Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

Yeah, we all know the guns don't make people violent. So what does? When these anti gunners manage to confiscate and eliminate and violate everyone's Constitutional Rights and there is still (even *more*!) violence then what? Will we actually stop emoting and screeching and try and figure out *why* people are losing it and murdering/mass murdering their coworkers and classmates and neighbors? Can't look for and discuss a root cause before we violate peoples Constitutional Rights?

I'm of the opinion that we have this kind of violence because there is no peace, no justice, no stability - people can get sick and lose everything because we don't have a way to pay for health care. They have little power over their personal lives and we are surrounded by people pushing and shoving and lying and controlling so they can get more money and more power so they can lie and cheat and shove and control even more....

We are so unbalanced as humans and all this stress from lying/controlling politicians and corporate cheaters is a constant threat...the spin is now deadly. People need to balance their mental, physical, and spiritual aspects so that when they get spun up by stress and anxiety they are balanced and in tune with the power and speed....what happens when you take a 3 bladed fan and knock 1/4" off one of the blades? It wobbles and vibrates because it's unbalanced. And then it gets spun up to 5000 RPM and what happens?

It fucking fails and throws shrapnel all over and people get hurt.

So instead of preaching balance and a means to attain it, instead of fixing the stress and anxiety level, we wanna ban the elements that cause the damage when the structure fails under stress? We need to fix our Society and balance our people with equality and peace and a safety net....we have the fucking resources to feed, house, clothe, educate and medicate everyone that needs it but not if .01% get 10KX more power and money than the remaining 99.99%! When are we gonna get a real discussion about the sickness and violence instead of blaming it on an animate objects and tools?

Sorry for the rant. Lost my Peace for a minute but I'm OK again now.

I'm OK.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:59 pm Yeah, we all know the guns don't make people violent. So what does? When these anti gunners manage to confiscate and eliminate and violate everyone's Constitutional Rights and there is still (even *more*!) violence then what? Will we actually stop emoting and screeching and try and figure out *why* people are losing it and murdering/mass murdering their coworkers and classmates and neighbors?
I'm going with no.
featureless wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 pm It's been introduced: SB 16 Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... 1+sum+SB16
Don't need no stinkin grandfather clause. Good luck, Virginians, and welcome to California east.
Teed up and ready for reconciliation with House Bill 4021 or whatever replaces it and the ensuing ramming through. Sponsor is Senator Richard L. Saslaw (D) - Senate District 35. Summary:
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor to import, sell, barter, or transfer any firearm magazine designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
Full text:
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... 1+ful+SB16

featureless wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm I wonder why mere possession of an inanimate object rises to the level of felony. A felony is defined as: a crime, typically one involving violence, regarded as more serious than a misdemeanor, and usually punishable by imprisonment for more than one year or by death. Does owning an "assault weapon" equate to a thought crime of murder? If not, how is such a felony?
Firearm owners lost that battle when the NFA of 1934 was passed.
https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/f ... uncard.pdf
VI. KNOWINGLY POSSESS OR MANUFACTURE:
18 USC § 922(k), (o) & (v); 26 USC § 5861. Punishable by up to 5 or 10 years
imprisonment, depending upon specific violation.
A. Any machine gun, fully automatic firearm or any part designed or intended exclusively for
use in such weapon;

Code: Select all

HB 2 Firearm transfers; criminal history record information checks; penalty.
HB 9 Reporting lost or stolen firearms; civil penalty.
SB 12 Firearm transfers; criminal history record information checks; penalty.
SB 13 Possessing or transporting a weapon within Capitol Square; penalty.
SB 14 Trigger activators; prohibition; penalty.
SB 15 Carrying weapon into building owned or leased by the Commonwealth; penalty.
SB 16 Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms and certain firearm magazines; penalties.
SB 18 Firearms; criminal history record information checks; age requirement; penalty.
SB 22 Purchase of handguns; limitation on handgun purchases; penalty.
SB 35 Control of firearms by localities; permitted events.
SB 51 Carrying a concealed handgun; consumption of alcohol in a public park; penalty.

featureless wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:52 pm Yes, but these aren't machine guns or fully automatic guns. They are semi automatic guns in common use by law abiding citizens. Not arguing with you, just busy being baffled... Again.
The relevance is in 1934 government decided ownership of a thing after a certain date without special permission was a felony. In Virginia, state government is likely to ban ownership of a thing next year, with that special permission being reserved for special classes.

Also, the difference between "automatic" and "semi-automatic" is meaningless to those who simply want to ban firearms. After semi-autos are banned, they'll be going after bolt-actions or lever-actions.

Virginia Dem introduces gun control bill again, but now with the majority in both chambers
Currently, state law permits a person to purchase a gun without getting a background check if the transaction occurs through a private sale at a gun show or through any other unlicensed dealer. House Bill 2 would extend background check requirements to all private transfers of these weapons with the exception of transfers between family members.
Plum said that the Democratic victory shows that “the public wants common sense bills” on issues, including gun violence. He said that nearly 90 percent of Virginians support universal background checks.
The legislation will be brought into consideration in January after the new members of the state legislature are sworn in. Newly appointed Democratic leaders in both chambers have said they plan to change Virginia’s gun laws; Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam has already backed expanded background checks and other gun control bills.

K9s wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:01 pm "Background check requirements to all private transfers of these weapons with the exception of transfers between family members" doesn't sound like "loss for firearm ownership" to me yet.
No, and I support background checks on private transfers. The problem is with the assault weapon ban and magazine limits. Just like California, it doesn't kill ownership this generation but assault weapons become non transferable, so the next generation is fucked.

As of yesterday, 9 Virginia counties have voted to become 2nd Amendment sanctuaries. More counties are scheduling hearings and voting.
Incidentally, the area west of Dulles Airport that @Max129 referred to is Loudoun County VA which is the highest income county in the US. In point of fact, 3 of the top 6 richest counties in the US are in VA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... ted_States
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Increasing number of Virginia counties declare themselves 'Second Amendment sanctuaries'
On Thursday night, the Giles County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to become a 'Second Amendment sanctuary,' with over 100 people in attendance at their meeting.

Nearly simultaneously, Dinwiddie County, in a completely different part of Virginia, did the same thing on a unanimous vote as well, with one board member abstaining.
State Senator John Edwards, who is on the committee to which the Senate's pre-filed semi-automatic carbine ban bill, SB16, has been referred:
"I think people are being paranoid and it's totally unnecessary," Edwards told WDBJ7.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

I would love some clarification on what I'm seeing here and what is in store if this is passed as is (which seems possible if not likely).

There is no grandfather clause so continuing to possess a described "assault firearm" even if it was legally purchased before the ban would be a felony. Is that correct?

Will inserting a fixed 10 round magazine make a firearm "legal" again without other modifications?

And while magazines larger than 10 rounds can't be bought or sold, I don't see anything that restricts possessing them. But, if you possess the firearm and a >10 round magazine at the same time, does that constitute possessing "parts that may be readily assembled"?

blackcarbine wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am I would love some clarification on what I'm seeing here and what is in store if this is passed as is (which seems possible if not likely).
:welcome: to the forum, new guy.
so many new guys, barging right into the controversial topics, no intro thread. :evil: what's your stake here? shoot an AR? live in VA? speak fluent russian? paranoid? ME? :coffee:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

blackcarbine wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:32 pm Lol, sorry. Live in VA in a county that I doubt will declare itself a sanctuary. Will be interesting to see how this all goes down here and have a feeling it will be seen as a litmus test for the rest of the country....

I am interested in my rights for owning an AR and in what modified form that firearm would have to be.

My Russian? not so good, but I do enjoy a vodka martini on occasion.
Just an AR? I would assume this won't happen for a while and the GOP will make it seem much worse and imminent than it really will be. I think they need to fight for ERA and Medicaid expansion to keep voters happy first.

On the other hand, I am sensitive to their fears. It would be like telling anti-2A people in El Paso that they are overreacting about guns. We all need to come together and discuss nuanced compromise instead of taking extreme anti- and pro- positions.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Much of the campaigning, at least in my area, was primarily focused on gun control. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is one of the first items on the agenda. But, all of these new seats have to consider their re-election in a state that is barely blue. It may get pared down from the current proposed bill. I’m just trying to understand what is in there so I can make my voice heard in the right way when I call my representatives to voice my opinion.

blackcarbine wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:08 pm Much of the campaigning, at least in my area, was primarily focused on gun control. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is one of the first items on the agenda. But, all of these new seats have to consider their re-election in a state that is barely blue. It may get pared down from the current proposed bill. I’m just trying to understand what is in there so I can make my voice heard in the right way when I call my representatives to voice my opinion.
Did you find this thread via search engine? Why not post an introduction in the new member area so we can all say "Welcome!".
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

This is from 11/26/19:
Virginia now has TWENTY Second Amendment Sanctuaries in 3 weeks! If you want to see the entire list, it is on the main page of the VCDL website: http://vcdl.org
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT