M1 Garand spent cases, an observation

I’ve had some minor tweaks I’ve made to the M1 Garand, nothing major just correcting minor annoyances. The gas plug kept loosening up during range trips. At first it would cause the sight to wobble and by the end of shooting would be visibly crooked. Fixed by preening the splines, a procedure described in a M1 Garand maintenance manual. The plug continued to loosen during range trips, so I decided to switch to a ported gas plug and see if that had any effect. It did. Last trip the plug did not loosen and additionally the spent brass was less damaged. The two pictures show a more dimpled set which was prior to the switch and the less damaged cases are from the last outing with a ported gas plug. The ammo in both cases was the PPU 150gr for the M1 Garand.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
6F7E4762-C55E-4160-9392-2954A313F451.jpeg
0E386A4B-110B-4430-A2DE-291E7E1699D9.jpeg

Re: M1 Garand spent cases, an observation

Eris wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm Interesting. I've never recovered my brass to check it, but I did change the gas plug as the first thing I did when I got the gun. I wanted to make sure I'd never have to worry if I accidentally used the wrong ammo.
A wise precaution.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Your groups will be a lot larger if your plug is loose. Be gentle cranking on that plug. If you are vigorous cranking on the plug, you may loosen the gas cylinder on its splines, that hold the gas cylinder to the barrel, and mess up your accuracy more. I have not just a plug wrench, but another wrench that holds the gas cylinder directly.

Normally I wouldn't worry about accidentally doing it- it did save me from not being able to shoot the Garand a few years ago at the MITM though, as there was no garand safe food available. The less mangled cases is definitely a great side effect, and should be emphasized on the for sale page of that thing though.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou