North Carolina county votes in favor of Second Amendment sanctuary resolution

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

DispositionMatrix
Carpal Tunnel

North Carolina county votes in favor of Second Amendment sanctuary resolution

#1 Post by DispositionMatrix » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:22 am

I gather they are at least pretending to mean well.
Commissioners vote, declare Lincoln County a ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary’
The resolution states that “the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners hereby expresses its intent to uphold the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of Lincoln County and that public funds, resources, employees, buildings or offices not be used to restrict Second Amendment rights or to aid or assist in the enforcement of the unnecessary and unconstitutional restriction of the rights under the Second Amendment of the citizens of Lincoln County to keep and bear arms.”

“If the state or even the federal government comes down with additional regulations, it’s gonna say that Lincoln County is not gonna come forth with that and it’s gonna be hard to take guns in Lincoln County,” Mitchem said.

It does not change any regulations currently in place.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Re: North Carolina county votes in favor of Second Amendment sanctuary resolution

#2 Post by highdesert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 am

NC, south of VA and a battleground state in this years presidential election. A small county but in the Charlotte metro area. Perhaps lurker or some other Tarheels have more insight.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: North Carolina county votes in favor of Second Amendment sanctuary resolution

#3 Post by lurker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 am

first i've heard about it. i'm not especially politically or socially aware or connected. lincoln county is 2 counties over, to the south and west. charlotte/concord area.
Last edited by lurker on Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
creepy stalker dude :hmm: aka lurch.

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by TriggerPuller » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:20 pm

First I've heard of it as well, although I'm not surprised. This state is quite firearm conscious in a friendly and forward looking way.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:14 pm

I used to know where most of the counties were but I moved out of North Carolina 36 years ago....
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by lurker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:40 pm

i've seen mention of two more 2a sanctuaries in NC in the last couple of days, both on FB. my county, rowan, and alexander cty. the one here was a commercial entity selling t-shirts so not sure how sincere. not sure what to make of it. maybe trying to send a message to the legislature, or maybe trying to rouse the rabble for profit. or both

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by highdesert » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:19 am

lurker wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:40 pm
i've seen mention of two more 2a sanctuaries in NC in the last couple of days, both on FB. my county, rowan, and alexander cty. the one here was a commercial entity selling t-shirts so not sure how sincere. not sure what to make of it. maybe trying to send a message to the legislature, or maybe trying to rouse the rabble for profit. or both
Could be concern that the NC legislature might flip to the Democrats like VA to the north did. They want to be prepared which is probably not a bad idea. You have elections this year so it sends a message.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by lurker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 am

i'm doing my little part to dissociate gun control from "liberalism". i should try harder i suppose.

TriggerPuller
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by TriggerPuller » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm

As of yesterday (January 22, 2020):
At least eight North Carolina counties have passed resolutions supporting gun rights.
https://wtkr.com/2020/01/23/more-north- ... -measures/