Re: Attention Amatuer Radio operators

ezmac028 wrote:I've done some intro classes via the SFFD's CERT program (called NERT here in SF) and have a Wouxun KG-UV6D handheld 2 meter. I keep meaning to go to a HAM cram session and get my Tech license, but they schedule them for the worst days possible. Hopefully I can make the upcoming March or April dates.
Long time ham here. I just found this and it looks like a pretty good collection of on-line study materials: http://www.ky4ky.com/vetesting_materials.htm or you could go to the ARRL http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license which is sort of the NRA for amateur radio without the right wing politics and paronoia. If you feel like you got enough out of your intro classes and want to try some practice exams: http://www.eham.net/exams/ You may be able to find an exam at a more favorable time here: http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-rad ... am-session

Good luck and give me a shout if you have any questions :beer2:
Member, LGC

Re: Attention Amateur Radio operators

GuitarsandGuns wrote:I became a ham and then stopped listening because of the Misogyny on the 40 meter band.

I can still do code though.

Have 2 HF portable and 2 HF Mobiles.
Yes, unfortunately we have an excess of bigoted, sexist old white guys (not unique to ham radio by any means and I think there are parallels to firearms culture) who tend to congregate on a few frequencies and spew it out for the world to hear. 75 meters is on the whole worse. But there are lots of nice folks as well. The asshats tend to be lazy and don't do much besides sitting around displaying their ignorance and making a bad name for the rest of us. People into emergency management, cw, data modes, low power operation, satellites, etc. are much more likely to be interesting and to have something to share.
Member, LGC

Inquisitor wrote:That's kinda why I wanted to do something formal, something that starts to balance out the wingnuts ;)
You can count me in on this.

Back in the mid '80s I was trying to keep a packet relay beacon up on 220 in the phoenix area. There was a lot of activity on 2m, and some on 440, but nothing on 220.

And many older guys who thought packet was something sugar came in at fast food restaurants.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 meters is a local band except under unusual circumstances and even then would require power and a beam antenna to work long distances. When you get your Tech, you will also have access to the 10 meter band. With a 10 meter radio and a simple dipole antenna you can work the world when conditions are right. 10 is a fun band and I once worked a guy in Alaska from here with 5 watts to a dipole in my attic. For reliable long distance work you will want a General license that will let you get on 20 and 40 meters. One you get the Tech down the General won't be too tough.

73, (ham speak for regards and see ya!)
Member, LGC

Inquisitor wrote:
Woodsman wrote:I'm with ya Inquisitor. I put my info in your form a couple of weeks back :thumbup:
Yup. You were the only one ;)

I filled it out, or thought I did, although after the bump. Maybe I screwed it up.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Inquisitor wrote:Will double check.

Anywho, if we get 5, I will start an ARRL affiliate.
I never joined the ARRL. I was a member of TAPR for a long time, but haven't really been active for several years.

My issue with the ARRL was their undying support for the code requirement. I know the 5WPM was required by treaty for HF, and we had that. But hanging on to the rest of the code requirements designed for international shipping safety in the 1930s, but destroying recruitment of young technology driven geeks in the 1980s, was just plain stupid.

"Where else can they chat with people halfway around the world?" they ask. "Um, on Usenet," we chortled.

Took them over a decade to come around.

But, I can join at the drop of a hat.

KA7ZNZ

Woodsman wrote:Sounds like when ErikO and ezmac get licensed we'll have it. And maybe we can work on GuitarsandGuns :)
There are 2 ham's in this house.
There are enough. What is you need? Arrl membership? I guess we can sign up again.
We both did the google docs thing
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

mrb7 wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:Will double check.

Anywho, if we get 5, I will start an ARRL affiliate.
I never joined the ARRL. I was a member of TAPR for a long time, but haven't really been active for several years.

My issue with the ARRL was their undying support for the code requirement. I know the 5WPM was required by treaty for HF, and we had that. But hanging on to the rest of the code requirements designed for international shipping safety in the 1930s, but destroying recruitment of young technology driven geeks in the 1980s, was just plain stupid.

"Where else can they chat with people halfway around the world?" they ask. "Um, on Usenet," we chortled.

Took them over a decade to come around.

But, I can join at the drop of a hat.

KA7ZNZ

:sarcasm: So you can't hack the code eh? I took the first code test at 20WPM and passed the first go.

From the base of a tree with NO cell service, using CW to Austrailia. Usenet? Really? Useless is more like it. :roflmao:

Join The LGC

Thread Killer

I will admit that my code is rustier than a revolver left out in the rain for a week, but I did pass 13 wpm once. I hold a grandfathered Advanced and I've had no-code Extras tell me how I need to upgrade. Having no immediate need for the Extra freqs I figure the Advanced gives me some provenance as an OT (OF?) and establishes that I DID pass a code test. So there you have it, I'm a cw snob who is lousy at cw ;)

Seriously though, I agree with mrb7 that the code did keep a lot of people out and it was well past time when the requirement was dropped. Nothing stops people from learning it and using it and contrary to the predictions of some OFs :o the sky did not fall.

I like that SGC, GuitarandGuns. I have in old friend up in NJ who owns one and is setting up to play around with solar/batt power with it. He tells me the rx/standby current draw is about a quarter of an Icom 706.
Member, LGC

GuitarsandGuns wrote:I was just being wiseass.
Yeah I got it ;)

I've heard over the years that many musicians have an easier time with CW, presumably since cw and music use the same part of the brain. This could be, but my wife is a cellist and her experience when she passed her Tech plus was :wall: Curious about your learning experience. Did you feel your music background was a plus?
Member, LGC

Woodsman wrote:
GuitarsandGuns wrote:I was just being wiseass.
Yeah I got it ;)

I've heard over the years that many musicians have an easier time with CW, presumably since cw and music use the same part of the brain. Did you feel your music background was a plus?
I apologize for being misleading about my code test. In 1965 i spent many months to become a Radiotelegraph operator when I was in the service. I graduated at the top of my class even though I missed a week for brig time.. So i have an extra couple of thousands of hours of code with a Cpl.over my shoulder doing 5 letter/number code groups. Thank you taxpayers!

My dad played wiith Benny Goodman in the '40's.
I grew up with jazz. Morse code is rhythym. It works best when the sound makes the hand move.

In 1970 I played morse code on high c on the guitar during the fade out in a pop tune "Christ only knows"

So the code came first, then music, but i could sing jazz.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer