Re: Quest for ammo, places to look

Bsmithwins wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:00 pm Another vote for always checking at https://gun-deals.com/ammo for realistic prices.

That said, https://www.sgammo.com usually has the lowest prices and doesn't play games with surprise fees.

My take right now is prices are still higher than pre-covid but there is actual ammo available. I'm not stocking up at these prices but I am buying some calibers that I am short on.

BSW
Agree. I’m starting to find some ammo that wasn’t previously available. Still, not all calibers are easy to find. I’m also just picking up a few boxes here and there on calibers that are low.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Bsmithwins wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:00 pm Another vote for always checking at https://gun-deals.com/ammo for realistic prices.

That said, https://www.sgammo.com usually has the lowest prices and doesn't play games with surprise fees.

My take right now is prices are still higher than pre-covid but there is actual ammo available. I'm not stocking up at these prices but I am buying some calibers that I am short on.

BSW
Well, sorta with MO ammo. Most all charge shipping, and those $.31 per 9mm become $.45 or so per with their around $15 shipping fee. Same for 556/223.
Bass Pro locally has had LOTS of ammo..just bought some Herters 9mm...$36 per 100..military discount even less, plus some tax.

Read an article yesterday about the problem getting ammo in Alaska. Seems they have a real problem getting ammo for hunting. Seems the major problem is transportation, that is delivering it to remote towns and villages where a lot of people rely on hunting for food. Very few roads. main means of transport is by plane or boat. That limits how much can be transported. Plus they have a big problem getting it shipped from the lower 48. It has to go by road (through Canada) or by ship.

On the other hand I was in a local gun store today and they seem to have plenty, and the place was packed and most were buying ammo. I noticed they even had some Russian ammo. Probably stocked before the embargo.
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

OldCoastie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:21 am Read an article yesterday about the problem getting ammo in Alaska. Seems they have a real problem getting ammo for hunting. Seems the major problem is transportation, that is delivering it to remote towns and villages where a lot of people rely on hunting for food. Very few roads. main means of transport is by plane or boat. That limits how much can be transported. Plus they have a big problem getting it shipped from the lower 48. It has to go by road (through Canada) or by ship.

On the other hand I was in a local gun store today and they seem to have plenty, and the place was packed and most were buying ammo. I noticed they even had some Russian ammo. Probably stocked before the embargo.
Seems it’s a hit miss where there is ammo and where there is not. I am seeing ammo locally, the selection is small, but it’s at least starting to increase.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

My LGS listed .45 Colt for the first time in ages just before New Years. I didn't get the chance to run down until today, but I've had good luck with S&B JHPs and they weren't stupidly overpriced. Okay, more than I paid two years ago, but still reasonable for .45 Colt and dirt cheap for JHPs. Cowboy Magtech cost more. I didn't sweep the shelves - I left a box for someone else. Still can't bring myself to pay $60 / 50 for 200 grains of lead at 700 fps though.

I noticed they even had some Russian ammo. Probably stocked before the embargo.
Go here
wikiarms.com

Go to 9mm and 14 or 15 of the first 20 places are all russian ammo..
However, it should be noted that imports are not yet completely halted. Days after the Federal Register announcement, the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) clarified confusion in a bulletin it to its member retailers. “Working with Congress, NSSF has learned that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will honor all Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Form 6 permits approved on or before Sept. 6, 2021 and allow the import of Russian-made ammunition and firearms even if they arrive at a U.S. port on or after Sept. 7, 2021,” it stated. “The new State Department policy will only impact applications not yet approved by Sept. 7, 2021.”
We have several approved Form 6s—this is the approval from our government to import ammo and the exact caliber/description and amount we can bring in—a Form 6 has a ‘lifespan’ of 2 years. If you do not fulfill the approved quantities by 24 months, the Form 6 ‘dies’ and you cannot use it anymore. All new Form 6s are being denied so from this point on we will be working off of those older approved forms … that is, until they expire.”
So, in other words, there really isn't any 'embargo' right now until these approved before September 6, 2021 ones expire in 2023...

'Biden approved a embargo on ammunition'....'slippery slope, attack on the 2A', and other such pablum for the masses of ignorant.

The important word here is 'russian' not 'ammunition'...putin is not our friend..maybe trump the traitor's but not the USA.
Last edited by F4FEver on Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:18 pm My LGS listed .45 Colt for the first time in ages just before New Years. I didn't get the chance to run down until today, but I've had good luck with S&B JHPs and they weren't stupidly overpriced. Okay, more than I paid two years ago, but still reasonable for .45 Colt and dirt cheap for JHPs. Cowboy Magtech cost more. I didn't sweep the shelves - I left a box for someone else. Still can't bring myself to pay $60 / 50 for 200 grains of lead at 700 fps though.
If you're shooting .45 Colt, then you need to get set up to reload if you aren't already. That round will quickly put you in the poorhouse if you shoot enough of factory ammo. As a fellow .45 Colt afficionado, ask me how I know that. :-)

If you don't yet reload...then follow the Holy Commandment and KEEP THY BRASS. Even at today's panic prices, rolling your own with something like a Lee Classic Turret Press is way less expensive per round than buying factory ammo. You also don't have to worry so much about ammo availability. I have no problems whatsoever.

Regarding rifle ammo, that's just as much of a case to get set up to roll your own. I shoot 7.62x54R in a Mosin. Good luck finding *that* ammo in a gun store! Fortunately, I've got brass, some Lee 6-cavity 0.312" moulds, large rifle primers, and some BL-C(2), which--along with Varget--is ideal for this round.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/