Re: US Senate Democrats to introduce ‘‘Assault Weapons Ban of 2023"; would also ban std-cap magazines

highdesert wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am Feinstein introduced the original Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1993, this is a 30 year anniversary bill which is highly unlikely to pass the US Senate.
This just doesn’t do anything to get me to vote for a dem in the national elections. Stupid waste of time and a complete turnoff for this liberal lefty.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: US Senate Democrats to introduce ‘‘Assault Weapons Ban of 2023"; would also ban std-cap magazines

sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:11 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am Feinstein introduced the original Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1993, this is a 30 year anniversary bill which is highly unlikely to pass the US Senate.
This just doesn’t do anything to get me to vote for a dem in the national elections. Stupid waste of time and a complete turnoff for this liberal lefty.
I hear you.

And it'll go nowhere just like the BS that the GOPathetic will introduce in the House...
Won't vote for a Dem, hope you won't for a GOPathetic either...Hard to be a single issue voter these days but.....

BUT not voting helps the GOP more than the Dems.

'Demanding' somebody vote like they do..on a gun forum, as if that matters. Yup, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. BUT the BS flows both ways.
Last edited by F4FEver on Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

F4FEver wrote:
And it'll go nowhere just like the BS that the GOPathetic will introduce in the House...
Won't vote for a Dem, hope you won't for a GOPathetic either...Hard to be a single issue voter these days but.....

BUT not voting helps the GOP more than the Dems.
Depends where you live. I highly doubt as an Ohioan, with almost no statewide elected offices held by democrats, & the republicans wining them by 5-10 points, that my vote matters much at the state and national level. However, for the first time I have, Democrat congressman, and I think my vote in local elections matters a lot. I’m going to vote, but it’s likely a throw away at the state level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a reason some people are on my ignore list. Their comments are the same old BS. Vote your convictions and don’t demand others vote for your candidate. Want my vote for your candidate, then push for issues I want. If you’re not ready to do that, keep your demands to yourself. No one owns my vote except me. It’s tough, but each individual only gets one vote.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:17 pm There’s a reason some people are on my ignore list. Their comments are the same old BS. Vote your convictions and don’t demand others vote for your candidate. Want my vote for your candidate, then push for issues I want. If you’re not ready to do that, keep your demands to yourself. No one owns my vote except me. It’s tough, but each individual only gets one vote.
I agree. Biden is out again calling for an AWB after the CA shootings. He's leader of the Democratic Party, but doesn't have the guts to tell Democrats that these are very isolated situations and banning modern rifles isn't the solution. None of the recent CA cases; Goshen, Monterey Park or Half Moon Bay involved someone who had visible mental health issues that we know of. Goshen appears to be drug related, Monterey Park is still being investigated and Half Moon Bay was work related violence, further investigation may change these conclusions.

Slimy politicians want quick, easy, simple solutions to every problem so they can say they've done something about it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:44 am Mind you the LA police had to run to a local gun shop to get some "assault" rifles during the 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery shootout. What would they do now?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... mvWVONmtO4
The North Hollywood Shoot Out of 1997 changed at least LAPD and likely many other police forces in terms of armaments. The Columbine shooting should have changed all police forces in terms of response and engagement, but it didn't in the case of Uvalde.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:44 am Mind you the LA police had to run to a local gun shop to get some "assault" rifles during the 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery shootout. What would they do now?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... mvWVONmtO4
You really think any AWB would apply to LE? No, nor to the military either....What cops do? Continue to look like armed militias, complete with tree suits, tactical helmets, armed vehicles and a bad attitude.

For right above..CD gets it. LOTS or 'sky is fallig' stuff with guns(Yup, a gun forum) but precious little with congress attempts at removing or ignoring other rights..like trump and the press and the constitution in general, like deSatan and LGBTQ rights and freedom of the press rights, like POTUS and the GOPathetic and women's rights, like the idiots in the gang of 20 that have McCarthy wrapped around their little fingers....

Screw the rights of anybody that isn't white and male and hetero and small 'c' christian but keep yer hands off my AR!!

