New Hampshire school district "bans guns in buildings"

Hampstead School District bans guns in buildings, at events

It's about feelings.
"No one incident was the inspiration behind this," said Superintendent Earl Metzler. "This is more of a systematic approach by a really supportive school board to make sure staff and students were safe."
"As a parent of small kids, I don't think civilians should just be carrying them just because they have the license to carry them in," said parent Angela Ciccone.

"I think people have to stop being selfish about what they're entitled to and think about the greater cause out there for people," said parent Heidi Clancy.
Section: 159:26 Firearms, Ammunition, and Knives; Authority of the State.
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms or knives businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives shall be null and void.

Re: New Hampshire school district "bans guns in buildings"

he new policy comes less than three months after Gov. Chris Sununu vetoed a bill that would have created gun-free school zones. Metzler said the district worked with an attorney to create the policy. "A lot of effort was put in to make sure that no one's rights were being infringed upon," he said.
The policy should quote the legal authority it's using to justify it, perhaps a section of the state education code on health and safety. It may have been written by an attorney but it can still be challenged in court. Any legal challenges to it?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan