Re: Secret Life of a Leftist Doomsday Prepper

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 pm
K9s wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 pm Our so called civilization is a fragile thing. We’re expecting a snowstorm in Portland and all the stores were packed with last minute stocker-uppers. Some people admit to having basically no food in the house because they eat out all the time. The entire city is going to basically shut down. If as minor a thing as a snowstorm can cause such problems, then imagine...
Before any emergency is even on the horizon, make sure you have SOME food and water. Don't let you gas tank go below 1/4. That will take you a long way ahead of the game.

Be prepared to help your neighbors, too.
That’s why I have extra. All I did today was fill up the one empty gas can for the generator and top up the car.
Otherwise everything was already good to go. I may be deployed by NET/CERT. Somebody has to be the adult ;)
Training for NET or CERT is, I assume, similar to FEMA. Make sure YOUR home is prepared first - before you go out to help others.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

shinzen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm And to be clear, mines dual fuel as well, but I'd rather store propane than gas

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good planning! Just be aware that propane bottles can have their valves stick (there's a trick to fixing that), and the hoses can be subject to deterioration. Plus, the engine running on propane delivers less power and therefore your max wattage is less (if it was made as a dual fuel it should tell you in the specs).

OTOH, my converted gen usually starts first pull every time when running on propane, is quieter, and the fumes aren't 1/10th as noxious. You still need good air flow and ventilation, but nothing like gasoline.

Some of the conversion kits allow tri-fuel, so you can run on natural gas as well, if you have the required plumbing. NG delivery tends to be far more robust than electricity, and during most emergencies keeps flowing (earthquakes are a problem and I have no clue about floods' effect). During the FrankenBlizzard and Super Storm Sandy, we never lost NG.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

hi everyone. I'm new here (Glad to have found the LGC). I'm 37 and have three boys (10,10, 8). Any prepping that I'm doing is more for them than for me. There are two things that i think will make times hard in the next few decades and they're probably not a surprise to anyone here--climate change and AI expansion. I think both are going to strain the economy and the food/water supply. My prep plan looks similar to how people survived the Great Depression: ability to produce some food on site, learn how to do things for myself that I might pay someone else to do, home and property security, home upgrades with the possibility that my house/property may have to house multiple generations at some point in the future.

jeddyrocks wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:04 pm hi everyone. I'm new here (Glad to have found the LGC). I'm 37 and have three boys (10,10, 8). Any prepping that I'm doing is more for them than for me. There are two things that i think will make times hard in the next few decades and they're probably not a surprise to anyone here--climate change and AI expansion. I think both are going to strain the economy and the food/water supply. My prep plan looks similar to how people survived the Great Depression: ability to produce some food on site, learn how to do things for myself that I might pay someone else to do, home and property security, home upgrades with the possibility that my house/property may have to house multiple generations at some point in the future.
Welcome! Sounds like a better plan than 99% of Americans have.

Why not go to the New Member thread and introduce yourself? The first thing you will be asked is, "What do you shoot?"
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am
shinzen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm And to be clear, mines dual fuel as well, but I'd rather store propane than gas

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good planning! Just be aware that propane bottles can have their valves stick (there's a trick to fixing that), and the hoses can be subject to deterioration. Plus, the engine running on propane delivers less power and therefore your max wattage is less (if it was made as a dual fuel it should tell you in the specs).

OTOH, my converted gen usually starts first pull every time when running on propane, is quieter, and the fumes aren't 1/10th as noxious. You still need good air flow and ventilation, but nothing like gasoline.

Some of the conversion kits allow tri-fuel, so you can run on natural gas as well, if you have the required plumbing. NG delivery tends to be far more robust than electricity, and during most emergencies keeps flowing (earthquakes are a problem and I have no clue about floods' effect). During the FrankenBlizzard and Super Storm Sandy, we never lost NG.
Yeah, there are some down sides for sure to propane, but if all else is buggered, I can still put gas in it. Mines the same on propane- quieter, cleaner. NG in an earthquake is hit or miss. With the big one that hit our town a few years ago, water and NG were both out in parts of the city. We didn't live here at the time, but our neighbor came over to the old owners house to get water for drinking and to flush her toilets as it was down for several days.

The generator already paid for itself during the wildfires- was able to keep the fridge and freezer running so we didn't lose as much food as many others did. But yeah, during that they did not shutoff NG. I still need to get around to installing a switch on the panel, and I'd prefer to get a solarwall installed, but compared to the cost of the generator.......
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Here in north-central NJ, earthquakes don't generally figure into into our disaster planning, although major league flooding is quite common (we live on a hill for just that reason), so we've yet to see NG delivery interrupted. During the FrankenBlizzard we loaded frozen food in Styrofoam coolers packed with snow, duct-taped them shut and buried them in snow! (Our big generator died and we just had a 2k Honda. During Sandy, the next year, we had a new generator and could keep the fridges and heat running with a plethora of heavy drop-cords (power-tool junkies always have them around)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Many people are preppers without being aware of it, whole prepping thing got new dimension post Katrina NOLA when a lot of folks realized cops are just an employees of the their agencies and failure to show up for work is not punishable in any way beside being fired. Military does not show up next day and everything is great. While there is plenty of self-proclaimed "preppers" who stockpile guns and ammo majority does store food as they realized amateurs talking guns, professionals talk logistic.

Being prepped is cultural and geographical thing also it is based on previous life experiences, for me it was natural as my parents lived through WWII and five year goal planed Communism so in our house piles of food, hundreds of pounds(kg) of flour, beans, rice, sugar, gallons of oil etc. were normal thing.
Then I got to live through the war and I remember neighbor who always considered my parents to be paranoid people freaking out when she realized that in the moment when war started and shops turned literally overnight empty as store workers decided to help themselves to everything in the stores that she only has few tuna cans for tuna salad, a bottle of oil and 4 pounds of flour.

As I live in rural area having a generator is must , having fuel for it and minimum of half a tank of the fuel in every vehicle at all time, also beside oil furnace, pellet stove I have a gas fireplace with continuous pilot, last big snowstorm showed how important is to be prepared, having a food in the house and not having a need to go and buy it in the weather as it was, having ability to have water pump working and heat from the gas fireplace made everything much easier.
As far as shower I have to get stronger generator to have my water heater hooked up as my wife and I ended taking showers at our places of work.

I have friends who are from or still live in the big cities and their fridges are used to cool beer and few vegies and some milk. Not realizing that whole store system is based on 3 day supply and resupply.

As far as guns it is a hobby but I do not plan to wage a war all I have to do is to be able to protect my family ( they are all versed in use of guns and have some tactic knowledge) and my self in the case of some evil person decide to harm us during so called "god forbid event" Also all different healthcare skills in my household are extra advantage.

Somebody mentioned Great Depression and food production, while it is true important fact is that back then food production skills were common for majority of population today not so much, also wildlife ( game)was almost hunted out to the point of extinction .

When a snowstorm can bring everything to grinding halt and when a hurricane strength storm can displace whole city and destroy half of the state what would be result of some massive event like power grid out of the function for prolonged time like Northeastern blackout of 2003?