Massachusetts Democrat introduces bill to "screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home"

H.2005
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/191/H2005
SECTION 1. Chapter 111 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after section 236 the following section:-

Section 237. The director shall establish a program for firearm screening and counseling. Such program shall systematically screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home. The director shall, after consultation with recognized professional medical groups and such other sources as the director deems appropriate, promulgate regulations establishing (1) the means by which and the intervals at which patients shall be screened for the presence of firearms in the home and (2) guidelines for safety counseling for individuals that screen positive for the presence of firearms in the home.

SECTION 2. This section shall take effect 6 months after its passage.
Relates back to the Democratic Party platform plank on gun prohibition topic and others about treating firearm ownership as a public health issue.

Re: Massachusetts Democrat introduces bill to "screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home"

highdesert wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:39 pm They've tried those bills in a few states, MA is a blue state so could pass. My last physician's medical group had a question about firearms in the home on new patient forms. I said no, it's none of their business.
It is none of their business. I agree.

Why would any doctor ask that? If one did, I would ask what car she/he drives and her/his address, UPIN, and DEA#.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Massachusetts Democrat introduces bill to "screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home"

So...what does possessing a gun have to do with the impacted salivary gland that took me to urgent care on Sunday?

Gun violence IS a health car issue. I think that is obvious because it means someone has been shot or threatened. But that doesn't mean gun ownership is.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Now I am curious. You could say yes, see what comes of it, and mention your nerf gun if actually asked about the "gun"

If they are doing "safety counseling for individuals", why not focus on those who have no idea what to do with a firearm? They are more dangerous.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm Now I am curious. You could say yes, see what comes of it, and mention your nerf gun if actually asked about the "gun"

If they are doing "safety counseling for individuals", why not focus on those who have no idea what to do with a firearm? They are more dangerous.
Yeah, before I owned a firearm I had several guns in the house:
Framing gun
Trim gun
Staple guns (pneumatic, electric, manual)
Soldering gun
Glue gun
Heat gun

I don't have one but there's construction firearms, like Ramset and Hilti percussion cap guns, that straddle the line.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

K9s wrote:If they are doing "safety counseling for individuals", why not focus on those who have no idea what to do with a firearm? They are more dangerous.
Or doctors could focus on something in their wheelhouse--medical malpractice.

I would be loath to recommend anyone receive firearm "safety" training from a physician.

sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Massachusetts Democrat introduces bill to

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:58 pm
K9s wrote:If they are doing "safety counseling for individuals", why not focus on those who have no idea what to do with a firearm? They are more dangerous.
Or doctors could focus on something in their wheelhouse--medical malpractice.

I would be loath to recommend anyone receive firearm "safety" training from a physician.
It would either be hilarious or enraging. My guess is that would treat it like smoking - just stop or you will die.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

frankr wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:35 pm Using the massive medical industry and government control to attack constitutional rights. Fucking scary.

I think it is entirely plausible an anti-gun doctor would refuse to treat gun owners.
GPs are not part of any "medical industrial complex" and the only doctors known to refuse treatment are anti-trans/anti-lgbt/misogynist/racist docs.

GPs wouldn't refuse to treat gun owners. False equivalency with right-wing docs.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:42 am So democrats are ok with mandating what doctors say to patients? I guess they have no problem with the legality of forcing doctors to talk about adoption when women inquire about abortion services.
Makes me wonder if this is all a grand strategy to get both visions of doctor intervention tossed out by SCOTUS?

Or maybe it is all just political wedge issues and now they want docs involved in them, too. Either way, they both sure get some voters worked up.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt