Re: Liberal Gun Politician

I was going to suggest Steve Bullock (Gov-MT, Senate candidate) but he apparently decided to toe the party line since the '18 midterms.
John Tester, (Senate-MT) has an A- from the NRA and owns guns.

Just the ones who pop to mind.

Edit: Depends on how much regulation you'll tolerate. Most Dems in the Senate support some regulation - e.g., the Feinstein amendment, banning sales to people on the terrorist watchlist. That said, there are some other centrist types in the Senate who own guns and/or endorse the 2nd, and would be the people to target to block major restrictions in a Dem sweep. Others might include:

Mark Warner (Sen-VA)
Michael Bennett (Sen-CO) - C+ NRA
Angus King (I-Senate-ME) has voted against assault weapon bans but supports 10-round magazine limits
and obviously Bernie.

JamesRiley wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 pm I suppose I could read more, but are any of you aware of any politician anywhere, running for office, who is a died-in-the-liberal on all points, and a no-compromise champion of the Second Amendment? Or is is that the Unicorn? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Unicorn. Not a single US politician listed in this thread is a "no-compromise champion of the Second Amendment."

Thank you for the references. I started reading the wiki write-ups on a few of them, and then it re-dawned on my failing brain what a silly question I had asked. I forgot about the party. DOH!

Membership in a party sufficiently disguises any tilt away from the platform. One must master the disguise of one's heart, prior to being accepted into the fold of a two-party system. (Although absence of heart apparently works for Republicans.)

How refreshing would it be to find a politician who spent his/her time in the enemy camp, away from the choir, engaging on the merits! The choir will see them over there, poking the opposition in the chest. And the opposition, well, win or lose, they will have been engaged by the fearless.

If a politician wants grass-roots money, I believe that is where it is at. I believe it would flood in for a candidate on the hunt, not before the cameras, but in the field where the enemy tries to sleep.

The complete opposite of Trump. Imagine a gun control advocate booking a speech or presentation before the NRA. Imagine the NRA refusing to book them. Imagine the opposite. Imagine. Imagine a contest of ideas in an actual contest, not for the hearts and minds of voters, but on the merits and for the truth of a matter asserted.

Then I woke up. I forgot, we are no longer in the "Enlightenment."

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am
JamesRiley wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 pm I suppose I could read more, but are any of you aware of any politician anywhere, running for office, who is a died-in-the-liberal on all points, and a no-compromise champion of the Second Amendment? Or is is that the Unicorn? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Unicorn. Not a single US politician listed in this thread is a "no-compromise champion of the Second Amendment."
EVERY right has circumstances where it doesn't apply. And 2A is no exception to that. Otherwise the Constitution is a suicide pact. Just like the "right" to not wear masks is killing people--Florida, California, and Texas each had over 130 Covid deaths yesterday, and Florida's over 110 already today.

But I got muh rights, and no commie-lib'rul's gonna tell ME to wear a mask! I also got muh right to sticka paper clip ina wall socket...and they ain't gonna tell me I caint do that neither!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am EVERY right has circumstances where it doesn't apply. And 2A is no exception to that.
In my personal opinion, the Second Amendment Right does not apply when the exercise thereof presents a substantial, credible threat to the security of a free state.

Traditional Bill of Rights burdens, standards, and scopes of review should apply in making that determination. I don't see why a pro-gun politician can't simply say that. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

They could then get on about their business of other liberal issues.

I'm no psychologist, so I can't opine on what kind of person it would take to appear before a Sandy Hook parent/teacher meeting and defend the foregoing, but I'd sure like to see it. Maybe just STFU and listen? I don't know. But that's the kind of metal that I think thinking people, on both sides, would have to grant at least a grudging respect.

Next train stop would be the Church of Life-No-Matter-What, where the candidate launched into why abortion is nobody's business but the woman and her doc. Next train stop . . . etc.

Instead, we find candidates engaging each other on the floor, at most, and usually just attending their own love-fests. I think they should go directly to the opposition people and talk to them. To hell with the politician (spit) the people supposedly elected to represent them. The ship of representation of the people done sailed a long time ago.

One of the problems with partisanship in modern American politics is that politicians do not feel - if ever they did - that they represent all of their constituents. They merely represent a party, and that party represents 50%+1 of the registered voters who could be arsed to show up on a given day. For a representative form of government, it is an ethical maladjustment on both sides of the aisle, no matter how you feel about policy.

In the modern demographic, most Dems live in cities with limited opportunities to shoot and little reason to own guns for defense or sport. For them, guns are simply a hazard to be avoided and controlled, not a tool for defense, hunting, or sport. Thus, the average Dem politician represents people who have little or no investment in the 2nd, and opposing gun rights is a safe, safe bet. It is only on the margins, in purple districts where small demographics like liberals with guns are still sufficient to make an electoral difference, where our particular niche has any leverage.

But we do have a niche. We do have representatives. That's where your letters and emails and phone calls should go.

Once November rolls by, we need to put together a little list of people to focus those letter-writing campaigns on.

Before Covid shut down going to the ranges, I did see more and more POC and Chasidim coming to shoot, and, I'm guessing it was in response to the horrendous rise in racist and anti-Semitic attacks immediately following Trump's election. And with this latest mess around the cold-blooded murders of POC, including people of Asian background, I'd think a WHOLE lot more on the left side of the line would be open to firearm ownership.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings and YT, thanks. I get the urban/rural divide. I can't help but wonder how many rural reds would come over if their guns were left alone (and I mean sacrosanct). Especially if the candidate "spoke their language." No offense to you urban types, but Trump is a city slicker. I can't believe he gets so much traction in the sticks. Plus, he's a pussy. Real gangsters might let underlings do the dirty work, but at least they are capable themselves. And then there's the religious thing. I remember when a Bible Thumper wouldn't dream of supporting an immoral, lying shyster like Trump (even if he was just trolling).

I guess some truth I picked up on Iron Snowflake says it best (paraphrased): Trump's attraction to many of his followers is simply that he hates who they hate. It really doesn't go any deeper than that.

Putin's no fool.

You'd think that veil could be pierced with the right person. I can't believe we can't find one in 320m.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:39 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am
EVERY right has circumstances where it doesn't apply. And 2A is no exception to that. Otherwise the Constitution is a suicide pact. Just like the "right" to not wear masks is killing people--Florida, California, and Texas each had over 130 Covid deaths yesterday, and Florida's over 110 already today.

But I got muh rights, and no commie-lib'rul's gonna tell ME to wear a mask! I also got muh right to sticka paper clip ina wall socket...and they ain't gonna tell me I caint do that neither!
There are threads on how far our rights extend and wearing masks, but the OP simply asked if there is a politician who is "a died-in-the-liberal on all points, and a no-compromise champion of the Second Amendment." There is not one.

No, purity isn't possible, but James is on it. Mark Warner was the pointy edge of the Dem wedge in VA politics, the first to crack the red wall. He ran for governor as the pro-2A centrist businessman against the GOP extremist so far right that former Republican governors cut ads against him. Sound familiar?

Point is, it worked. He was centrist enough, against an extremist, to get crossover votes and start turning the state purple. Tim Kaine, the other (D-VA) senator, is an avowed gun owner but well into "goat with a TP tube tied round his head" unicorn territory. Damned few progressives endorse gun rights. You have to pick your lines. The GOP got behind bump-stock bans real quick too.