Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

"... being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A place to discuss regulation, proposed or enacted.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

#301 Post by K9s » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am

AndyH wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:58 am
Happy Lobby Day, Freedom Protectors! :lol:

If a group is going to have a list of prohibited items, might as well have the all-encompassing catch-all finish.
https://www.wric.com/news/politics/capi ... lobby-day/
Below is the list of prohibited items:

firearms
knives, scissors, needles, razors, and other bladed weapons
slingshots
spring sticks or batons
metal knuckles
blackjacks
nunchucks, chains, or other flailing weapons
throwing stars, knives, darts, or other throwing weapons
stun guns, tasers
sticks, poles, bats, baseballs, softballs, glass bottles
shields, helmets
toy guns and toy weapons
drones/sUAS, laser pointers
Caustic substances (pepper spray), aerosol containers
Hazardous materials, fireworks, torches, and open flames
other dangerous items or items that may be used as weapons
Nothing like a bunch of people kept in a confined area with no way to defend themselves. But...drones and laser pointers?
There were threats of drone attacks on crowds and the capitol last week.
highdesert wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am
featureless wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 am
Media coverage stinks, as expected. Oddly, photos I've seen on the Twitter thing have some minorities at this "white supremacist" rally. I continue to hope for a peaceful day.
Yes ! The attendees look very ordinary, no one in militia gear, didn't see any outlandish signs. Saw one guy wearing a balaklava and carrying an AR. Nice to see LEOs supporting 2A. The guy on CDFs link said it's windy in Richmond and the wind chill factor brought the temperature down to 23 degrees - burr !!!
Quite a few in militia gear, but those will be sought out and broadcast by media no matter what.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#302 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am

AndyH wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am
Small crowd in the capitol kettle from Canadian drone.

va1.jpg
That was at 9:30 prior to the rally starting. Coverage of the square is very misleading due to most of it being fenced off/denied and the remainder being access controlled to meter in/disarm demonstrators. The streets that are not access controlled look like this:

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#303 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 am

AndyH
Banned

#304 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am

featureless wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:54 am
AndyH wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am
Small crowd in the capitol kettle from Canadian drone.

va1.jpg
That was at 9:30 prior to the rally starting. Coverage of the square is very misleading due to most of it being fenced off/denied and the remainder being access controlled to meter in/disarm demonstrators. The streets that are not access controlled look like this:

<snip>
The aerial shot I posted from the capitol grounds was real time. I agree there are plenty in the streets. The Canadian stream has at least one drone in the air.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#305 Post by Marlene » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Looks like the rwnj lie machine trying to rally enthusiasm for rahowa boogaloo probably diminished turnout in the end, but the day is still young.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#306 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:01 pm

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#307 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:02 pm

AndyH wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:58 am
The aerial shot I posted from the capitol grounds was real time. I agree there are plenty in the streets. The Canadian stream has at least one drone in the air.
Thanks for the clarification, Andy.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#308 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:22 pm

Permitted rally has ended. No reports of shots fired. Let's hope the crowd disperses as peacefully as it arrived and demonstrated.

AndyH
Banned

#309 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:46 pm

While pro-gun protesters are outside, some anti-gun protesters 'hacked' the system.
A group of about 15 college students and one high schooler came to Richmond on Sunday and slept overnight in the offices of two Democratic lawmakers to ensure they could make it into the Capitol area safely. Del. Dan Helmer, who’s sponsoring a bill that would block the National Rifle Association from operating an indoor gun range at its headquarters, and Del. Chris Hurst, a gun control advocate whose TV journalist girlfriend was killed in an on-air shooting in 2015, camped out alongside them.

Michael McCabe, a 17-year-old high school senior from northern Virginia, said he started lobbying at the General Assembly after the Sandy Hook mass shooting, when he was 11 years old.

In an interview in Helmer’s office, McCabe said the students wanted to be a voice for other gun-control advocates.

