Re: How many have been vaccinated?

lurker wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 am
Stiff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 am It’s all fine and dandy to me. If trumpers don’t want the vaccine, I’m more than happy to take it. They refuse to mask up and get vaccinated, so we’ll see Darwin effect in force.
it's self-selection of the fittest. darwin approves.
The problem, of course is, that this disease can be transmitted without the carrier having ANY symptoms at all, may never even get them, or may get sick later.
I actually don't give a shit if the deniers get sick and die, but, like Trump and Guiliani, they'll DEMAND the finest treatment--at our expense. And I resent them thinking they can infect others.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

How many of you remember going through this before, but with seat belts and motorcycle helmets?

I was one of the crazies that had seat belts (wide lap belt ones with massive buckles at first and then full four point ones just a few years later) long before they were even an option on cars.

I always supported the mandatory seat belt requirements but opposed mandatory motorcycle helmets.

The 'Reasoning'.

Seatbelts serve three functions that never seem to get discussed related to avoiding being in an accident. First the seatbelt helps keep the driver in place and positioned behind the steering wheel during violent evasive maneuvering. Second the seat belts keep other passengers from being thrown into the driver during violent evasive maneuvering. And third the seatbelts allow the driver to concentrate on avoiding the accident rather than protecting the passengers.

Other people in cars wearing seatbelts directly contribute to my safety as well as theirs just as other people wearing masks contribute to my safety as well as theirs.

But what about motorcycle helmets? Motorcycle helmets offer protection to the person wearing the helmet but little or no protection to others on the road. If someone is dumb enough to not wear a helmet (and appropriate clothes) when ridding on a motorcycle I think they should be allowed to be stupid. I would support a law that said someone injured while ridding a motorcycle but not wearing a helmet is not entitled to public financed health care to cover any injuries. They should be able to buy insurance coverage but the public should not have to pay for their stupidity.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 am
lurker wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 am
Stiff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 am It’s all fine and dandy to me. If trumpers don’t want the vaccine, I’m more than happy to take it. They refuse to mask up and get vaccinated, so we’ll see Darwin effect in force.
it's self-selection of the fittest. darwin approves.
The problem, of course is, that this disease can be transmitted without the carrier having ANY symptoms at all, may never even get them, or may get sick later.
I actually don't give a shit if the deniers get sick and die, but, like Trump and Guiliani, they'll DEMAND the finest treatment--at our expense. And I resent them thinking they can infect others.
They are arrogant entitled assholes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sig230 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:05 am How many of you remember going through this before, but with seat belts and motorcycle helmets?

I was one of the crazies that had seat belts (wide lap belt ones with massive buckles at first and then full four point ones just a few years later) long before they were even an option on cars.

I always supported the mandatory seat belt requirements but opposed mandatory motorcycle helmets.

The 'Reasoning'.

Seatbelts serve three functions that never seem to get discussed related to avoiding being in an accident. First the seatbelt helps keep the driver in place and positioned behind the steering wheel during violent evasive maneuvering. Second the seat belts keep other passengers from being thrown into the driver during violent evasive maneuvering. And third the seatbelts allow the driver to concentrate on avoiding the accident rather than protecting the passengers.

Other people in cars wearing seatbelts directly contribute to my safety as well as theirs just as other people wearing masks contribute to my safety as well as theirs.

But what about motorcycle helmets? Motorcycle helmets offer protection to the person wearing the helmet but little or no protection to others on the road. If someone is dumb enough to not wear a helmet (and appropriate clothes) when ridding on a motorcycle I think they should be allowed to be stupid. I would support a law that said someone injured while ridding a motorcycle but not wearing a helmet is not entitled to public financed health care to cover any injuries. They should be able to buy insurance coverage but the public should not have to pay for their stupidity.
I’m not too bent out of shape that the motorcycle helmet law was repealed in Texas. When I took my riding course it was required, I won’t get on my motorcycle without my helmet. My only thought on those who choose not to wear a helmet is if their private insurance doesn’t cover their ventilator hospitalization costs, they should be allowed to perish. To me not wearing a helmet is almost like saying, I choose to die if I have an accident. It’s like an automatic do not resuscitate card.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I certainly get your point. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Problem is, this is one of those cooperative games where you win or lose as a group.

And as a hospital physician in a rural, deep red area, I have a slightly different take. Viruses are apolitical. No doubt, a lot of people were going to get sick and die last year no matter what we did, but it didn't have to be so many. And it didn't have to be in such overwhelming waves.

Every time I was the only masked customer in a gas station, I had to contain my anger thinking of all the people they're putting at risk: nursing home residents and staff (virus burned through our local nursing homes), my staff (overworked, underpaid, underappreciated).

I'm over it now because I really see this thing trailing off unless there is some unknown I'm not aware of.

Glad everyone's getting vaccinated! That's part of the light at the end of the tunnel for me.

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 am Congrats to Subrosa and Stiff on getting vaccinated, the vaccines are out there it just takes some searching. I found my first dose in a red area of my county.
I've heard from more than one source the red areas are where one can find empty slots! :whistle: Why not then!

I, too, am a motorcycle rider, since 1976.
I used to argue against helmet laws, but not eye protection laws. I have never ridden more than a few feet without a helmet and never will.
Why eye protection? If your eyes aren't protected you could easily cause an accident.

So....have you ever had a rock fly off a dump truck and crack your windshield? I've had it happen on my car, my wife has had it happen at least twice on her car, and very recently we had it happen on the family SUV.
Cracked Traverse Windshield.jpg
Imagine what that could do to your unprotected head.

So...your cruising down the road at 65-75 mph, and you're behind a dump truck full of 1 1/2" gravel and it's not properly covered...and those rocks come flying at you, If you're wearing leathers and boots it can really hurt, even more if you're not wearing them. But if you're NOT wearing a helmet and it hits you in the head? You can be knocked unconscious or lose control and crash your ride, putting OTHER people at risk.

The difference between the cheapest helmet and the best, most expensive one is miniscule compared to the difference between no helmet and any helmet.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:14 am I, too, am a motorcycle rider, since 1976.
I used to argue against helmet laws, but not eye protection laws. I have never ridden more than a few feet without a helmet and never will.
Why eye protection? If your eyes aren't protected you could easily cause an accident.

So....have you ever had a rock fly off a dump truck and crack your windshield? I've had it happen on my car, my wife has had it happen at least twice on her car, and very recently we had it happen on the family SUV.
Cracked Traverse Windshield.jpg
Imagine what that could do to your unprotected head.

So...your cruising down the road at 65-75 mph, and you're behind a dump truck full of 1 1/2" gravel and it's not properly covered...and those rocks come flying at you, If you're wearing leathers and boots it can really hurt, even more if you're not wearing them. But if you're NOT wearing a helmet and it hits you in the head? You can be knocked unconscious or lose control and crash your ride, putting OTHER people at risk.

The difference between the cheapest helmet and the best, most expensive one is miniscule compared to the difference between no helmet and any helmet.
It’s not a bad idea to have more than one helmet in different styles. They’re a bit like holsters. Some serve better for some functions than others.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 am It’s not a bad idea to have more than one helmet in different styles. They’re a bit like holsters. Some serve better for some functions than others.
"Head Holsters."

Were I you, I'd trademark that bad boy right there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:48 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:22 am It’s not a bad idea to have more than one helmet in different styles. They’re a bit like holsters. Some serve better for some functions than others.
"Head Holsters."

Were I you, I'd trademark that bad boy right there.

CDFingers
:roflmao: You're right that could be a real money maker! :roflmao:

My daughter is young but of high risk. She lives on the other side of the continent and I panic at least weekly being so far away, although I'd fly in a heartbeat if she needed me. Well California changed their rules last Monday and mid week she texted that she'd secured an appointment for this coming week. The relief has been really emotional.

cooper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 am
I certainly get your point. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Problem is, this is one of those cooperative games where you win or lose as a group.

And as a hospital physician in a rural, deep red area, I have a slightly different take. Viruses are apolitical. No doubt, a lot of people were going to get sick and die last year no matter what we did, but it didn't have to be so many. And it didn't have to be in such overwhelming waves.

Every time I was the only masked customer in a gas station, I had to contain my anger thinking of all the people they're putting at risk: nursing home residents and staff (virus burned through our local nursing homes), my staff (overworked, underpaid, underappreciated).

I'm over it now because I really see this thing trailing off unless there is some unknown I'm not aware of.

Glad everyone's getting vaccinated! That's part of the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
Until everybody who wants it gets vaccinated, we would still be suffering involuntary deaths. I agree, that is very unfortunate.

However, when all the willing have been vaccinated and (hopefully) immune, then I’m not too concerned about the anti-vaxxers.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I came of age (for motorcycles) in CA right when the helmet law came into effect. Now I am in the “free state” of AZ where a motorcyclist is free to ride as idiotic as they wish. I know a helmet doesn’t really help in an auto collision but as CD says, it makes a world of difference in flying debris (or even swarms of migrating bees) hitting the head or face at highway speeds. Just like bullets, force is a measure of velocity as well as mass.

And yet, how many of us really cringed watching Easy Rider for the first time? Or were we whistfully pining for a bygone era?
Oh, count me as vaccinated. Both shots now. (Not a complete threadjack.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

cooper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 am

The prospects of this just trailing off may not be a given even with vaccination for that magical 70 plus percent. I’m now starting to read that herd immunity may no longer be possible with this virus. It’s a depressing thought. From what I understand even with vaccination we may be going into an endemic phase where periodic surges will occur. That I suppose means periods of masks, restrictions and booster shots. Note, this is what I’m starting to see in articles, I’m only a layman on this subject. Still it doesn’t sound good. I don’t understand if this is because we let the virus get out of hand and too many variants sprung up or what. Anyway perhaps y’all in the medical field will explain what is going on and where we are headed.

Third morning after the second a Moderna shot I’m feeling ok waking up. I do still have some tenderness at the injection site arm. First day and some extent the second day tiredness, muscle aches and I could feel a headache coming. Took ibuprofen and slept a lot. My wife had a different reaction. She had a rash on the injection site arm, flu like symptoms, a fever over a hundred, but it didn’t seem to slow her normal pace. Although she said her balance was a bit off, she has MS. She had the more visible and measurable reactions to the vaccine. My wife has not had fevers very often, she is seldom sick other than her MS.

Bisbee wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:04 am I came of age (for motorcycles) in CA right when the helmet law came into effect. Now I am in the “free state” of AZ where a motorcyclist is free to ride as idiotic as they wish. I know a helmet doesn’t really help in an auto collision but as CD says, it makes a world of difference in flying debris (or even swarms of migrating bees) hitting the head or face at highway speeds. Just like bullets, force is a measure of velocity as well as mass.

And yet, how many of us really cringed watching Easy Rider for the first time? Or were we whistfully pining for a bygone era?
Oh, count me as vaccinated. Both shots now. (Not a complete threadjack.)
I have never been able to watch Easy Rider for much beyond the introduction.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Stiff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm Until everybody who wants it gets vaccinated, we would still be suffering involuntary deaths. I agree, that is very unfortunate.

However, when all the willing have been vaccinated and (hopefully) immune, then I’m not too concerned about the anti-vaxxers.
Fair enough. I'm just not going to join in on cheering for / hoping for other people's deaths. At the risk of being a completely sanctimonious shit, I signed too many death certificates last year. Doesn't ask me to mark political affiliation. I walked with these people to the end, and they are all loved and/or missed by someone. Harder to cheer death when it's a face-to-face thing.

I understand we're all just ranting here (probably a careful search of my posts would reveal me ranting shit I didn't mean at an angry moment). I doubt anyone is truly hoping for the Darwinian extinction of a group of people based on their beliefs. We're all just super angry. Let the rants continue, but dehumanizing the "others" is a dangerous place to go.

Well, that was some pretty sanctimonious shit for a Monday morning. Good thing I'm back to work tomorrow--I won't have time to set the world right over a cup (or more) of coffee in the morning.

cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:57 am
Stiff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm Until everybody who wants it gets vaccinated, we would still be suffering involuntary deaths. I agree, that is very unfortunate.

Fair enough. I'm just not going to join in on cheering for / hoping for other people's deaths. At the risk of being a completely sanctimonious shit, I signed too many death certificates last year. Doesn't ask me to mark political affiliation. I walked with these people to the end, and they are all loved and/or missed by someone. Harder to cheer death when it's a face-to-face thing.

I understand we're all just ranting here (probably a careful search of my posts would reveal me ranting shit I didn't mean at an angry moment). I doubt anyone is truly hoping for the Darwinian extinction of a group of people based on their beliefs. We're all just super angry. Let the rants continue, but dehumanizing the "others" is a dangerous place to go.

Well, that was some pretty sanctimonious shit for a Monday morning. Good thing I'm back to work tomorrow--I won't have time to set the world right over a cup (or more) of coffee in the morning.
Not hoping, but I won’t grieve for them either. Unfortunately signing death certificates is part of your job. So is the good happy part, healing and discharging a healthy cured patient. Stay sane.

cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:59 am
Bisbee wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:04 am And yet, how many of us really cringed watching Easy Rider for the first time? Or were we whistfully pining for a bygone era?
Heh heh. I've never watched it. I cringe at the costumes though.
I’ve seen it, but to me it never was a movie I looked at in terms of realism. Certainly it didn’t influence my thoughts about riding motorcycles and wearing helmets.

As cooper said, the virus is non-partisan. People's life styles and immune systems are more important than their politics in surviving the virus. Death is a reality of life, but I won't cheer on anyone to die.

My brother died in a motorcycle accident and his best friend also died in a motorcycle accident. An employee of mine almost died when he was driving a moped and it was hit by a car. I'm not out for banning any of them, but I'd never drive or ride on one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 am
cooper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 am I'm over it now because I really see this thing trailing off unless there is some unknown I'm not aware of.

The prospects of this just trailing off may not be a given even with vaccination for that magical 70 plus percent. I’m now starting to read that herd immunity may no longer be possible with this virus. It’s a depressing thought. From what I understand even with vaccination we may be going into an endemic phase where periodic surges will occur. That I suppose means periods of masks, restrictions and booster shots. Note, this is what I’m starting to see in articles, I’m only a layman on this subject. Still it doesn’t sound good. I don’t understand if this is because we let the virus get out of hand and too many variants sprung up or what. Anyway perhaps y’all in the medical field will explain what is going on and where we are headed.
Unfortunately, you may be right about it becoming endemic. I guess my enthusiasm is more about it not being pandemic or epidemic anymore. I can't pretend to know much more about the future of this thing than most people on this board. I think it's an educated guess for everyone--even the epidemiologists. Could it evolve into a super killer virus? I suppose. Could it evolve into a mostly benign head cold? I guess. I'm just a frontline physician, not a virologist or epidemiologist or another supersmart "-ologist." Historically, it seems that other SARS epidemics burned out. Or did they just evolve into this terrible version, and there's more to come?

My optimism is a choice (maybe irrational, but it's what gets me through for now). And yeah, I know there's potential for more shit.

Stay safe, all.