Re: Coronavirus Prepping

As long as I can get what I need from delivery, I am not going into stores. When this slows down, the uber drivers won't need the delivery jobs as bad.

Local grocery stores had already replaced most cashiers and baggers with machines and self-service.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:49 pm As long as I can get what I need from delivery, I am not going into stores. When this slows down, the uber drivers won't need the delivery jobs as bad.

Local grocery stores had already replaced most cashiers and baggers with machines and self-service.
The only place here with self service check out is Wally World, the other four grocery stores have checkers and those checkers are looking haggard. I do feel guilty using self check out, but especially at this time I don't have to wait in a check out line and I'm in and out in about 15 minutes.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

senorgrand wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 pm Here's an interesting aspect of prepping (or rather living) through a pandemic:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03/co ... uries.html

I'd add to that -- empty your dryer's lint trap and make sure you know where your fire extinguisher is and how to use it.

Stay safe kids!
This is what I recommend to people.

And here’s what I actually do:
149D6C13-9706-4DCF-B073-7D012B98F56E.jpeg
Be safe kids: heres a bounce house. Go crazy

featureless wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:16 pm I plan on what will likely be a last grocery run next weekend. While we could probably go 2 to 3 months without it, I like fresh produce.
Me, too. Eat it while you can get it and afford it. Freeze the rest if you have room.

Worst best case scenario: You have some extra food to eat after the virus is contained. Or, you'll be eating frozen veggies and Mountain House while the rest are clamoring for Soylent Green.

Keep yourself well, strong, and rested. Be like dog, trust in dog, and may dog go with you.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
Jester1408-1-1.jpg
jester_sleeps_2030.jpg

We are down to about 10 days of supplies -- going through things very quickly. Once I can get my hands on yeast and baking powder, I'll be able to make more.

Unfortunately, my back went out just as Instacart went kaput. Trying to get healthy enough to make a store run in the next couple of days.

Can't have the wife go because of her suppressed immune system.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 pm We are down to about 10 days of supplies -- going through things very quickly. Once I can get my hands on yeast and baking powder, I'll be able to make more.

Unfortunately, my back went out just as Instacart went kaput. Trying to get healthy enough to make a store run in the next couple of days.

It will be interesting to see how long the supply chain can keep up. For those of you in mild-hit areas, stock up while you can.

For some reason, the grocery pickup/delivery and others are mostly out of stock, still. I have to check several times a day to find an open time slot and, also, hope something is in stock to get what I want. Still haven't seen cheddar cheese available in quite a while now. Cream cheese and bagels are difficult to find, too. Overpriced organic milk and, sometimes, half-and-half can be found. Meats of all kinds are difficult to find except some ground beef and organic chicken. Canned generic veggies and some frozen veggies are available. Fresh produce is mostly available for now. Prices have risen for everything that is still available.

Most grocery items that are in stock have very few choices available for the past two weeks - except frozen desserts and snack foods (I don't eat that stuff). Let's hope it doesn't keep getting worse.

I am wondering to myself when, at what point, do I start breaking out Mountain House to supplement the food? I started considering that last week and now it is becoming a real possibility.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i have a stash of long-shelf-life food, likely enough for 3 weeks, but meanwhile we're eating fresh and frozen nukeables from the nearby grocery. hoping not to need the stash. i mentioned this earlier wrt paper products: dollar store. not the best, not the best prices, but in a pinch it beats having to eat the pets.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

K9s wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 pm
senorgrand wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 pm We are down to about 10 days of supplies -- going through things very quickly. Once I can get my hands on yeast and baking powder, I'll be able to make more.

It will be interesting to see how long the supply chain can keep up. For those of you in mild-hit areas, stock up while you can.

For some reason, the grocery pickup/delivery and others are mostly out of stock, still. I have to check several times a day to find an open time slot and, also, hope something is in stock to get what I want. Still haven't seen cheddar cheese available in quite a while now. Cream cheese and bagels are difficult to find, too. Overpriced organic milk and, sometimes, half-and-half can be found. Meats of all kinds are difficult to find except some ground beef and organic chicken. Canned generic veggies and some frozen veggies are available. Fresh produce is mostly available for now. Prices have risen for everything that is still available.

Most grocery items that are in stock have very few choices available for the past two weeks - except frozen desserts and snack foods (I don't eat that stuff). Let's hope it doesn't keep getting worse.

I am wondering to myself when, at what point, do I start breaking out Mountain House to supplement the food? I started considering that last week and now it is becoming a real possibility.
My wife found flour on line from some baker's supply--40# of AP in 5# bags. I found a sealed 1# block of yeast on eBay. I was able to grow a really nice and sour sourdough starter without any packaged yeast. So I've made sourdough bread a few times.

We also have lots of frozen chicken, and about a month's worth of freeze dried meals.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It could be awhile for paper products.
As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, households across the country are hunkering down and emptying out store shelves. Toilet paper has a become the ultimate symbol of the panic buying; it's seemingly scooped up as soon as new rolls hit the shelves.
Companies that help supply these everyday paper products are stunned and trying to adjust to this rapidly evolving new normal in consumer behavior.

They're faced with tradeoffs. Many were already operating their manufacturing facilities 24/7 prior to the pandemic. Now, some are limiting their facilities to essential workers and contractors. It's unclear, however, what they will do in the event that those workers get sick. "If you ask me why everyone is grabbing toilet paper, I can't really explain it," said Tom Sellars, CEO of Sellars Absorbent Materials in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His company is a processor and converter of paper and related products. "It's not like we are suddenly using more of it. But the surge in demand could strain the supply chain," he said.

Georgia Pacific, the maker of Angel Soft and Quilted Northern toilet paper, said that last week, some orders from retailers nearly doubled. The company managed to ship out 20% more than its normal capacity. And the American Forest & Paper Association, an industry group representing paper product makers, noted the industry is working hard to respond to the sudden spike in demand. "Rest assured, tissue products continue to be produced and shipped — just as they are 52 weeks each year as part of a global market," AF&PA's CEO Heidi Brock said in a statement. But that doesn't mean it will be easy work for the factories.
Toilet paper is made from one of two sources — virgin pulp from trees or recycled pulp obtained from materials like discarded copy paper that's reprocessed and then turned into pulp. Virgin pulp comes from Canada and the United States. The pulp (virgin or recycled) is delivered to paper mills that turn it into large rolls of paper called "parent rolls" that are over 100 inches wide. The rolls then arrive at paper-coverting facilities, like the one run by Sellars.

"We purchase large rolls from mills and our equipment cuts and packages them into the designated end product like toilet paper or kitchen towels, depending on the quality of the paper," he said. Packaging and shipping are the final steps in the chain. So what happens when there's an unexpected demand spike? "Most mills are 24 hours, 7 days a week operations already. They are running on fixed capacity," said Sellars. "It's not like there's an idle machine that can be cranked up to increase production." Retailers also have a set amount of toilet paper inventory. "What I suspect is happening right now is retailers are tapping into toilet paper inventory that's sitting in their warehouses until they get more shipment from producers," he said. For suppliers, rapidly increasing production may not be feasible. So they might instead recalibrate factory production to make more of one type of product and less of another. "For example, less bathroom paper towels and more toilet paper," said Sellars.

Consumer products company Kimberly-Clark (KMB), whose retail toilet paper brands include Scott and Cottonelle, said it is taking steps to accelerate production and reallocating inventory to meet current demand. "We want to assure consumers that we are doing our best to ensure a steady supply of product to stores, and will continue to make adjustments to our plans as necessary," the company said in a statement to CNN Business. Another way suppliers are responding to the toilet paper craze: Some are cutting out distribution centers, sending trucks directly to and from paper factories to get product onto shelves more quickly, said Scott Luton, founder and CEO of Supply Chain Now Radio, a digital media company focused on supply chain management.
"Our supply is tight at the moment. We have over 200 employees running a 24/7 operation. So it's not a question of more staffing to increase production but how to become even more efficient," said Tak. His bigger concern, however, is about the health of his employees. "What we are dealing with here is uncharted," said Tak, referring to the fast-spreading pandemic. "What if facilities have to shut down if workers become sick?"

That's also a pressing concern for Rob Baron, CEO of Marcal Paper. The Elmwood Park, New Jersey company produces and markets its branded paper products, including Marcal toilet paper to both residential and commercial customers. The company just resumed operations in January, a year after a fire destroyed its 80-year-old manufacturing facility. "Our first step, before we even look at the demand spike, was to think about how to keep our people safe," said Baron. "No visitors, no customers, no suppliers to the facility."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/business ... gfooterold
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:35 am Our dog loves bbq night! I always make sure something falls off the grill to reward her faith.
My dog learns so quickly. Didn't take more than a couple of days when I started a low cholesterol diet that she figured out when I took a meat package out of the freezer, there'd be trim in her bowl after I rinsed the package to throw away. She comes running even when I am rinsing out the 90% lean ground packages and looks at me like, "Where's mine?" when there isn't trim.