Re: .224 Valkyrie

Pretty interesting cartridge. Like a 22 PPC with a faster twist rate to accommodate the heavier bullets- obviously less taper. Might burn barrels and brass at a pretty high rate, but will have to see how it does in the real world.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Man. That is an interesting look at how much less drop you've got at 1000 yards than the Grendel. Comparable to my 7.62x54R loads in fact, with slightly higher wind drift
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Only thing is that it remains somewhat academic, or in other words for paper punching only. If I were actually trying to hit an active target at 1000 yards (and that's a speculative "if" in my world, since I'm not a military sniper), then I'd take 6.5 or .338.

I don't think this would be particularly rough on barrels. It's nowhere near the charges of 22-250 or as overbore as the 243 (the two notorious barrel burners I can think of).

Edit to add: I looked it up, case capacity increase over 223/5.56 is not quite 20%. Barrel life will be fine. The big deal is a slight increase in capacity with a substantial decrease in case length, allowing for those wonderfully long bullets to be loaded at magazine length.

If I had a farm where I could set up a 1000yd range I could get into it. Of course it would also have to involve owning an ultra lite so I could fly down to reset my targets.

I would hazard a guess that factory ammo would be cheaper than reloading 338 lapua or 50 BMG. 1000 yd facilities tend to be few and far between.

eelj wrote:If I had a farm where I could set up a 1000yd range I could get into it. Of course it would also have to involve owning an ultra lite so I could fly down to reset my targets.

I would hazard a guess that factory ammo would be cheaper than reloading 338 lapua or 50 BMG. 1000 yd facilities tend to be few and far between.
Ammo prices aren't terrible, around $.50 for 75 grain, $1.10 for 90 grain, $1.20 for 90 grain match grade

eelj wrote: Of course it would also have to involve owning an ultra lite so I could fly down to reset my targets.
:lol:

They make 1500 watt electric bikes that will make the trip almost as fast, way safer, way quieter and cheaper. Maybe not quite as much fun.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I actually know someone who started working at Federal Cartridge as an engineer about six months ago or so. She's a roller derby skater on the same team as my daughter and her derby name is "Val Kyrie". They named this cartridge after her. :)

http://www.northstarrollerderby.com/pla ... /?team=212
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

I don't know how much involvement she had with the actual design. I think she may have been involved in some of the testing.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.