Re: Democratic Massachusetts Governor Healey's Administration to train police to inspect FFLs

Maybe because ATF inspections aren't enough.
Historically, most FFLs are inspected every 3–5 years, with the ATF prohibited by law from inspecting a firearms business more than once every 12 months (except in limited circumstances).
As a federal firearms licensee, you're bound to get audited by the ATF at some point. The Gun Control Act permits inspections that are at least twelve months apart, but truthfully, they only happen every few years. The goal of the audit is more benign than most expect.
Plus
The deputy director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives broke with the White House on Wednesday over the administration’s 2020 budget proposal, saying it would further hollow out an agency already straining for resources.

Thomas Brandon told lawmakers on Capitol Hill that under Trump’s latest budget proposal, his agency would lose 377 positions to attrition.

“You hear people say, ‘trim the fat.’ Then we trimmed into muscle and now we’re trimming into bone,” Mr. Brandon testified to a House Appropriations subcommittee. “ATF won’t be able to do what it can do today.”

Re: Democratic Massachusetts Governor Healey's Administration to train police to inspect FFLs

F4FEver wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:20 am
Historically, most FFLs are inspected every 3–5 years, with the ATF prohibited by law from inspecting a firearms business more than once every 12 months (except in limited circumstances).
As a federal firearms licensee, you're bound to get audited by the ATF at some point. The Gun Control Act permits inspections that are at least twelve months apart, but truthfully, they only happen every few years. The goal of the audit is more benign than most expect.
Plus
The deputy director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives broke with the White House on Wednesday over the administration’s 2020 budget proposal, saying it would further hollow out an agency already straining for resources.

Thomas Brandon told lawmakers on Capitol Hill that under Trump’s latest budget proposal, his agency would lose 377 positions to attrition.

“You hear people say, ‘trim the fat.’ Then we trimmed into muscle and now we’re trimming into bone,” Mr. Brandon testified to a House Appropriations subcommittee. “ATF won’t be able to do what it can do today.”
ATF inspections are not enough according politicians, like Healey, who are in favor of every conceivable obstacle to selling firearms they can come up with and the ATF itself. Color me surprised.

Who cares about the 2020 budget proposal? It is 2023, and thankfully Trump is not the president. The ATF has been revoking more licenses than it has in decades under the Biden Administration and is running amok with issuing diktats redefining terms to make law. They are doing just fine. It is no secret the ATF is an extremely corrupt organization, though, so I would be cool with their budget being constrained.

In my dealings with ATF over the decades I have never found them to be anything less than honest, helpful, polite and willing to research issues when they don't have an immediate answer. I've never seen any evidence that ATF is a corrupt organization.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

AdministrativeReload wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:15 am
F4FEver wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:20 am
Plus

ATF inspections are not enough according politicians, like Healey, who are in favor of every conceivable obstacle to selling firearms they can come up with and the ATF itself. Color me surprised.

Who cares about the 2020 budget proposal? It is 2023, and thankfully Trump is not the president. The ATF has been revoking more licenses than it has in decades under the Biden Administration and is running amok with issuing diktats redefining terms to make law. They are doing just fine. It is no secret the ATF is an extremely corrupt organization, though, so I would be cool with their budget being constrained.
So selling illegal firearms is a obstacle?
The top 3 reasons a FFL is revoked.
1.) transferring a firearm to a prohibited person
2.) failing to run a required background check
3.) falsifying records, such as a firearms transaction form