AWB federally...tell me how that happens? With a GOP house? It won't.
This bill is as dead as the Repub's bill to kill the IRS. Political theater. Is schumtz.
Yup

It won't pass the Senate nor the House and Feinstein will retire in 2 years. She's half-senile now at 89.
Another stupid, simple "answer" to a complex problem that simply does not work. I HATE fucking "Feel Good" legislation that has no basis in Science and Statistics that simply re-affirms that our "Rights" are merely privileges in the eyes of those in power, no matter which side of the aisle they are on.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:27 am It won't pass the Senate nor the House and Feinstein will retire in 2 years. She's half-senile now at 89.

Another stupid, simple "answer" to a complex problem that simply does not work. I HATE fucking "Feel Good" legislation that has no basis in Science and Statistics that simply re-affirms that our "Rights" are merely privileges in the eyes of those in power, no matter which side of the aisle they are on.
I agree YT, the antigun groups and politicians want to down grade our 2A rights to a privilege like driving a motor vehicle. Those used to be the opening lines of the CA motor vehicle handbook, "driving is a privilege". They want it to be a privilege so they can restrict or withdraw it at any time.

highdesert wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:27 am It won't pass the Senate nor the House and Feinstein will retire in 2 years. She's half-senile now at 89.

I agree YT, the antigun groups and politicians want to down grade our 2A rights to a privilege like driving a motor vehicle. Those used to be the opening lines of the CA motor vehicle handbook, "driving is a privilege". They want it to be a privilege so they can restrict or withdraw it at any time.
"Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news, even badly, you know that the list gets shorter and shorter"--George Carlin.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:11 am
I couldn't agree more. Feinslime and her ilk are guarded by the full-up military-grade, machine gun versions of those very same firearms, yet she whines and complains about *Us, The People* having what her own bodyguards have. Just because I'm a Liberal doesn't mean Candidate X doesn't still have to earn my vote by supporting policies that I believe in if Candidate X wants my vote.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

The problem is that she's not alone. Virtually every other Democrat in Congress would vote for this horrible bill, including Schitt.

I'm actually a little surprised that they didn't try it when they had both chambers of Congress.

CowboyT wrote:The problem is that she's not alone. Virtually every other Democrat in Congress would vote for this horrible bill, including Schitt.

I'm actually a little surprised that they didn't try it when they had both chambers of Congress.
My theory?

They also didn’t codify roe. So “gun control” and “abortion” are wedge issues that get the “Democrat base” angry so they get out the pvote & then never actually do anything at the federal level besides introduce “AWB” type bills that won’t pass.

It’s the states where all the actual laws agave been changed & the activist right wing SCOTUS. Congress had almost no incentive to do anything, which is generally good for us on this issue.

CowboyT wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:33 pm The problem is that she's not alone. Virtually every other Democrat in Congress would vote for this horrible bill, including Schitt.

Because it wouldn't pass then, like it won't pass now. There will be GOP that don't vote for it in purple districts that worry about the next election.

Yup Nancy Pelosi didn't have a majority of members from bright blue districts, just like Kevin McCarthy doesn't have a majority of members from bright red districts, it's DOA in the House. Even without the filibuster Schumer couldn't get all 51 Democratic senators to vote for it, this isn't the 1990s when it passed with some bipartisan support.

Schumer only needed 50, because VP Harris would be the tiebreaker in the Senate. So, he could've afforded to lose, say, Manchin.

"But, the filibuster!" The Dems could've invoked the Nuclear Option. As I recall, there are those on this very board that advocated the use of that option once the Dems got both Congressional chambers and the White House. I'm obviously glad they didn't, but they could have. So, the question then becomes, why didn't they do just this, since they could have?

Re: US Senate Democrats to introduce ‘‘Assault Weapons Ban of 2023

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:18 am
CowboyT wrote:The problem is that she's not alone. Virtually every other Democrat in Congress would vote for this horrible bill, including Schitt.

My theory?

They also didn’t codify roe. So “gun control” and “abortion” are wedge issues that get the “Democrat base” angry so they get out the vote & then never actually do anything at the federal level besides introduce “AWB” type bills that won’t pass.

It’s the states where all the actual laws agave been changed & the activist right wing SCOTUS. Congress had almost no incentive to do anything, which is generally good for us on this issue.

Exactly right Invictus, they think we're Pavlov's dogs and that stimulus/response will always work on us. And come 2024 Dems will drag out abortion and AWB again, saying to their base and leaners that it's the most important election in the history of our nation - as they say every election. Republicans will use the same tactics on their base and leaners.

We're not Pavlov's dogs !