AR-15: Wolf Steel v Brass Ammo

I didn't want to start a new steel v brass thread, but the other threads I found are mini-14 and bolt action questions.

I have been wondering about steel vs brass lately. With my semi-auto pistols, I stay away from steel. It just gives me a lot of FTE drills. I don't mind steel case for a revolver. The brass .223 costs as much as 5.56, but is 50% more than Wolf steel.

Some say that steel isn't bad for the AR, and the price is right. Any issues with running Wolf steel 223 in an AR-15? I would probably only shoot it through my PSA uppers. After 3000 rounds, the savings would pay for new uppers.

While the infamous Lucky Gunner "study" showed bi-metal bullets fired with constant mag dumps for 1000s of rounds without cleaning destroys the barrel sooner, they showed no real extractor issues. Other than that, I cannot find anything other than anecdotal evidence.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: AR-15: Wolf Steel v Brass Ammo

Barrels are a consumable item, just like ammo. Shooting more means you replace the barrel sooner. In my experience it doesn't matter for plinking or 3 gun; Wolf steel is 2 MOA ammo but Wolf brass can do 1MOA. I've shot thousands of Wolf steel rounds and I've only had one bad experience where the extractor ripped the rim of the shell off. I was able to flick the shell out with a knife, so it wasn't stuck in the barrel.

offensivename wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 pm Steel case doesn't expand as much so it tends to let more gas back into the action, so more cleaning if that bothers you. Consistency is worse as well because of the cheapness, I personally won't buy any more steel case for my Grendel, wasnt precise enough to be fun
I was thinking the same thing. Steel might be cheaper, but it's not like I am shooting 1000s per day. I like to hit the target and shoot for accuracy, not splatter it. If I had a desert nearby and land to shoot at steel targets, it might be more fun to shoot steel ammo. I shoot enough of it in 7.62x39 anyway. Might as well pay a little extra.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

blackcarbine wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:31 am I ran about 400 rounds with tula steel cases through my AR-15. I had a couple of stovepipes and finally had a fully stuck casing, had to mortar the hell out of the rifle to get that casing out and will never run tula steel through it again.
Yeah, I don't buy Tula ammo. Ever.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Not to beat a dead horse, but I put 10 rounds of Wolf .308 through my AR-10 today because the rifle fell over and I wanted to see if the scope needed to be zeroed. At 100 yards it shot a really close group. At 200 yards it was not as hot but a lot of that is my old eyes and the simple fact that the rifle probably isn't that accurate.

But had it been a hog or other lower life form (enter your own comment there) it would have been a kill shot at 200 yards.