Re: Zombie round: .45acp vs .357mag

The metaphysical theory behind staking a vampire is that it 'grounds' the undead, returning the negative life-force to the Earth. Depending on the motivating force behind the zombie, the same principle should apply - plague zombies, not so much. Running water has a similar effect - Dracula couldn't cross it, and had to have himself shipped freight (although he could come out at night to feed). Even bridges were a problem.

Fun fact: I just caught and released a bat while composing this. It was roosting directly above me.

Silver grounds and purifies, so depending on your mythology it can be pretty multipurpose. Stoker was pretty stoked about using communion wafers, so I would imagine communion wine would be just as good as holy water.

I'll take a crossbow against a zombie. Pop culture tells me the headshot is just as effective, quieter, and potentially re-usable - but I'd be leery of contagion, all things considered. I'm a better shot with one, but I'd still prefer the machete.

It would depend on the type of Zombie, I think.

A really good machete or sword would decapitate, and decapitation immobilizes the body, but the brain and mouth are still alive...
If it's a transmissible virus-type zombie, I'd want to avoid splatter.
I think the risk of contamination with cutlery is too great for all but emergencies.

Since the Zombie brain needs real damage to kill it, I'd think anything less than 9mm would be worthless for all but
a coup de grace.
I'd want more stand-off range, so I think I'd want a suppressed SBR/carbine (ITSHTF, no ATFE), 9mm or better so I can hit them at some range.

A suppressed .38/.357 M92?
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

wings wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 pm The metaphysical theory behind staking a vampire is that it 'grounds' the undead, returning the negative life-force to the Earth.
That's the Buffy theory.
Historical data (yes people believed that vampires were real and acted accordingly) tells us that the bodies of people believed to be vampires were staked face down in their graves by an iron stake after their head had been severed and placed at their feet. Ostensibly to confuse the creature should it continue to animate.
But anyone who has seen a Christopher Lee Dracula flick (my personal favs) knows you don't pull the stake out, ever, because the staking just causes the blood sucker to go into a torpor from which it can awake. :yahoo:

But as to the OP, I'd go with .357 because I have several hundred rounds of it, or .223 I don't own anything that eats 45acp unfortunately :sad:
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:24 am
wings wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:59 pm The metaphysical theory behind staking a vampire is that it 'grounds' the undead, returning the negative life-force to the Earth.
That's the Buffy theory.
Historical data (yes people believed that vampires were real and acted accordingly) tells us that the bodies of people believed to be vampires were staked face down in their graves by an iron stake after their head had been severed and placed at their feet. Ostensibly to confuse the creature should it continue to animate.
But anyone who has seen a Christopher Lee Dracula flick (my personal favs) knows you don't pull the stake out, ever, because the staking just causes the blood sucker to go into a torpor from which it can awake. :yahoo:

But as to the OP, I'd go with .357 because I have several hundred rounds of it, or .223 I don't own anything that eats 45acp unfortunately :sad:
Buffy was only a recent articulation of mythology that goes back at least to Stoker. The unstaking thing was him too. There are multiple burials in Poland where the body was held in place by an iron sickle across the throat, so that it would decapitate itself if it arose as a vampire.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180966970/
For those who prefer their archaeology through primary sources:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals ... ore-reader

For defensive measures either caliber should be sufficient, along with many other calibers. There is only one degree of dead.

I am not a fan of selecting a defensive firearm based on magazine capacity. If you need 15 or more rounds to get someone off of you, you may be in trouble. I am perfectly happy with 8 rounds of .45 ACP in a compact 1911, but some folks consider that I am badly under-armed. I have gone nearly 70 years without needing a single round to protect myself, and with a little luck that will hold.

Some people try to prepare a defense for every possible scenario, but it is like Von Clausewitz told us, he who defends everything, defends nothing. Prepare for the situation you feel you may have to face, and practice, practice, practice.