Democratic Florida Rep files bill to ban ammo sales without background checks

South Florida lawmaker again files ‘Jaime’s Law’ to require background checks for bullet sales
State Rep. Dan Daley, D-Coral Springs, and a Stoneman Douglas graduate, first filed the bill in the 2020 legislative session. It never made it to the House floor.
Current law prohibits someone who can’t buy or possess a firearm from purchasing ammunition. But ammunition vendors aren’t required to run background checks on those buying bullets to make sure they’re allowed to do so.
“It’s not the ‘we’re coming to take your guns’ everyone seems to think it is,” he said. “We’re trying to be as reasonable as possible while getting to the root of the issue — a bad guy with a gun can walk into a store and buy as much ammunition as you like.”

Re: Democratic Florida Rep files bill to ban ammo sales without background checks

So what? What chance does it have to get through their Republican-controlled legislature and then not vetoed by DeSantis?
It's a stiffer rule than we have in NJ.

Since WE have the Firearms Purchase ID Card that's harder to get than a passport or driver's license, you just show it and that's all you need.

Bud's (and I presume other online venders) require that you submit your NJ FPID # before they'll ship you ammo.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Democratic Florida Rep files bill to ban ammo sales without background checks

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 am So what? What chance does it have to get through their Republican-controlled legislature and then not vetoed by DeSantis?

Since WE have the Firearms Purchase ID Card that's harder to get than a passport or driver's license, you just show it and that's all you need.

Bud's (and I presume other online venders) require that you submit your NJ FPID # before they'll ship you ammo.
It reinforces that given a chance democrats will advance strict ill-phrased legislation that will not address the underlying reasons for violence.

The intent of legislation like this is to disarm the poor. The affluent will have no problems getting cards and jumping through whatever hoop that needs to be jumped through. That's called privilege.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:53 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 am So what? What chance does it have to get through their Republican-controlled legislature and then not vetoed by DeSantis?

It reinforces that given a chance democrats will advance strict ill-phrased legislation that will not address the underlying reasons for violence.

The intent of legislation like this is to disarm the poor. The affluent will have no problems getting cards and jumping through whatever hoop that needs to be jumped through. That's called privilege.
You're not wrong, but I'm cannot figure out how to get Dems off that anymore than how to get ReThugs off calling BOTH Global Warming and the Covid Pandemic hoaxes.

Still, given the massive challenges facing every state and the nation, it's time for Dems to put their gun control clap-trap ideas on the back-burner, down in the root-cellar, if they won't trash it completely. Funny, the REAL way to reduce gun control is follow what Bernie and AOC push--reduce income and wealth inequality to Canada's level.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:21 am was talking with our town alderman (african-american vietnam-era marine)with whom i've been to the range, and said that we need to get the anti-gun plank out of the dem party platform. he seemed confused, as if it's not in there. is it, or is gun control something individual candidates promote?
It's there but many democrats refuse to admit it is.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:25 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:21 am was talking with our town alderman (african-american vietnam-era marine)with whom i've been to the range, and said that we need to get the anti-gun plank out of the dem party platform. he seemed confused, as if it's not in there. is it, or is gun control something individual candidates promote?
It's there but many democrats refuse to admit it is.
yes, it's in there, p 47
https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/
thanks for presuading me to look it up.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?