“Our main goal is not to engage with gun extremists today,” McCabe said. “We are really here to be present in the legislature to make our voices heard.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/6435300/virg ... -protests/
Yup...gotta stay safe from all those "gun extremists". :?

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#310 Post by Marlene » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 pm

I dunno where y'all are getting these images from, but since I follow lots of folks who keep eyes on WS douchebags, this is typical of what's regularly passing through my timeline.
https://twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status ... 37857?s=20

For context, wearing a mask is a felony in VA.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#311 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Oh, there's lots of that out there too, Marlene. I was selective. Images off Twitter, some from the ar forum (I don't participate there, but there is useful information in the garbage).

I didn't see a lot of masks, but lots of high scarfs/neck gators. 32* might merit it.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#312 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Here are some legitimate media photos.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-galler ... 522549002/

AndyH
Banned

#313 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Marlene wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 pm
I dunno where y'all are getting these images from, but since I follow lots of folks who keep eyes on WS douchebags, this is typical of what's regularly passing through my timeline.
https://twitter.com/andrewkimmel/status ... 37857?s=20

For context, wearing a mask is a felony in VA.
Not surprised it's getting passed through one's 'timeline'. We can't know how representative it is unless the guy has footage of the other people walking past.

It looks like One James River Plaza is in the area of the capitol.
https://tclf.org/landscapes/one-james-river-plaza
c3.jpg

AndyH
Banned

#314 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:18 pm

There's a sheriff speaking. Says they get to decide which laws to ignore.

No, it is not a good idea to tie 2A rights to an affiliation with any police force. Really, really bad juju.
Attachments
C4.jpg
Last edited by AndyH on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgiaRN
Chatty

#315 Post by GeorgiaRN » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm

The grossly slanted media coverage has just left me enraged. At this point speaking my mind on the forums will probably equate to a Ban, so I ll go cool off somewhere.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

AndyH
Banned

#316 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:20 pm

GeorgiaRN wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm
The grossly slanted media coverage has just left me enraged. At this point speaking my mind on the forums will probably equate to a Ban, so I ll go cool off somewhere.
It's not worth high blood pressure, for sure. You're among friends, though. The media's really broken.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#317 Post by K9s » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:00 pm

GeorgiaRN wrote:
It really wasn't mentioned much in media coverage today. I had it on while working from home. 90+% coverage of impeachment and elections. Mentioned a little, and nothing new. I didn't have Fox sound streaming, though. To them, this is all about enraging voters to flip VA back to GOP.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#318 Post by featureless » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm

Some more thoughts. I haven't seen a good estimate on attendance and there likely won't be one. I'd noted 120K earlier but I don't think that's valid, probably closer to a third of that. 10,000 were on the grounds within the fenced area. Probably 3-4 times that outside.

It is amazing and heartening that nothing bad happened. It shows that gun owners are indeed cautious and law abiding and willing to turn out in very cold weather to stand up to continuing erosion of 2A rights. I wish more minority groups were represented but guns and old white guys tend to go hand in hand, I guess. Fortunately, there were many women in the crowd and a good number of non whites. A focus on broadening the appeal would be beneficial.

I expect this rally will do exactly nothing to sway the current Dem efforts in VA. Hopefully, it will send a message to other Dems that gun control isn't a winning issue but other parts of the platform may be.

AndyH
Banned

#319 Post by AndyH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:42 pm

A lot of groups were told to stay away today as well.

A quick scan of the usual anti-gun activists (cough Watts cough) shows the anti-gun echo chamber used this day to call out the 'out of state' "gun extremists" that protested, while the Moms against Scary Things were making calls to VA voters to use the 'gun extremist' protesters as the 'bad guys that must be stopped with common-sense gun control'. :sick:

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#320 Post by highdesert » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I just got in but I've been listening to reports all day. One BBC reporter said everyone was armed - guess he never went into the enclosure and I strongly doubt everyone outside was carrying. BBC :x
Alex Jones traveled around Virginia's capital in what appeared to be a battle tank and addressed the public through a bullhorn ahead of a gun rights rally. Thousands of gun rights activists, as well as far-right groups like the Proud Boys, have descended on Richmond, Virginia, gathered for the rally early on Monday, HuffPost reported.

