Mutual Assistance Groups

Has anyone considered starting state by state mutual assistance groups based on LGC membership? I know that in some places this is less tenable, like we are pretty spread out in WA but I am sure some of you fine folks live near enough to each other to make it a good idea.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Re: Mutual Assistance Groups

There is a lot of material out there on forming a MAG but the most basic process is essentially an emergency phone tree, an agreement to participate and work together. Assess the needs and skills of the group, work together to fill the gaps. Ideally the group lives close enough to meet regularly. I have seen a lot of answers on various threads where people are saying they plan to fort up in their homes, keep their heads down and ride out what ever the situation is. That's great, until the option is forcibly removed either by circumstance, a tornado or fire destroys your home, or by the hand of man, a rampaging group of extremists decides you are undesirable for some reason. You have to be really honest with yourself when it comes to assessing your abilities and stop yourself from thinking, "oh that could never happen here."
Now I know that some people may respond to this thread with a list of how billy bad ass they are and how they will persevere through any hardship. That's great, more power to you. I know that I am an extremely well rounded person (hey no fat jokes) and despite that I know that if I had to do without basic infrastructure for more than a week my wife and would be in deep shit so I look for people to add to our circle to everyone's mutual benefit.
This forum is a good networking resource, I don't think LGC members need to have a formal LGC sponsored motive in order to meet and work together, just the desire to do so. Or are you telling me that if it isn't formally LGC related that it shouldn't be discussed in this forum?

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 am Has anyone considered starting state by state mutual assistance groups based on LGC membership? I know that in some places this is less tenable, like we are pretty spread out in WA but I am sure some of you fine folks live near enough to each other to make it a good idea.
Oregon had a a couple of Prepping classes that went over pretty well, but we stopped doing them because one new member said he was “concerned” about all the Prepper Talk. We had discussed forming an Oregon MAG, but we didn’t want to turn off members that weren’t into the prepping thing or may even think it’s kind of stupid. We are trying to appeal to mainstream liberals, and mainstream liberals tend to think that prepping is for losers. It’s a nice idea, but in the end we are a GUN club, not a PREPPER club. If you go ahead with the MAG idea you’ll have to deal with some resistance to it.

Inquisitor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:41 pm How would that work? Other than the formal chapter?
If National gives approval for Chapters to form Mutual Assistance Groups, Oregon could start one up immediately. We have a sizable core group of people who are already into it. Forming separate FB groups just for the MAGs would be best in order to not turn off LGC members who don’t like prepper talk, but not sure if National wants more FB groups to monitor.

Secret Facebook groups like: LGC Oregon MAG, LGC Texas MAG, etc ...?

It's the sort of thought process that makes me want to look into ham radio certs. It's hard for me to conceive of the infrastructure falling down so far that ham radio from group to group state to state would be necessary, but yanno fail to plan, plan to fail.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm It's the sort of thought process that makes me want to look into ham radio certs. It's hard for me to conceive of the infrastructure falling down so far that ham radio from group to group state to state would be necessary, but yanno fail to plan, plan to fail.
Ham radio is integral to any survival plan. I’ve had my license for years and have lots of radios and good antennas. Most of them were acquired with an eye to being easily repairable by me.

senorgrand wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:43 pm isn't this how WWI started? ;)
Don't worry. We just won't let the Serbians into our group. :D

Speaking of which, today, Veterans Day, was originally called Armistice Day and commemorates the end of WWI.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm It's the sort of thought process that makes me want to look into ham radio certs. It's hard for me to conceive of the infrastructure falling down so far that ham radio from group to group state to state would be necessary, but yanno fail to plan, plan to fail.

Funny, since I was sitting here reprogramming our Baofengs ... :lol:

JohnNewell wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Funny, since I was sitting here reprogramming our Baofengs ... :lol:
:laugh:
Upgrade to Kenwood or Yaesu and never worry about Baofengs again.

First of all, if you are interested in prepping, may I suggest https://www.facebook.com/groups/preppingforliberals/

For several years I was a moderator on the Kentucky Preppers Network forum. At one time we were one of the premier prepping forums in the US, and had numerous national level preppers that said so. We had 2 campouts a year where we would have classes and demonstrations of skills. A nurse taught how to stitch wounds, someone taught how to make trip line alarms, I led a group discussion on the roles of women in prepping. We had a contest at one campout where participants were given a scenario to deal with. But you could only deal with it by using your bug out bag. The winner got a large can of freeze dried veggies. We divided the state into districts and had a discussion group in each district where people could meet face to face to discuss prepping. (usually at a Dairy Queen, Dunkin Doughnuts)

Usually, when someone joined the forum, one of the first things they asked was, "How do I start/join a prepper group?" I was one of them. A number of members throughout the state actually formed prepper groups. Almost all of them failed miserably! In some of them, legal action was required. People didn't hold up their end of the bargain, or they stole from the group, or just proved to be creepy or untrustworthy.

But the big disaster for the Network came from the discussion groups. Now, on the forum, at campouts and discussion groups we used forum handles like we do in this group. All for operational security. At my discussion group, I didn't share my name with anyone till we had met together for over a year. Then something happened. There was one fellow who frequented several of the discussion groups, sometimes attending groups as much as 3 hours away. He was caught recording license plate numbers of attendees. He had a cop friend that was looking up peoples' addresses for him. He had no preps, no food, no supplies. His survival plan was to raid everyone else's preps by killing them and stealing their preps.

Within a month, the Kentucky Prepper Network forum was dead. No one posted anymore. No one shared anything. It is now just a library. There is some great info there.

Soooo..... if you want to start a MAG, go for it, but please be very careful. Not everyone will be what you want them to be. And yes, I would like to be in a MAG.

Sorry this got long winded. I welcome questions.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle