357 lever gun ammo

How well does 38 ammo feed and shoot? Does steel or aluminum case ammo cause issues? I shoot a bit of CCI aluminum case 38 out of revolvers because... why not? 38 and 357 costs a lot more than 9mm.

Just curious about the possibilities for non-reloaders.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: 357 lever gun ammo

Most feed and shoot fine. The OAL of .38 Specials is shorter so the round flops around a bit more when lifted and pushed into chamber by the bolt. Depending on which levergun you own it shouldn’t make a difference (unless you rack the lever with the gun at a funny angle for some reason, like upside down).

If shooting .38 in the levergun just be aware that you really should scrub the chamber clean before shooting .357 again or you may well put that rifle out of commission for the rest of the range trip due to a stuck case. Happened to me. Unfortunately the extractor was strong enough to rip the base of the brass case clean out leaving a brass tube inside the chamber (which required some ingenuity to remove over a period of several weeks of googling).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

In terms of ammo, federal seems pretty cheap and also runs hot, so perfect for a levergun.

Also, you can shoot both 357 and 38 in the same session without cleaning, but you got to shoot the 357 first, followed by 38. Then clean when you get home.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I mostly have Fiocchi and American Eagle for .357 mag, .38 special in Blazer Brass, American Eagle, Fiocchi, and Remington. I'm indifferent between Fiocchi, Am Eagle and BB. Not so crazy about Remington.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Gotta reload if you’re getting into .357. Actually if you’re gonna shoot anything aside from 9mm and that Russian stuff you’ve hoarded, K9s...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi