Pittman-Robertson Act (1937)

I did not know about this.
On this episode of the Resistance Library Podcast, Sam and Dave discuss the Pittman-Robertson Act. It’s unusual to think that Second Amendment proponents and members of the freedom movement would celebrate the day that a tax took effect. But that’s precisely what the Pittman-Robertson Act is – a tax often celebrated by gun enthusiasts, patriots and pro-freedom elements in the United States. Its story is one of the more fascinating in the history of American legislation.

Signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 2, 1937, the Pittman-Robertson Act, known officially as the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937, does not establish a new tax. Instead, it commandeered an existing 11-percent excise tax on rifles, shotguns and ammunition, and a 10-percent tax on pistols. Rather than going into the general fund of the United States Treasury, the Pittman-Robertson Act earmarked this money for the Department of the Interior and its wildlife preservation efforts. The money is then distributed to the states and can be spent how they see fit.

This was a coup for the Second Amendment and liberty movements. Rather than the money going toward a federal government interested in stripping them of their rights, it went to the Department of the Interior, with interests in keeping the American wilderness wild at heart. With this bill, hunters and firearms enthusiasts continued their role as the unsung heroes of the American conservation movement. In fact, Federal Ammunition was instrumental in getting the bill made into law.

You can read the full article “The Pittman-Robertson Act: The Forgotten History of the Celebrated Tax on Firearms and Ammo” at Ammo.com.
https://ammodotcom.libsyn.com/the-pittm ... s-and-ammo

FDR. Whaddya know?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Pittman-Robertson Act (1937)

lurker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:33 am i'm under the impression that FDR, in fact both of the roosevelts, were populists at heart, despite their wealth. please correct me if i'm wrong.

That's how I think of them, TR the Trust Buster going after Wall Street and FDR and all his New Deal programs. The Roosevelts were old money, their ancestors settled in New Amsterdam after emigrating from the Netherlands. The had a lot of class and the personal touch with the common people. As opposed to heartless nouveau riche like Trump and his dysentery.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

wings wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:44 pm Also egregious racists. Don't get me wrong, they were products of their times and I admire many of their achievements. I am also trying to be honest with myself about their flaws. Every time I find myself missing Eisenhower Republicans, I remember Operation Wetback.
I'm not sure that's completely true. TR drew heavy flack for having Booker T. Washington to the White House for dinner. But the issues the Black communities faced were not their primary focus. And neither even VAGUELY compares to Woodrow Wilson, who deliberately and cruelly re-segregated the Federal Workforce.

Between TR and Ike, clearly the MOST integrationist Presidents were Warren Harding and Truman.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:00 am
wings wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:44 pm Also egregious racists. Don't get me wrong, they were products of their times and I admire many of their achievements. I am also trying to be honest with myself about their flaws. Every time I find myself missing Eisenhower Republicans, I remember Operation Wetback.
I'm not sure that's completely true. TR drew heavy flack for having Booker T. Washington to the White House for dinner. But the issues the Black communities faced were not their primary focus. And neither even VAGUELY compares to Woodrow Wilson, who deliberately and cruelly re-segregated the Federal Workforce.

Between TR and Ike, clearly the MOST integrationist Presidents were Warren Harding and Truman.

Yes, I agree in the context of the day Harding and Truman were ahead of their times. Woodrow Wilson who was our most educated president was a racist, Truman who supported the creation of the State of Israel was anti-Semitic and black civil rights leaders were homophobic. History has to be examined contextually.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan