Re: Trump considering National Guard round up of illegals.

What could possibly go wrong? Think Kent State. House to house searches without warrants? Latino or dark skinned citizens held under guns? Maybe build some detention centers out in the prairie states? Trump reminds me of a goldfish with a three second attention span. Runs in circles and is surprised every time he runs into the Constitution. Of course, we could distract him by encouraging the NFL players to hold up multisyllabic banners-long words, legal terminology, taken from the BOR- every game.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Old thread, the original link is dead. The New Republic thought it was a trial balloon, all administrations use that technique.
What is going on here? It’s possible that this proposal was a trial balloon to test public opinion (reminiscent of a draft executive order rescinding certain LGBT rights in the workplace, which was never signed). It’s also possible that a government staffer leaked this alarming memo to the press to head off the White House, whose supposedly saner cabinet officials, like Kelly, billed themselves as moderating influences on the president. Or, as is always the case with this administration, this draft memo could just be the result of pure incompetence and stupidity.
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140726/ ... al-balloon
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote:I didn't think the president had power over the National Guard. Aren't they state commanded? Thinking back, maybe I'm wrong since they were deployed to the Middle East. Anybody care to enlighten me?
Right up until they are federalized. Most of their equipment is federal. Think of them as a ready reserve that the states can use in emergencies.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan