Re: newbie question - .308 win

lukan91 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:45 pm Hey all. Newbie here - just bought a T/C Compass II .308 for deer season. Looking forward to heading into the woods soon.

Question - what would you all recommend for lead-free ammo? Got a buddy who says Barnes is a great option.
Barnes Vortex 150 gr copper TSX BT or Barnes Vortex 168gr copper TSX BT

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... ster&text=#

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

My advice, buy a little at a time when the price is high and increase purchases as availability rises and prices drop. I know pretty obvious, it’s been my strategy since 2012. It averages out.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Even though I don't hunt, a good friend of mine works ammo at a big box store in California, so I follow the change in requirements for non lead ammo for hunting. Yuge market here. More makers should get in on it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

One box of the premium ammo (or one box of several different types if availability and your budget allow for it) should be all you need if you are already a comfortable shooter. 10-15 rounds to zero from bore-sight if the gun/scope combo are brand new, then the remaining few for your hunt. If you need a bunch more ammo to practice with, that would be a much more expensive endeavor at the moment. My hunting caliber is currently sitting at around $2.50/round.

Most of your ammo is going towards preparing to hunt, zeroing your ammo out of your rifle, only 1-2 should be necessary for the hunt itself...unless you are Wayne LaPierre...too soon?

I enjoy target shooting. I like to try to improve my shooting. It means practicing the basics and hoping for better results each time. Some people play golf a lot. Some play a little. I like to shoot paper targets and forget about the workday.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt