Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

Sort of a double standard or contradiction or something: "...retribution we’ve seen by Democrats in the legislature who are angry about the pushback from local law enforcement."

The concept of "law" enforcement is supposed to mean enforcing the "laws" and not whatever any Sheriff wants to enforce or ignore on a whim. If you don't like the job, then get another job.

I thought that was how the rest of us are supposed to "deal" with things we have to do at work.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm Sort of a double standard or contradiction or something: "...retribution we’ve seen by Democrats in the legislature who are angry about the pushback from local law enforcement."

The concept of "law" enforcement is supposed to mean enforcing the "laws" and not whatever any Sheriff wants to enforce or ignore on a whim. If you don't like the job, then get another job.

I thought that was how the rest of us are supposed to "deal" with things we have to do at work.
Does that work for you in immigration on sanctuary cities? There is also that pesky swearing to uphold the Constitution they do.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:22 pm It looks as if HB421 has passed both houses. Northam will sign it. Virginia will become a patchwork.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+HB421

Firearm owners can expect this kind of thing:
Alameda considering requiring mandatory training for firearm owners
At least the amended version narrows the scope down from the house's original bill. It fortunately still prohibits locality-wide bans but allows for localities to adopt rules that apply to government buildings, parks, rec centers, and streets/sidewalks only when a permitted event is taking place. Also requires signage so no trapping people who don't know the local rules.

WaPo Editorial Board:
Virginia’s Second Amendment ‘sanctuaries’ can’t ignore new gun control laws
IT WAS a showy gesture of defiance when local elected officials and sheriffs across Virginia and elsewhere declared themselves Second Amendment “sanctuaries” last year, suggesting or stating outright they would refuse to enforce new state gun-control laws. Those laws include, prominently, so-called red-flag bills under which police, relatives or others can seek a court order for law enforcement to confiscate a firearm from individuals deemed a threat to themselves or others.

It would be far more alarming if a local sheriff actually makes good on the threat — by refusing, for instance, to seize a weapon from a self-destructive son or daughter whose parents have convinced a judge that suicide may be imminent if law enforcement does not intervene. In that case, it would be not only irresponsible but also illegal, and quite likely would expose sheriffs personally, as well as the localities they represent, to liability in the event of an act of violence.

That’s not a far-fetched scenario. Of roughly 1,000 Virginians who die annually in gun violence, nearly two-thirds of them commit suicide.

Opinion on HB1175 not being passed.
EDITORIAL: A common sense gun bill that didn’t pass
IN THEIR haste to enact far-reaching gun control legislation, the new Democratic majority in the General Assembly inexplicably failed to advance a bill this session that would have increased jail time for people who use a firearm during the commission of a felony.

The bill (HB 1175), which was patroned by Del. Charles Poindexter, R-Franklin, would have increased the mandatory minimum sentence for a first offense of using or displaying a firearm while committing certain felonies from three to five years. It would also have doubled the punishment for subsequent offenses from five to 10 years.

“This gives our prosecutors and our police an excellent tool to use to address those people that really use guns in an illegal fashion,” Poindexter said in support of his bill. “It focuses on gun violence itself.”

BKinzey wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:31 am
K9s wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm Sort of a double standard or contradiction or something: "...retribution we’ve seen by Democrats in the legislature who are angry about the pushback from local law enforcement."

Does that work for you in immigration on sanctuary cities? There is also that pesky swearing to uphold the Constitution they do.
Of course! I live in a state where "sanctuary cities" are "illegal" by state law. However, local law enforcement doesn't have to hold people for ICE unless the law says they do. There is no federal law that makes them do that.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

https://mailchi.mp/2697bb9e2c71/va-aler ... tem-435961

Democrats' bills that have been passed and await Northam's signature:
HB 9 - lost/stolen firearms must be reported in 48 hours - time to report increased from 24 to 48 hours.
SB 14 - bans possession of bump stocks. Binary triggers, trigger cranks, etc. are not affected.
SB 35 - allows locates to create their own gun laws. Restricted as to where localities can control guns: government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, permitted events and surrounding roads.
SB 173 - allows CHP holders to have a stun-weapon in their vehicle while on K-12 school grounds.
SB 240 - Red Flag law - additional protections for search warrants and wrongful accusations were added.
HB 264 - Eliminates online training and possibly NRA instructors - language eliminating training from NRA instructors was removed from final bill. Bill now only eliminates online training to get a CHP.
HB 421 - allows locates to create their own gun laws. Restricted as to where localities can control guns: government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, permitted events and surrounding roads.
HB 1004 - protective orders take away gun rights while in effect.
HB 1080 - only those authorized by state law can carry on K-12 grounds. Conservators of the Peace cannot carry on school grounds under this bill.
HB 1083 - class 1 misdemeanor for younger than 14-years-old getting access to a loaded firearm in a reckless manner. Only change to current law is raising the penalty from a Class 3 misdemeanor to a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Republicans' bill that has been passed and awaits Northam's signature:
SB 268 - No sales tax on gun safes less than $1,500.

"HB 9 - lost/stolen firearms must be reported in 48 hours - time to report increased from 24 to 48 hours."

If someone steals one from a safe or warehouse of a FFL or C&R, they might not know soon enough. Or, grandpa might not notice his 22 rifle is missing from the bedroom closet right away. Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

CDFingers wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:23 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 pm when i thought my handguns were stolen it took me 4 days to sort out who to report it to and get there with the serial #s.
That reminds me that I should get that stuff together in a separate place. Lazy toad that I am.

CDFingers
When I was robbed years ago, they took almost everything - including the lockbox with the receipts/serial numbers, etc. Now I take pics of everything when I get it so I can store serial numbers with other important docs in a 21st century manner.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

And here is some of that impact:
Northam signs five gun control measures, seeks to amend two others
The gun bills Northam signed were measures expanding background checks; mandating the reporting of lost and stolen guns; a measure meant to prevent children from accessing guns; reinstating Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month policy; and a “red flag” bill that would allow the temporary removal of guns from a person deemed “a substantial risk” to himself or others.

He proposed technical amendments to bills allowing local control of gun regulations in public buildings, parks and during events; and barring people subject to protective orders from having a gun.
AWB bill will be back.
Northam vowed Friday to propose an assault weapons ban again next year.
Virginia governor signs gun-control bills into law
It should come as no surprise firearm prohibitionists have big plans for state-level bans.
RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has signed several new gun restrictions he championed during this year's legislative session, cementing gains by gun control advocates they hope will serve as a “blueprint” for states around the country.
Gun-control advocates said Friday they’re planning to replicate their success in Virginia in other states. John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, said his group plans to spend heavily in key battleground states this year like Arizona, North Carolina and Pennsylvania to elect lawmakers who support new gun restrictions.

Feinblatt said polling shows a gun-control agenda is popular in those states and that Virginia is a “bellwether" of what's to come.

i wonder how many of your standard "liberals" (as opposed to people like us who like guns) really care about evil guns. is it really all that important, or are they just head-nodding because some loudmouth do-gooder sez "gunsrbad,k?" i'd very much like to see further gun control removed from the dem platform, with a firm and clear statement to that effect. i suspect that the progressive agenda less expanding gun control could be a real winner. are there any polls on this?
a couple of months ago i happened to be at some sort of D party meeting and gave out LGC stickers, until some lady shrank back in horror. in retrospect i was woefully unprepared for the whole thing. probably should have just moved on to the next attendee. maybe i should have printed up fliers talking about root causes?
Last edited by lurker on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

DispositionMatrix wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:26 am AWB bill will be back.
Gun-control advocates said Friday they’re planning to replicate their success in Virginia in other states. John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, said his group plans to spend heavily in key battleground states this year like Arizona, North Carolina and Pennsylvania to elect lawmakers who support new gun restrictions.

Feinblatt said polling shows a gun-control agenda is popular in those states and that Virginia is a “bellwether" of what's to come.
The anti-gunners see this as their big opportunity to expand gun control, but politicians are looking at reelection and they have much bigger priorities on the state and national level with public health and the economy. Democrats who obsess on it could be vulnerable in November.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:37 am i wonder how many of your standard "liberals" (as opposed to people like us who like guns) really care about evil guns. is it really all that important, or are they just head-nodding because some loudmouth do-gooder sez "gunsrbad,k?" i'd very much like to see further gun control removed from the dem platform, with a firm and clear statement to that effect. i suspect that the progressive agenda less expanding gun control could be a real winner. are there any polls on this?
a couple of months ago i happened to be at some sort of D party meeting and gave out LGC stickers, until some lady shrank back in horror. in retrospect i was woefully unprepared for the whole thing. probably should have just moved on to the next attendee. maybe i should have printed up fliers talking about root causes?
There can be little doubt the DNC focus-grouped firearm prohibition prior to updating its plank in the national Democratic Party's platform. It's part of the party's identity.
Preventing Gun Violence
With 33,000 Americans dying every year, Democrats believe that we must finally take sensible action to address gun violence. While responsible gun ownership is part of the fabric of many communities, too many families in America have suffered from gun violence. We can respect the rights of responsible gun owners while keeping our communities safe. To build on the success of the lifesaving Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, we will expand and strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes in our current laws; repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) to revoke the dangerous legal immunity protections gun makers and sellers now enjoy; and keep weapons of war—such as assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines (LCAM’s)—off our streets. We will fight back against attempts to make it harder for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to revoke federal licenses from law breaking gun dealers, and ensure guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists, intimate partner abusers, other violent criminals, and those with severe mental health issues. There is insufficient research on effective gun prevention policies, which is why the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must have the resources it needs to study gun violence as a public health issue.

