Re: How many have been vaccinated?

cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 am
cooper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 am I'm over it now because I really see this thing trailing off unless there is some unknown I'm not aware of.

Glad everyone's getting vaccinated! That's part of the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
The prospects of this just trailing off may not be a given even with vaccination for that magical 70 plus percent. I’m now starting to read that herd immunity may no longer be possible with this virus. It’s a depressing thought. From what I understand even with vaccination we may be going into an endemic phase where periodic surges will occur. That I suppose means periods of masks, restrictions and booster shots. Note, this is what I’m starting to see in articles, I’m only a layman on this subject. Still it doesn’t sound good. I don’t understand if this is because we let the virus get out of hand and too many variants sprung up or what. Anyway perhaps y’all in the medical field will explain what is going on and where we are headed.
Unfortunately, you may be right about it becoming endemic. I guess my enthusiasm is more about it not being pandemic or epidemic anymore. I can't pretend to know much more about the future of this thing than most people on this board. I think it's an educated guess for everyone--even the epidemiologists. Could it evolve into a super killer virus? I suppose. Could it evolve into a mostly benign head cold? I guess. I'm just a frontline physician, not a virologist or epidemiologist or another supersmart "-ologist." Historically, it seems that other SARS epidemics burned out. Or did they just evolve into this terrible version, and there's more to come?

My optimism is a choice (maybe irrational, but it's what gets me through for now). And yeah, I know there's potential for more shit.

Stay safe, all.
Cooper,

You've seen the reality of Covid, far more so than most of us. I think like most frontline workers, you either have to continue with hope or risk falling into burnout/depression. Thanks again to you and all of the medical profession for saving as many as you can. None of us know what is to come, but I for one will never forget the mental and physical sacrifices people have made during this last year and can only hope your burden is less as time goes on. My ass has done what it can to stay home, stay safe, and stay out of yall's way. It's not much of a contribution, but it's what I've got. :)

We need to remember that the USofA is populated by the wilfully ignorant.

From USAFacts.org:
During the 2018-2019 flu season, 49.2% of people ages six months and older got a flu vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

That’s the highest level since the 2009-2010 flu season, but well below the 70% target that the Department of Health and Human Services set in 2010 for the entire population.
We have not yet ever reached even 70% when it comes to annual flu vaccines.

Is there any reason to expect Covid-19 or the sure to come other viruses to be any different?

If we can't even convince our own neighbors to get vaccinated what is the likelihood of seeing universal vaccinations?

Isn't it time we mandated vaccinations with really serious sanctions for any who are not vaccinated without any but the most extreme excuses?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:40 am
cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:31 am
cooper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:35 am I'm over it now because I really see this thing trailing off unless there is some unknown I'm not aware of.

Glad everyone's getting vaccinated! That's part of the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
The prospects of this just trailing off may not be a given even with vaccination for that magical 70 plus percent. I’m now starting to read that herd immunity may no longer be possible with this virus. It’s a depressing thought. From what I understand even with vaccination we may be going into an endemic phase where periodic surges will occur. That I suppose means periods of masks, restrictions and booster shots. Note, this is what I’m starting to see in articles, I’m only a layman on this subject. Still it doesn’t sound good. I don’t understand if this is because we let the virus get out of hand and too many variants sprung up or what. Anyway perhaps y’all in the medical field will explain what is going on and where we are headed.
Unfortunately, you may be right about it becoming endemic. I guess my enthusiasm is more about it not being pandemic or epidemic anymore. I can't pretend to know much more about the future of this thing than most people on this board. I think it's an educated guess for everyone--even the epidemiologists. Could it evolve into a super killer virus? I suppose. Could it evolve into a mostly benign head cold? I guess. I'm just a frontline physician, not a virologist or epidemiologist or another supersmart "-ologist." Historically, it seems that other SARS epidemics burned out. Or did they just evolve into this terrible version, and there's more to come?

My optimism is a choice (maybe irrational, but it's what gets me through for now). And yeah, I know there's potential for more shit.

Stay safe, all.
Cooper,

You've seen the reality of Covid, far more so than most of us. I think like most frontline workers, you either have to continue with hope or risk falling into burnout/depression. Thanks again to you and all of the medical profession for saving as many as you can. None of us know what is to come, but I for one will never forget the mental and physical sacrifices people have made during this last year and can only hope your burden is less as time goes on. My ass has done what it can to stay home, stay safe, and stay out of yall's way. It's not much of a contribution, but it's what I've got. :)
Likewise, my great contribution has been to stay away, stay home. I do wonder how some will ever recover economically from this. Will jobs be lost forever, will companies rehire or work with the diminished staff they have been now used to for a year, and what happens to people who fall into this category of non employed? Do we have the unity to setup systems to retrain and or subsidize those people no longer making a wage? We have another looming crisis beyond the pandemic or the potential future endemic. This administration has a lot on it's plate, and that is the main reason I get pissed when they make "gun control" and restrictions an issue. This nation and the people need the administration to stay focused.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Agreed, sika. I am really concerned about coming back from this financially for lots of people. And to be candid, I didn't feel the financial pain most people felt last year--I'm very aware of that. I've worked more last year than anytime I can remember (residency excluded). A sad commentary on last year. I'm a physician. I have a friend who is a funeral director. I have another friend who is a gun dealer. We three had good financial years. My buddy who runs a cafe had a rough financial year. To me, that's one measure that sums up what a shit year it was.

And while we're arguing on a separate thread about gun control, I agree with you 100% -- why right now, in the middle of a crisis, does Biden think gun control is so important. Rhetorical. We know the answer.

cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 am Agreed, sika. I am really concerned about coming back from this financially for lots of people. And to be candid, I didn't feel the financial pain most people felt last year--I'm very aware of that. I've worked more last year than anytime I can remember (residency excluded). A sad commentary on last year. I'm a physician. I have a friend who is a funeral director. I have another friend who is a gun dealer. We three had good financial years. My buddy who runs a cafe had a rough financial year. To me, that's one measure that sums up what a shit year it was.

And while we're arguing on a separate thread about gun control, I agree with you 100% -- why right now, in the middle of a crisis, does Biden think gun control is so important. Rhetorical. We know the answer.
Yep.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 am
CDFingers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 am My younger and lovely wife gets her first shot today.

CDFingers
Congrats! Y’all stay safe. Do y’all know which vaccine?
Mine was Moderna, and it was up in Tehama County. My wife gets hers here in Butte County. When I find her brand, I'll post.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Starting Monday, Krispy Kreme is offering customers an extra incentive to get vaccinated — a free Original Glazed doughnut to those who present their vaccine card at any Krispy Kreme store in the U.S.

And it isn’t just a one-time offer — those with vaccine cards can return every single day for free donuts through the end of 2021.

On its website, the company says those who want the free treat must present a Covid-19 vaccination record card indicating that they have received at least one shot of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, or the single shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The company will not honor vaccine stickers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kr ... d-n1261768
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cooper wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:57 am
Stiff wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm Until everybody who wants it gets vaccinated, we would still be suffering involuntary deaths. I agree, that is very unfortunate.

However, when all the willing have been vaccinated and (hopefully) immune, then I’m not too concerned about the anti-vaxxers.
Fair enough. I'm just not going to join in on cheering for / hoping for other people's deaths. At the risk of being a completely sanctimonious shit, I signed too many death certificates last year. Doesn't ask me to mark political affiliation. I walked with these people to the end, and they are all loved and/or missed by someone. Harder to cheer death when it's a face-to-face thing.

I understand we're all just ranting here (probably a careful search of my posts would reveal me ranting shit I didn't mean at an angry moment). I doubt anyone is truly hoping for the Darwinian extinction of a group of people based on their beliefs. We're all just super angry. Let the rants continue, but dehumanizing the "others" is a dangerous place to go.

Well, that was some pretty sanctimonious shit for a Monday morning. Good thing I'm back to work tomorrow--I won't have time to set the world right over a cup (or more) of coffee in the morning.
No problem. Your sanctimony is necessary to remind us that these people are still human.

I’m not cheering death, I’m simply refusing to spend my time worrying or being saddened by people who consciously make decisions that endanger me and mine.

Many of these fine folks mock me and my family for taking Covid seriously. When the pandemic began last year, I still remember my FB ‘friends’ comparing it to H1N1 during Obama. As the number climbed, they kept minimizing and challenging it using various other yardsticks, until it became the number 1 cause of death this year. All the time they claimed baseless conspiracies about number inflation. When my wife got her vaccine, her qonservative colleagues at work mocked her as a guinea pig behind her.

I lost people I personally knew to the pandemic. I place some of the blame on trumpers who fight tooth and nail against a simple fucking mask.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

highdesert wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm Remember: a waist is a terrible thing to mind. Remember drooling Homer.

CDFingers

LOL Saw a headline of a new study that the average weight gain over the pandemic was 2 lbs per month.
Covid-24? I know I immediately put on several. There's only so many places you can hide pints of Ben&Jerrys. Un/fortunately, stress seems to be burning if off pretty quick these days.

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:30 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:30 pm Remember: a waist is a terrible thing to mind. Remember drooling Homer.

CDFingers

LOL Saw a headline of a new study that the average weight gain over the pandemic was 2 lbs per month.
Covid-24? I know I immediately put on several. There's only so many places you can hide pints of Ben&Jerrys. Un/fortunately, stress seems to be burning if off pretty quick these days.
19 lbs here. Spring is beginning bike riding again to get rid of those pudgy pounds.

My wife got her first Moderna shot today real close to home. Butte County has about ten times the population of Tehama County where I got mine. Still, though there were more people, there were more stations. Including waiting to see if she'd fall over, it took us 41 minutes from the time we left home 'till the time the cats met us at the door wanting gushy fuds. Winning. For the cats I mean. Their staff had returned from break.

CDFingers

Stiff wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm No problem. Your sanctimony is necessary to remind us that these people are still human.

I’m not cheering death, I’m simply refusing to spend my time worrying or being saddened by people who consciously make decisions that endanger me and mine.

Many of these fine folks mock me and my family for taking Covid seriously. When the pandemic began last year, I still remember my FB ‘friends’ comparing it to H1N1 during Obama. As the number climbed, they kept minimizing and challenging it using various other yardsticks, until it became the number 1 cause of death this year. All the time they claimed baseless conspiracies about number inflation. When my wife got her vaccine, her qonservative colleagues at work mocked her as a guinea pig behind her.

I lost people I personally knew to the pandemic. I place some of the blame on trumpers who fight tooth and nail against a simple fucking mask.
I don't like what I saw neighbors become this year. I am sorry to know about the ugliness aimed at you and yours. I've been angry a lot this year at stuff like that. Condolences to you, Stiff, on your losses this year.

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:45 am Got my daughter a Pfizer 1.0 yesterday. No issues. My wife gets Moderna 1.0 tomorrow. I was late to the "beggers can't be choosers" line yesterday but learned the clinic often has spare doses so will try again tomorrow.
Show up before closing time. Go talk to the pharmacist. Good luck. Glad two of your crew is getting vaccinated.

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:45 am Got my daughter a Pfizer 1.0 yesterday. No issues. My wife gets Moderna 1.0 tomorrow. I was late to the "beggers can't be choosers" line yesterday but learned the clinic often has spare doses so will try again tomorrow.
Good news! Four more doses to go and that will reduce the stress on your family.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I just got texted with the info from my wife's shot yesterday--lot number, date and locale of next shot, all sorts of proper data to ensure a complete course of treatment. They said there may be a booster in the fall, so to hang on to our cards with the lot number and so on, on it. Neat. Impressive. Rural counties, though, so we don't have major herds of people. Cattle and sheep, yeah. And nuts, lots of nuts. Not many people, which is OK by me in this hella red Congressional district (CA-1).!

on edit, Now that it's March, the herds of waterfowl have headed north, with the last ones flying a day or so ago. Likely Canada geese, but they were pretty high up there. I thought they were Canada geese because of their calls. They go, "Eh! Eh, eh, eh! Eh!"

CDFingers