Re: Constitutional Carry in Texas

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:43 am In Texas the Constitutional Carry law doesn't separate conceal and open carry rights. You don't need a CHL to conceal carry. The main benefits a CHL card gives you is when you go to buy a gun all you have to do is present he card fill out the Form and give them money. No waiting on background checks etc. and also gives you some reciprocity with other states allowing you to carry in those states. The side benefit is an education in the laws governing where you are prohibited from carrying a gun. also what to do when interacting with law enforcement and situational scenarios.

I also know the knuckle draggers, in Texas, aren't going to pay any attention to the laws or any other part of the CHL classes, so they would be a waste of time and money for them to attend.
Yep. These are the reasons I intend to keep mine. Agree on the wasted types, also applies to those intent on illegal activities. Laws would make no difference.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Yeah, that. All that.

We've got a bill moving this direction up in the Buckeye state. Open carry is already allowed within reason. CHL is shall-issue, but it does require fingerprinting, background check, a - much more reasonable - fee, and mandatory 8 hours certified training with minimum 2 hours range time. I don't CC for reasons, but I got the license for reasons. Not committing a felony by covering a holstered weapon in the rain, for example. I enjoyed my training and gained experience with a range of handguns I'd never shot before. Recommend 10/10.

I still sympathize with all of the sentiments posted here. Resenting the regulation of concealed carry. Wanting everyone to have basic training. Wanting it to be affordable and accessible to all. Wanting some reassurance that my LGS isn't selling arms to convicted felons. There's reasons the debates are so heated in the best of times.

I miss the best of times.

Wino wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:44 pm
Skeptilius wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:36 pm If you are carrying in an OWB covered by an untucked shirt then it's not open carry if the gun is not visible to the public. Open carry means the gun is clearly visible for all to see. Sorry about getting technical here.
An unbuttoned and untucked shirt wherein the gun in OWB or IWB could be exposed for whatever reason (accidental exposure in prior Texas law) flashing or intimidating under old law. Today this could lead to being asked to leave the premises in locations with no open carry allowed, i.e. HEB grocery stores and/or other venues. In short, it would be concealed much of the time, but not all the time.
I figured someone would call me on that statement I made. Thanks for the clarification.

I oppose permitless carry, open or concealed, because I want aanyone carrying to at least have had a review of the laws around carrying. I'd also like to see training include information on when use of force is permitted, which I felt was lacking from the concealed carry class I took a few years ago.

But I am not really worried too much about this new law since I think anyone who wanted to carry was probably already doing so, either with a permit or illegally.
93+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:16 pm I oppose permitless carry, open or concealed, because I want aanyone carrying to at least have had a review of the laws around carrying. I'd also like to see training include information on when use of force is permitted, which I felt was lacking from the concealed carry class I took a few years ago.

But I am not really worried too much about this new law since I think anyone who wanted to carry was probably already doing so, either with a permit or illegally.
You must have had a bad instructor. It was covered in my class. I suspect the problem is the instructors are not all equal and they are not reviewed enough for adherence to a uniform standard.

You’re probably right on who was carrying.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Chapter 9.32 of the Texas penal code covers the use of force including deadly force. I read that chapter over at least once a month. The better you know the law the easier it will be to stay out of trouble. I said this before, but it's worth repeating - the USCCA likes to point out that carrying a gun can save your life - it can also send you to prison for life.

sikacz wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:22 pm
Eris wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:16 pm I oppose permitless carry, open or concealed, because I want aanyone carrying to at least have had a review of the laws around carrying. I'd also like to see training include information on when use of force is permitted, which I felt was lacking from the concealed carry class I took a few years ago.

You must have had a bad instructor. It was covered in my class. I suspect the problem is the instructors are not all equal and they are not reviewed enough for adherence to a uniform standard.

You’re probably right on who was carrying.
I'll say it again..my CCWP class was a HUGE waste of time. $90 that
-review of the midterms complete with blue and red map(NO firearm reference)
-pitch to join NRA('instructor was a 'NRA instructor')
-45 minutes by some guy with a poorly fitting suit selling 'carry insurance'

Then a trip thru this little binder, giving answers to the quiz questions, no discussion. 30 people, $2700...NO range time(HA, that's funny)...poor and in 5 years, request another one...another $48(initial one was $152)..and get one n the mail...

Vermont has had Constitutional Carry ever since its inception. That's why it's still often called "Vermont Carry".

I, for one, am glad that Texas has gone the pro-freedom route, for the same reasons that I'm glad that Vermont never got rid of the freedom route. Frankly, I'd like to see it easier for all people, especially Black people given the way they especially get treated in this country, able to exercise that Constitutional right more easily. I've always viewed permitting schemes as "poll taxes" or "literacy tests", and we're not supposed to be doing that to Constitutional rights.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/ (reloading instruction)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
---------------------------------------
A true Liberal must back the Second Amendment 100%!

CowboyT wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:54 am Vermont has had Constitutional Carry ever since its inception. That's why it's still often called "Vermont Carry".

I, for one, am glad that Texas has gone the pro-freedom route, for the same reasons that I'm glad that Vermont never got rid of the freedom route. Frankly, I'd like to see it easier for all people, especially Black people given the way they especially get treated in this country, able to exercise that Constitutional right more easily. I've always viewed permitting schemes as "poll taxes" or "literacy tests", and we're not supposed to be doing that to Constitutional rights.
Access to self defense for all people is really the best thing about constitutional carry. Any licensing scheme will always punish the people with the least means. For this reason alone I will not get bent out of shape over this change in Texas carry law.

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:12 am The 4473 form is a literacy test for some people.
All the ATF really needs is your name and address. They have all that other info.
Am I white? Lol
Also a poll tax.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/ (reloading instruction)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
---------------------------------------
A true Liberal must back the Second Amendment 100%!