home canning

Thats as close as I come to prepping. I had a poor year with my garden but did manage to put up 15 pints of very thick tomato sauce plus 15 qts of puree. This rather cheap implement that I bought at a Fleet & Farm store worked out great. Seeds and skins poop out the end and the juice and pulp comes out the side.
Attachments
DSC00585.JPG
DSC00586.JPG

Re: home canning

Looking good, eelj.

Mrs. Mason made some outrageously good blueberry-lime jam from this summer's five or so gallon blueberry harvest. Unfortunately, she has little energy for such things recently due to caring for her mother.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

My wife and I have done a lot of canning for years. Tomatos would need to be scalded then shocked in cold water and peeled. The mill that I used and I can't even remember the name but is very likely sold at most hardware or fleet stores was relatively cheap and only requires the fruit to be washed. My first thought when looking at it was my Kitchen aid stand mixer. I researched and they have one similar but it doesn't seperate the seed and skin from the pulp. Plus it costs 100 bucks. This was much cheaper and it might not last that long but can be cheaply replaced. We eat a lot of Italian food and since we started gardening again have not bought a single can. We grew plum and heritage taste great and most filling.

Looks like quite the gadget, anything that makes the job easier. I remember when I lived in MT, during canning season women would often come to work with their palms colored from whatever they were canning.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nice. I have the same implement, unfortunately I didn't plant enough tomatoes this year to wind up canning any of them or to make any sauce..... Need to expand the garden next year.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou