cartridges and the number of pieces that use them.(and 1 cap and ball, .44)
.22lr 2 guns
.25acp 4 guns
.380 1 gun
.45acp 2 guns
and soon, 7.63x25, 1 gun
there's always a little inertia away from buying a handgun in another cartridge, because that's another ammo type to stockpile
what do you use?

oh, yeah, forgot. long guns.
.58 1
.54 2
45-70 1
30-40 krag 1
30-06 2
762x39 1
12ga 1
Last edited by lurker on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: what cartridges do you shoot?

Too effing many. I could live without the 9mm and the 45 acp but not without the 357/38 and the 45 Colt in pistol calibers.
I’m also way saturated with battle rifles and their obscure cartridges.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Hmmm...

Handguns:

22 Short (NAA mini-revolver)
22LR (a few gunz)
22WMR (S&W 48 Classic)

25 ACP (Mauser 1910/14)

32 ACP (Sauer 38H)

32 S&W Long (could also shoot S&W short, but don't)
32 H&R Magnum
327 Federal Magnum - those three in the SP101 and Single-seven which could fire 32ACP, but Ruger and many others advise against it.

7.5 x 22R Swedish Ordnance (Husqvarna 1887)

38 S&W (Enfield No. 2 Mk1*)

Rifle-fodder (apart from 22LR) 204 Ruger.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

32 H&R mag
38 spcl
357 mag
9mm
7.62 x 54R
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Gosh, I only have a pump shotgun and maybe a wheel gun and a 1911 tucked away. And maybe a hunting rifle. And maybe a few more non-frightening, non-tactical, non-assault-style firearms that use another caliber or two or more. You may have seen some here.

Seriously, I tried to limit my calibers until the panics hit and some ammo was difficult to find.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm Gosh, I only have a pump shotgun and maybe a wheel gun and a 1911 tucked away. And maybe a hunting rifle. And maybe a few more non-frightening, non-tactical, non-assault-style firearms that use another caliber or two or more. You may have seen some here.

Seriously, I tried to limit my calibers until the panics hit and some ammo was difficult to find.
oh, you mean for the guns we didn't lose in the tragic boating accident? :oops2: nope, nothing, nada. :sorry:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I was pretty good about only using a few common calibers (mostly 9mm) until the past few years.

I tried to avoid 40... until it was always available when other common calibers were scarce. Then I didn't avoid 40S&W.

I tried to avoid 32ACP until a little Tomcat fell into my lap.

I tried to avoid 5.56 & .223 until the prices of good ARs were no worse than AKs. Also 7.62x54R and 5.45x39 prices skyrocketed as the surplus ammo dried up.

Now, I just let it roll. When I see a good sale, I buy. When prices go up, I shoot something else.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

OK - I'm deliberately boring in this regard. My personality basically requires that I hoard any caliber I can shoot, so I try hard to limit the number of calibers:

.22lr x 2 (rifle and weather pistol)

.38/.357 x 4 (1 rifle 3 revolvers)

.380 ACP x 2 (Sig P238 and a crappy S&W Bodyguard with a terrible trigger)

9mm x 3 (2 Sigs and the Ruger Blackhawk has a 9mm cylinder)

.30-06 (M1917 Enfield)

My least stockpiled round is the .30-06 with about 100 rounds. The most, of course, is .22LR with about 4,000 rounds currently.