Everytown claims Texas' firearm sign law violates 1A

Bay Area UUC v. Paxton
Everytown is suing on behalf of a church and business who don't want to have to put up signs to keep lawful carriers out.
https://twitter.com/2Aupdates/status/13 ... 22920?s=19
The Unitarian Universalists are very much into firearm prohibition.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Everytown claims Texas' firearm sign law violates 1A

Do those signs carry "force of law" in Texas? In several of the States I carry regularly in, one can post a "no forearms permitted" sign on the door but it carries no weight. There will be no criminal charges against folks ignoring the sign and the best they can hope for would be to ask persons they discover *are* carrying leave the premises/building and then charge them with trespassing (usually a misdemeanor) if they don't leave.

No idea about Texas but I suspect the signs do not carry force of law.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:48 am Bay Area UUC v. Paxton
Everytown is suing on behalf of a church and business who don't want to have to put up signs to keep lawful carriers out.
https://twitter.com/2Aupdates/status/13 ... 22920?s=19
The Unitarian Universalists are very much into firearm prohibition.
All religions are the same in that they wish to impose their beliefs upon you, and if you don't accept it, they'll burn you at the stake.

Burnings at the stake mysteriously flew out of favor as firearms possession became more wide spread. Food for thought.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I carry concealed, so really don't much care about signage. The gun signs in Texas that have a red slash over a gun has no effect; The 30.06 & 30.07 signs these yahoos are bitching about DO have the law behind them. 06 means no concealed carry; 07 means no open carry. Both signs required on business door or window entry areas. I do obey the signs if posted where and in regulation with law. There is also a 51% sign for bars that prevents any carry which designates they sell more booze than food and bars do not allow guns open or concealed. However, the nightly news pretty much dispels many obeying that law. Most establishments in my area have the 07 signs only, meaning you may carry concealed.

As others stated earlier, no signs leaves it up to owner and I posit that they take their life in their hands telling an armed person to vacate the premise, considering the difficulty with making people wear mask during the Trump pandemic, it's scary times. The signs take some of the onus off the establishment. As for churches, I really don't give a damn one way or another, as it was against the law initially - now up to the church, signs or no signs. Too many church shootings here and around the nation and I expect that to rise, particularly if Trump wins in November, I wouldn't go near a black church or Jewish synagogue. I'm atheist and attend no religious services, period.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Yeah, I don't conceal carry but when I see the "no guns" signs it seems like a courteous way to say "please no open carry" verse the 20.06 which is NO CARRY PER LAW, and the 20.07 which is NO OPEN CARRY PER LAW.

The little no gun signs are like saying "hey don't be a dick and we have no issues here". If I were carrying, it would be concealed, and I would be extra considerate about inadvertent printing or showing. The businesses with those signs tend to be actually pretty chill if you are chill.

Also one of the advantages of the open carry laws in Texas was state as "reduce concern over printing or showing a firearm while concealed carrying" meant to cut down on police calls. Or at least that is how I saw it stated many places. These non-legal binding "no guns" signs seem to be "don't scare people please" IMO
Texan Liberal interested in guns

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am Do those signs carry "force of law" in Texas? In several of the States I carry regularly in, one can post a "no forearms permitted" sign on the door but it carries no weight. There will be no criminal charges against folks ignoring the sign and the best they can hope for would be to ask persons they discover *are* carrying leave the premises/building and then charge them with trespassing (usually a misdemeanor) if they don't leave.

VooDoo
the 30.06 and 30.07 signs do carry the weight of law behind them.

They also have to be fairly large and also conspicuous.

I go to one place in Texas regularly that has a 30.07 sign, but none that have 30.06 (no concealed carry).

Without the 30.06/07 signs, a business can ask you to leave if they figure out you have a gun, but as long as you do leave they can't get any charges filed against you no matter what other signs they have up.

And this lawsuit is just a waste of time and money. They are going to get laughed out of court on this one.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

senorgrand wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 pm is it a 1A issue when the county forces you to display your health inspection results or when the state requires you to post employee rights' notices?
Even more to the point, the church and coffee shop are not being forced to display anything. They could leave the signs down completely, or put up their own non-compliant signs. All that would mean is that they can't file charges against someone who ignores the sign
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

CDFingers wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 am All religions are the same in that they wish to impose their beliefs upon you, and if you don't accept it, they'll burn you at the stake.

Burnings at the stake mysteriously flew out of favor as firearms possession became more wide spread. Food for thought.
Burn the heretic!

Legal or not, it's properly uncivil to carry somewhere against the expressed wishes of the property owner. We should all aspire to do better.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:13 am Wasn't it Texas where a concealed carrier dropped a guy with a shot gun who was engaged in nefarious deed, IN a church?
I'm not sure. Are you thinking of this incident?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/29/us/churc ... index.html

I do know that when a guy shot up a church in Sutherland Springs, he was shot at in the parking lot while trying to get away by two guys with an AR-15, and they chased him down the road until he lost control of his vehicle due to blood loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherlan ... h_shooting
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

VodoundaVinci wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am Do those signs carry "force of law" in Texas? In several of the States I carry regularly in, one can post a "no forearms permitted" sign on the door but it carries no weight. There will be no criminal charges against folks ignoring the sign and the best they can hope for would be to ask persons they discover *are* carrying leave the premises/building and then charge them with trespassing (usually a misdemeanor) if they don't leave.

VooDoo
I am not an attorney, but this is my take on the way it works here in Florida: (a concealed carry only state)

The Sign that says no firearms, on it's own carries no legal weight. However, if you firearm is detected and you are asked to leave and you do not comply with an order to leave, you are guilty of trespassing. Simple trespass in Florida is a misdemeanor, however In Florida, trespassing with a firearm is a felony.

If I go into a Waffle House for a breakfast, I do not leave my concealed weapon in the car. If I were careless enough to expose my firearm and was asked to leave by one of the staff, I would put my money on the table, not wait for change, get up and walk out, and drive away, no lip, no attitude, and consider that the incident was my fault.

damnitman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:14 am If I go into a Waffle House for a breakfast, I do not leave my concealed weapon in the car. If I were careless enough to expose my firearm and was asked to leave by one of the staff, I would put my money on the table, not wait for change, get up and walk out, and drive away, no lip, no attitude, and consider that the incident was my fault.
I miss Waffle House. Not enough to make the 350 mile drive to my closest Waffle House though.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim