Re: How many have been vaccinated?

sig230 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 am Finally we seem to be getting our act together down here in Hidalgo County. The local UT University has created an online registration to get vaccinated and coordinate the actual shot as well.

I can't believe something so obvious and necessary took over a year to put in place.
Same here in Bexar/SATX - started earlier this week. Hope it isn't as shambolic as the worthless previous scheduling for those without shots. Also, walk ins are being accepted at several places around the city.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

The head of Pfizer is now saying that most recipients will probably need a 3rd shot in 9 months to a year followed by an annual booster. Experts are saying this will probably apply to Moderna as well, like getting the annual flu shot. (tangentially, the 3 Covid vaccines provide between 75 and 95% protection but the annual flu shot gives between 50-60% protection).

Of course, they are also working on adapting the vaccines to fight the new mutations, too.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am The head of Pfizer is now saying that most recipients will probably need a 3rd shot in 9 months to a year followed by an annual booster. Experts are saying this will probably apply to Moderna as well, like getting the annual flu shot. (tangentially, the 3 Covid vaccines provide between 75 and 95% protection but the annual flu shot gives between 50-60% protection).

Of course, they are also working on adapting the vaccines to fight the new mutations, too.
As expected by many here. Like you and I said earlier, until we get the entire world vaccinated, mutations will be an ongoing threat. I don't see that as possible for many years, so...

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am The head of Pfizer is now saying that most recipients will probably need a 3rd shot in 9 months to a year followed by an annual booster. Experts are saying this will probably apply to Moderna as well, like getting the annual flu shot. (tangentially, the 3 Covid vaccines provide between 75 and 95% protection but the annual flu shot gives between 50-60% protection).

As expected by many here. Like you and I said earlier, until we get the entire world vaccinated, mutations will be an ongoing threat. I don't see that as possible for many years, so...

Yes the head of Pfizer said yesterday that a booster would be required in 6 to 12 months and annually. And a Moderna official said they will be out with a booster in the fall.

Oxford earlier said they'd have a booster for their AstraZeneca vaccine in the fall, haven't seen anything about J&J/Janssen. AZ and J&J are the main vaccines in the CoVax WHO project to immunize underdeveloped countries. Fauci said we won't need the AZ vaccine so we'll be sharing what's being produced in the US probably with the Americas our neighbors.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A RED Letter Day. For the first time in over a year we recorded zero Covid-19 deaths. But still over 200 new cases today.

It also marks the point where almost as many people in Hidalgo County have gotten at least a first vaccine dose as have gotten Covid-19.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

A sad day yesterday.

As posted above the situation in Hidalgo County shows that almost as many folk have gotten a first does as have gotten Covid-19 itself.

We suffered at first through simply not getting any vaccines and then we suffered because there was no organized system to distribute vaccines but in the last few weeks both of those issues have been addressed. Private industry (CVS, Walgreen, Sam's Club, Walmart, HEB), hospitals and city & county governments are finally actively administering vaccines.

The City of McAllen was able to get 2000 Moderna doses and set up an open clinic where all that was needed was to down load the forms from the city website and then show up to get a shot. Lines opened at 7am and the city said they would stay open as long as there were shots available.

But few showed up. By 2pm they shut everything down since the turnout had been so low and the remaining vaccines will be used at a future date.

This is silly. Less than 10% of the population of Hidalgo County has gotten their first dose so far so why didn't 2000 folk show up?

The site was reachable through the local bus routes and there are still hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated folk in the county. The required paperwork was available online to download and print out. The clinic was announced days before on radio, TV and online. There were no costs involved or even a requirement to show insurance coverage.

For once the city did everything right.

So what can we learn from this?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:11 am A sad day yesterday.

--snip--

For once the city did everything right.

So what can we learn from this?
We see demonstrated that belief is easy but not necessarily correct: folks can believe all sorts of things, but in the final analysis, the virus needs a body. Whether it's a Republican or Democratic body, whether it's male or female, black or white, young or old--it's a body. Living in a body is a problem for beliefs.

The Buddha learned to wait and to fast. While we wait for them to die, we fast against our congenital empathy.

So it goes.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I'm hopeful that the "vaccine hesitant" types will change their minds and get vaccinated. I sat next to one this past week at a doctor's appmt, she said she had a terrible reactions to all vaccines which is questionable. She said her husband is vaccinated as are relatives and she talked about all the healthy things she's doing but I doubt her "vaccine hesitancy".
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We just got our 16 year old (who has asthma, though not so severe now) his first Pfizer shot this morning. We had to drive 90 miles to get south of Fort Dix for the CVS that had Pfizer AND appointments. So far, other than a sore arm, he's fine. Our puppy, who is very intense and difficult is a SAINTLY traveler, however, loved riding with us, behaved himself....so he made it easy. In 3 weeks we have to do it again.
Our other son, in Cali, got his at a drive-thru site in the LA area on Tuesday. We hoping by the end of May either he or we can FINALLY travel to see each other!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm We just got our 16 year old (who has asthma, though not so severe now) his first Pfizer shot this morning. We had to drive 90 miles to get south of Fort Dix for the CVS that had Pfizer AND appointments. So far, other than a sore arm, he's fine. Our puppy, who is very intense and difficult is a SAINTLY traveler, however, loved riding with us, behaved himself....so he made it easy. In 3 weeks we have to do it again.
Our other son, in Cali, got his at a drive-thru site in the LA area on Tuesday. We hoping by the end of May either he or we can FINALLY travel to see each other!
Glad he got his shot! Y’all stay safe.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

we appear to have leveled off, though the underlying trend looks ready to shoot up again. only 79,991 confirmed cases yesterday. not surprising considering how many of us are getting our shots. the powers that be will declare victory and want to open everything up, which is of course stupid. be safe, y'all.
covid19.jpg
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

sikacz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm We just got our 16 year old (who has asthma, though not so severe now) his first Pfizer shot this morning. We had to drive 90 miles to get south of Fort Dix for the CVS that had Pfizer AND appointments. So far, other than a sore arm, he's fine. Our puppy, who is very intense and difficult is a SAINTLY traveler, however, loved riding with us, behaved himself....so he made it easy. In 3 weeks we have to do it again.
Yeah, it's been a LOOONNNGGG year since the beginning of March in 2020.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:57 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:14 pm
Yeah, it's been a LOOONNNGGG year since the beginning of March in 2020.

From someone who did a long drive to get the first dose it's worth it, I would have even driven to LA. Wino also had a long drive.

Nationally it looks like we're close to hitting a wall with hesitancy and anti-vaxxer propaganda.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lunge.html

100 million Americans have been fully vaccinated. We have more to go but I doubt we'll reach 300 million. Pfizer started exporting their US made vaccine from their Kalamazoo, MI site to Mexico, it doesn't affect supplies under their US contract.

sig230 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am Made it past two weeks after second dose.

Amazing how few issues were involved in the vaccinations and that the reality was that it was far less painful than my last Pneumonia vaccine.
Excellent. Unfortunately, the assimilation process starts slowly. You won't notice for a few more weeks. Resistance is futile.

I'm past my fourth week since my second dose of Pfizer. Hallelujah! I had more of a reaction from last years flu shot.

Last year in February I swear I had the bug, all the symptoms, coughing blood, short of breath and my head felt like it was going to fall off. Couldn't get to the doc, no tests available. SoI fought it off with copious amounts of Bourbon. I took two months off work to hibernate.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

ba1970 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 pm Fully vaccinated with Pfizer juice.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
I'm digging your avatar.

Anyway, as I've been gone since the covid ordeal began, I'd like to give my opinion on it's existence. It is mother nature's payback to man for screwing up the environment. The elimination of mankind has begun. Get your survival game on.

Has anyone seen the Netflix movie Songbird?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 pm My older son (26) had his 2nd Pfizer yesterday--a bit under the weather today. My younger son(16) gets his 2nd shot Saturday.

That's good news YT, so as of Saturday the whole family will have had its two doses. Amazing how quickly things have changed since the vaccines have rolled out.