Radio host Jones also appeared to start his day well before the rally was due to begin. He was pictured in the city in a black vehicle bearing the logo for InfoWars, his right-wing conspiracy website.Video footage live-streamed on Twitter's Periscope platform on Monday morning showed Jones speaking through a bullhorn, criticizing the Democratic Party and chanting slogans including "America is back." "The Democratic Party are a bunch of degenerate, anti-American globalists who want to start a race war in this country and they're gonna be defeated," Jones says during the live-stream. "Americans are coming together like never before. America is alert. America is rising."

He added: "We are here in Virginia at the capital in defiance of the globalist tyranny and their attempts to trigger a civil war."
https://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-pro ... nk-1483074

Jones' "Battle Tank"
https://twitter.com/SarahKing__/status/ ... nk-1483074

Around 3:45 p.m., Capitol Police announced that one person had been arrested around 1:30 p.m. by a Richmond Police Officer.

Police said Mikaela E. Beschler, 21, of Richmond was charged with one felony count of wearing a mask in public. She was arrested after the officer saw her for a third time with a bandanna covering her face. He warned her two other times prior to adjust the bandana.

She was released on her own recognizance.
VA Capitol Police -
An estimated 22,000 people attended today’s rally – approximately 7,000 people on Capitol Square and 15,000 outside the gates.
The line at Sefton Coffee Co. on N 8th St is seemingly never-ending today. Workers tell me this might be the busiest day they’ve ever had, and there’s a chance they may close early because they’re using up much of today’s supplies.
https://www.nbc12.com/2020/01/20/thousa ... e-updates/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

GeorgiaRN
Chatty

#321 Post by GeorgiaRN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 am

self duped
Last edited by GeorgiaRN on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

GeorgiaRN
Chatty

#322 Post by GeorgiaRN » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 am

K9s wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:00 pm
GeorgiaRN wrote:
It really wasn't mentioned much in media coverage today. I had it on while working from home. 90+% coverage of impeachment and elections. Mentioned a little, and nothing new. I didn't have Fox sound streaming, though. To them, this is all about enraging voters to flip VA back to GOP.

The Spin from MSNBC and CNN was so ridiculous. According to the media people were protesting "background checks" and "limit handgun purchases." No mention of Redflag laws, AWB etc. Plus CNN and MSNBC just repeatedly used the words "White Nationalists" "militia" and "Charlottesville." None of these people were just regular people living out their daily lives? Everyone was an extremist, I guess.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuoYgFbFZU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Deoi7Z ... e=emb_logo[/youtube]
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#323 Post by featureless » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 am

Yup. It's propaganda, not reporting.

culannmac
Grizzled Veteran

#324 Post by culannmac » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:53 am

Has anyone heard anything else about the proposed AWB? Media's only mentioned the first three passed. The Comité de salut public is meeting this morning to discuss more gun control bills.

culannmac
Grizzled Veteran

#325 Post by culannmac » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:37 am

According to the WP
Democrats seem to be backing away from plans to ban assault weapons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... story.html

So it was a big crowd, but polls suggest that Virginians are strongly in favor of more gun laws.

https://wset.com/news/local/virginia-vo ... poll-shows

So I can't say I'm in favor, but at the same time I don't really care about MOAR background checks, and the one pistol (gun?) a month law. I don't really have the money for multiple gun purchases a month. Red Flag laws concern me. The ACLU doesn't like them.
For those who don't know, currently in Virginia when you buy/pick up a gun from an FFL, you complete a federal background check, then fill out a state background check to make sure you didn't commit any crimes after completing the first check. :roll:
That will now apply to private sales. I think family transfers are ok.