While I do see problems with those bills, they are not the most terrible. A whole lot of states are far more strict.

"...expanding background checks; mandating the reporting of lost and stolen guns; a measure meant to prevent children from accessing guns; reinstating Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month policy; and a “red flag” bill...."

It looks to me like the voters voted for anti-gun Dems and the worst fears of gun owners were not realized. No one is coming to take your guns.

And, Red Flag laws are in almost every state already. That isn't a "comin' to take yer guns!" confiscation law for most people. The devil is in the details, so it will be interesting to see how the courts deal with it. DJT himself doesn't care for Due Process before taking guns, so you can't blame it all on Democrats.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

It's not just COVID-19.
Va. gun sales soar to new monthly record in March, topping 80,000 amid COVID-19 fears
The Virginia Firearms Transaction Center recorded 80,228 transactions in March — a 75% jump over March 2019 and the highest total for any month on record since state police began tracking the data in 1990, according to mandatory criminal background checks on Virginia gun buyers.

The March number surpasses the previous Virginia record of 75,120 transactions in December 2012, which experts said was fueled by fears of increased gun restrictions after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut.

The March record also adds to what has become Virginia’s longest sustained spike in monthly gun sales ever. It began with December’s 73,849 transactions and continued in January and February with 65,839 and 64,070 transactions, respectively.

Pew Trusts:
Amid Pandemic, Gun Control Advocates Celebrate Wins on NRA’s Home Turf
Big Democratic Tent
On the first day of Virginia’s new legislative session, a flotilla of red shirts descended on Richmond. Hundreds of volunteers for Moms Demand Action, a gun control group heavily funded by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a Democrat, met with state legislative staff to push a series of bills that would put stricter limits on gun ownership.

Everytown for Gun Safety, the umbrella group to Moms Demand Action, spent more than $2.5 million on the November election that swept Democrats into the majority in the Virginia legislature. They spent more than seven times as much as the NRA.

After knocking on 25,000 doors and making 100,000 calls before the election, members were ready to talk to lawmakers and fellow activists among their new “gun sense majority.”

Impact of HB421:
City Council Moves Forward With Sweeping Firearm Prohibitions
At a City Council meeting on Tuesday, the Council unanimously approved moving forward with a sweeping ban on firearms on or near city property — including parks — or on streets near permitted events.

According to the city ordinance:
The poession, carrying or transportation of firearms in any building, or part thereof, owned or used by the City or by any authority or local government entite created or controlled by the City for government purposes or in parks owned or operated by the City, or by any authority or local government entity created or controlled by the City in any recreational or community center facility operated by the locality, or by any authority or local government entity created or controlled by the City and in any public street, road, alley, or sidewalk or public right-of-way or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public and is being used by or is adjacent to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit, is prohibited.
Gun Activists Plan Protest Against New City Ordinance Tomorrow in Old Town
“The City of Alexandria is moving forward with public comment and a vote on a proposed ordinance to ban guns completely in government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, and at permitted events and adjoining streets,” the VCDL said. “City Council had a chance to drop the proposed ordinance on Tuesday night, but did not. They made a minor amendment that did nothing significant for gun owners and voted to move forward with the public comment period and final vote on Saturday, June 20.”

The ordinance would make it a misdemeanor to carry a gun in government buildings or property, like parks, and at or near permitted events.
“We are there to protest one thing and one thing only: City Council’s proposed ordinance to strip us of our right to self-defense,” the VCDL said. “Do NOT be goaded by any bystanders into addressing any ANY other issues. Stay on point. I have notified the police department that we will be there to peacefully protest.”
Yesterday.

HB961, the ban for which Democrats had hoped in Virginia is merely shelved and will be back for consideration.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... &val=hb961
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms, certain firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport silencers, and trigger activators, all defined in the bill. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, or transport a large-capacity firearm magazine, as defined in the bill, and a Class 1 misdemeanor to possess such large-capacity firearm magazine. Any person who legally owns a large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator on July 1, 2020, may retain possession until January 1, 2021. During that time, such person shall (i) render the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator inoperable; (ii) remove the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency.
The VCDL is planning a rally for January that, I assume, has no chance of having any impact.

Gun sales in Virginia are through the roof, first driven by politics, then the pandemic and now the protests
But he’s never seen them skyrocket like they have in recent months.

“It’s incredible,” Marcus said. “There are a lot of extraneous things going on now that have caused guns to become very desirable.”

During the first five months of this year, FBI statistics show the number of criminal background check requests submitted for gun sales in Virginia is up 77% compared to the same time period last year. And that doesn’t even include the past couple of weeks, which Marcus and others said have been especially busy.