Oklahoma House passes constitutional carry bill

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

Oklahoma House passes constitutional carry bill

#1 Post by DispositionMatrix » Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 am

Repubs and one Democrat sponsored the bill. It is now in the Senate.
https://legiscan.com/OK/bill/SB1212/2018

http://www.newson6.com/story/38058980/b ... y-gun-bill
"Why should we go back to the Wild West here in Oklahoma when we can have responsible gun laws that can protect everybody's rights and don't increase the danger," Waldron said.

If this bill is signed into law, it will allow anyone over the age of 21 without a felony conviction to carry a handgun without a permit.
"I do support the second amendment of course but we should have responsible gun laws and I think this one verges a little bit," he said.

Eris

Re: Oklahoma House passes constitutional carry bill

#2 Post by Eris » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

This is an issue where I disagree with the "gun rights" side. I'd rather have carriers be subject to some sort of minimum competency testing both in practical shooting and in knowledge of the law. I don't think that's an unreasonable burden.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by sikacz » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

Eris wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am
This is an issue where I disagree with the "gun rights" side. I'd rather have carriers be subject to some sort of minimum competency testing both in practical shooting and in knowledge of the law. I don't think that's an unreasonable burden.
I'm pretty happy with the Texas system. Do not require a license when it's in or on your own property, but require a license when stepping off or out of ones car.
That said I suspect much of the push for this type of legislation is due to the pressure from the restrictionist and ban movements. States that can are appearing to increase the application of the second to it's most liberal state, constitutional carry. I follow with interest, but I'm not extremely concerned. I understand that a few states have had constitutional carry and people seem not to have started gun fights in the streets. It would be interesting to know how many in those states that have it, carry.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by DispositionMatrix » Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

13 states have some variation of so-called constitutional carry. It has not been proven to be the cause of blood running in the streets. In my state, the violent crime centers have remained what they were prior to constitutional carry.

I maintain my P&R license in case, as firearm prohibitionists succeed in imposing limitations on others, it affords me some type of grandfathering in the interim before they make legal carry impossible for the unwashed.

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by DispositionMatrix » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 am

Oklahoma Democratic State Representative Jason Lowe is now trying to repeal the state's constitutional carry law with HB3357. He has another bill, HB3897, to ban long guns in restaurants.
State Rep. Lowe files bill to repeal permitless carry
OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — State Representative Jason Lowe says that he has filed two pieces of legislation aimed at making public spaces safer for Oklahomans.

In a press release, Lowe says that he has had hundreds of conversations with residents who don't want irresponsible gun owners to carry firearms in public spaces.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#6 Post by highdesert » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Eris wrote:
I agree with you and Sika, I've never been a constitutional carry fan, but each state get to decide unless the feds or SCOTUS intervenes.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by featureless » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:32 pm

highdesert wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Eris wrote:
I agree with you and Sika, I've never been a constitutional carry fan, but each state get to decide unless the feds or SCOTUS intervenes.
I have no problem with licensing carry, provided the financial bar is very low and the process is not subjective. Pass background check, pass training requirement, get license. No good cause bullshit.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#8 Post by highdesert » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:39 pm

featureless wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:32 pm
highdesert wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Eris wrote:
I have no problem with licensing carry, provided the financial bar is very low and the process is not subjective. Pass background check, pass training requirement, get license. No good cause bullshit.
Yes, the poor who live in areas with gangs, drugs and higher crime rates need it even more. Buying a firearm is already expensive so keep the licensing and training costs low.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan