Vermont Democrat to introduce ban on carrying semi-autos in certain spaces

Senate to consider banning semi-automatic weapons in some public spaces
Sen. Phil Baruth, D/P-Chittenden, said Tuesday he will be introducing legislation that would prevent people from carrying semi-automatic weapons in areas including parks, stores, restaurants, airports, places of worship, auditoriums, theaters and childcare facilities. It would also ban people from carrying semi-automatic firearms during political demonstrations.

Vermont has some of the least restrictive carry laws in the country. The only places the state currently prohibits people from bringing firearms are on school grounds and in state buildings. Unlike some states, Vermont does not require a permit to carry a firearm — concealed or open.

“Everybody’s sort of conditioned to accept the fact that in public, people are going to carry weapons that are designed to kill large numbers of human beings,” Baruth said.
Baruth also wants a 48-hour waiting period.

Re: Vermont Democrat to introduce ban on carrying semi-autos in certain spaces

DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:44 pm Democratic Senator Dick Sears tells the ruled what they don't need:
“It’s hard to argue why you need to carry an assault weapon at a football game,” he said.
Is this so common an occurrence that it needs to be addressed? I don't recall ever hearing of someone carrying an assault weapon (rifle? handgun?) to a football game, let alone shooting people with it. Perhaps we should ban asteroids. One killed the dinosaurs and the impact shifted the world from flat to round (the asteroid is inside the previously flat earth covering, really, I read about it in the National Enquirer).

+1 on banning those pesky near-Earth asteroids. Who needs those in a civilized society, anyway?

So they don't have a problem with revolvers and pump shotguns in parks, stores, restaurants, airports, places of worship, auditoriums, theaters and childcare facilities?

And pro-2A Protesters can't carry weapons? Sounds like a 1A issue to me.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

featureless wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:01 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:44 pm Democratic Senator Dick Sears tells the ruled what they don't need:
“It’s hard to argue why you need to carry an assault weapon at a football game,” he said.
Is this so common an occurrence that it needs to be addressed? I don't recall ever hearing of someone carrying an assault weapon (rifle? handgun?) to a football game, let alone shooting people with it. Perhaps we should ban asteroids. One killed the dinosaurs and the impact shifted the world from flat to round (the asteroid is inside the previously flat earth covering, really, I read about it in the National Enquirer).
In Virginia it happens enough to get some people freaked out. Sometimes it is attention whores just hoping for a chance to get into an argument with cops. It was just a few days after one of the recent mass shootings that a guy decided to go into a walmart to "test their dedication to the 2nd amdnemdnt" with a black rifle and all the gear, vest, spare mags, drop thigh holster with a handgun. Scared the shit out of everybody. A fireman who happend to be carrying his handgun intercepted the 2nd amendment auditor and drew down on him. Ordered the guy to the ground until the cops showed up. It's a cultural issue, and an attention whore issue. When I approached the pro gun control democrats about working to change the culture and improve public safety, they told me to fuck off.

frankr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:05 pm
In Virginia it happens enough to get some people freaked out. Sometimes it is attention whores just hoping for a chance to get into an argument with cops. It was just a few days after one of the recent mass shootings that a guy decided to go into a walmart to "test their dedication to the 2nd amdnemdnt" with a black rifle and all the gear, vest, spare mags, drop thigh holster with a handgun. Scared the shit out of everybody. A fireman who happend to be carrying his handgun intercepted the 2nd amendment auditor and drew down on him. Ordered the guy to the ground until the cops showed up. It's a cultural issue, and an attention whore issue. When I approached the pro gun control democrats about working to change the culture and improve public safety, they told me to fuck off.
They are scared and it was a major voting issue in the VA elections due to some recent shootings. If the pro-2A kids could stop trying to argue with cops and stop scaring people, we might have a chance to discuss things calmly in a few years. This isn't going to end soon and we may get another AWB for a decade.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:11 am
frankr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:05 pm
They are scared and it was a major voting issue in the VA elections due to some recent shootings. If the pro-2A kids could stop trying to argue with cops and stop scaring people, we might have a chance to discuss things calmly in a few years. This isn't going to end soon and we may get another AWB for a decade.
It is my current belief that pro-authoritarian influences from outside of this state convinced voters in northern va there is more support for gun restrictions in the state than there actually is, a scam to get attack the 2nd amendment. I'll change my view on that if I see new info. I don't know if I hope I am right or not. I want what is best for americans. I am not at all convinced democrat voters want this.