I just got infringed...

OK, I spent $500 on a new hunting rifle that I will probably get in like three weeks. But since there is an ammo crunch and I can't mail-order ammo anymore, I thought I would start stocking-up.

Went to Big 5 yesterday and they had a nice stack of 7.62x39 Wolf. So I tried to buy some with my current valid California driver's license.

Nope -- because it's not Real Id, I need a second form of identification.

So I go back today with my birth certificate and my driver's license. Still a no-go. Apparently, because the last firearm I bought was at my old address, they would not allow me to purchase ammo for my new address.

Also, I thoughtfully provided a current utility bill to show my current address (which is not on my driver's license). This isn't as easy as it sounds these days, as most of my utility bills are paperless.

However, the clerk said that the document showing my current address actually needs to be a government document.

So, to buy my ammo, I need to go online to the DOJ website, change my address and provide THREE government documents before I can buy a single round of ammunition.

Fuck this noise.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: I just got infringed...

Bucolic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm Damn, you need to move to Pennsylvania...
Sorry, I ain't built for blizzards. I could move back to Oregon though.

There were two poor bastards from Oregon in the store today and they wanted a box of 22 lr. They didn't have Real ID's and had none of the other documentation -- so no ammo for them.

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 pm OK, I spent $500 on a new hunting rifle that I will probably get in like three weeks. But since there is an ammo crunch and I can't mail-order ammo anymore, I thought I would start stocking-up.

Went to Big 5 yesterday and they had a nice stack of 7.62x39 Wolf. So I tried to buy some with my current valid California driver's license.

So I go back today with my birth certificate and my driver's license. Still a no-go. Apparently, because the last firearm I bought was at my old address, they would not allow me to purchase ammo for my new address.

Also, I thoughtfully provided a current utility bill to show my current address (which is not on my driver's license). This isn't as easy as it sounds these days, as most of my utility bills are paperless.

However, the clerk said that the document showing my current address actually needs to be a government document.

So, to buy my ammo, I need to go online to the DOJ website, change my address and provide THREE government documents before I can buy a single round of ammunition.

Fuck this noise.
I gave away a stack of 7.62x39 Wolf not too long ago when I got rid of my rifles. IIRC it has been 2.99 a box so probably less then $20.00 for the whole stack when I last bought any 7.62x39 Wolf.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

In re the RealID thing, I refused to re-up my drivers license when the current one was still good for a couple years. Since my passport was about to expire, I renewed it and got a passport and a passport card. The latter is good for domestic and some international travel and is an acceptable federally-issued ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah -- my passport is long-expired. I'd still be screwed though, because the address is wrong.

I wonder how California Democrats would feel if Republicans required voters to provide three government-issued documents for voting or getting abortions or any of the other repressive bullshit they're inclined to do?

senorgrand wrote:
Bucolic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm Damn, you need to move to Pennsylvania...
Sorry, I ain't built for blizzards. I could move back to Oregon though.

There were two poor bastards from Oregon in the store today and they wanted a box of 22 lr. They didn't have Real ID's and had none of the other documentation -- so no ammo for them.
Florida it is then! ;)

I still don't understand how ammo background checks are supposed to reduce gun violence. We already have a background system for things that shoot ammo and we already have a system to remove guns from people who aren't legally allowed to have them (although the state is 30,000 felons behind). Are those two systems so weak we need a third time's a charm check on ammo? I definitely need to get some reloading supplies...

Gloating in GA...

Have about a dozen firearms, and only one NICS check.

Ammo? Sure, how much do you want? If you have a car we have a hand truck. If you have a truck we have a forklift. How many pallets..?

Last edited by rascally on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 pm OK, I spent $500 on a new hunting rifle that I will probably get in like three weeks. But since there is an ammo crunch and I can't mail-order ammo anymore, I thought I would start stocking-up.

Fuck this noise.
We should all feel safer, though.
senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:39 pm Yeah -- my passport is long-expired. I'd still be screwed though, because the address is wrong.

I wonder how California Democrats would feel if Republicans required voters to provide three government-issued documents for voting or getting abortions or any of the other repressive bullshit they're inclined to do?
I have to show one to vote--the same one I have to show to buy a firearm. Were I not a resident of my town, I would not have to show ID to vote.

I'm guessing the people of whom you speak do not actually regard the RKBA as a right.

IIRC the ammo law was Newsom's and he used it to win the governors mansion. I purchased heavy before it took effect so I haven't had to go through it. If you don't have Real ID you have to bring in the same documents as Real ID so it's just easier to get it, but DMV offices are closed now. By the way, the Real ID deadline is now October 1, 2021.

SG, if you were closer to a state border I'd suggest a trip.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

AZ also decided to push back its requirement for Real ID a year due to the pandemic. But if course AZ doesn’t require ID of any sorts to buy ammo.

Yeah, that’s really F’ed up Senor. If that BS happened to me after I returned to the store with alternative ID’s to try to be a law abiding sportsman I don’t know that I wouldn’t explode due to the stress.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Actually, you didn't get infringed. The Calif laws changed as you moved, and, as we know, firearm@physical address w/ Real ID rules for ammo--or Fed Limits w/birth cert.

Now that you know to get the Real ID, the rest of the times will be a breeze. Even then, with the birth cert, you can score ammo.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yes. You need either your vehicle reg, or a utility bill with your name on it--must be @firearm address.

It totally does seem excessive. But once it's done, it's smoooth sailing. Abide in the fruit, not in the flower.

CDFingers

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 pm Yes -- my car is registered to my old address. My license is my old address. And I don't have any third government document that's not at my wrong address. Alabama will probably implement this as the new ID requirements for voters...
Utility bill @firearm address should work if it's in your name. State Hunting license @firearm address.

I feel your pain. I've seen it a whole lot with the Camp Fire survivors.

CDFingers

senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 pm Yes -- my car is registered to my old address. My license is my old address. And I don't have any third government document that's not at my wrong address. Alabama will probably implement this as the new ID requirements for voters...
If you used Alabama voting logic, you'd be able to buy ammo once per year on one day (between 7AM and 7PM that day) in one place per county (if you're lucky).

I am ammo-restricted here, too. (My credit card limit!) And it can take DAYS for it to arrive via UPS. The horror! I feel your pain.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt