Re: My Covid Buddy

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And condolences to you jc57. It's been a tough couple days. I'm such a crybaby I could hardly speak.
Our Veterinarian is doing an autopsy for free to see what actually caused his sudden death considering he was just diagnosed with Valley fever and the bone cancer diagnose was not positively identified yet.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Damn. Cancer sucks.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Just discovered this thread. So sorry for your loss, TG and JC5. Serious dog-lover here.

Don't worry about being a crybaby. The years go by, and it still hurts just as bad, but my theory is, you just learn to laugh at the same time you cry, because the good memories come back.

I still miss our first terrier, my wife's dog, who was crazy as hell and prone to mischief that sometimes ended in violence -- a "good-bad" dog, like you were saying.
Last edited by SunRiseWest on Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 am Thanks everyone for the kind words. And condolences to you jc57. It's been a tough couple days. I'm such a crybaby I could hardly speak.
I'm with you there. Knew it was coming for a while but still really hard. I am ok for a while then it just hits me again and I have to cry. Grieving is a process that you have to go through, but knowing that does not make it any easier to go through it.

Sorry for your pain. Nothing I can do or say will lessen it, but you are not alone, and what you are feeling is real and valid.

jc57 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:10 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 am Thanks everyone for the kind words. And condolences to you jc57. It's been a tough couple days. I'm such a crybaby I could hardly speak.
I'm with you there. Knew it was coming for a while but still really hard. I am ok for a while then it just hits me again and I have to cry. Grieving is a process that you have to go through, but knowing that does not make it any easier to go through it.

Sorry for your pain. Nothing I can do or say will lessen it, but you are not alone, and what you are feeling is real and valid.
Yeah jc57, it's almost a little easier if it's expected but unexpected is crushing. I've had to put down several dogs and I don't think I can do it again. Eevn though Valley fever is a death sentence in itself we've had dogs live for years after the diagnosis.
Even though the vet did the autopsy for free the tests/labs or what have you will cost a grand. We're determined to find out the cause.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

My buddy came home today from the mortuary. All wrapped up in a little wooden box. :-(
That was tough picking up the big boy. All the people at the veterinarian signed a card. They all liked Clifford because he was so calm.
Trying to decide what picture to put on his urn. sigh
Maybe this one. He looks like he's living the life hanging out with the girls in the pool. His favorite thing to do is fetch his Kongs from the pool.
Attachments
clifford 3.jpeg

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:35 pm My buddy came home today from the mortuary. All wrapped up in a little wooden box. :-(
That was tough picking up the big boy. All the people at the veterinarian signed a card. They all liked Clifford because he was so calm.
Maybe this one. He looks like he's living the life hanging out with the girls in the pool. His favorite thing to do is fetch his Kongs from the pool.
That's a great picture! I'm sorry, TG, Clifford was a well-loved dog. As my Veterinarian would say, "He hit the doggie lottery to live with you!"

And you with him.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:30 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:35 pm My buddy came home today from the mortuary. All wrapped up in a little wooden box. :-(
That's a great picture! I'm sorry, TG, Clifford was a well-loved dog. As my Veterinarian would say, "He hit the doggie lottery to live with you!"

And you with him.
Thanks BearPaws. Yes he did hit the lottery I guess. Spoiled that boy endlessly with toys. He could smell the toys in the Chewy.ccom box when they came. Every box got the sniff test. lol
We also hit the lottery with him. Perfectly trained in manners and potty trained, could leave him alone all day in the house and he never touched anything he wasn't supposed to. Even bags of treats that were laying around. He was a good traveler too. Took him to many vacations.
Considering he was over six ft tall on his hind legs pretty much anything was accessible to him.
I still miss him waiting at the door for me when I come home. Or making him a peanut butter biscuit.

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:13 am
BearPaws wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:30 pm

And you with him.
Thanks BearPaws. Yes he did hit the lottery I guess. Spoiled that boy endlessly with toys. He could smell the toys in the Chewy.ccom box when they came. Every box got the sniff test. lol
We also hit the lottery with him. Perfectly trained in manners and potty trained, could leave him alone all day in the house and he never touched anything he wasn't supposed to. Even bags of treats that were laying around. He was a good traveler too. Took him to many vacations.
Considering he was over six ft tall on his hind legs pretty much anything was accessible to him.
I still miss him waiting at the door for me when I come home. Or making him a peanut butter biscuit.
A new dog on the horizon ? Someone new to train and enjoy, not to forget your COVID Buddy though.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:08 pm Mayhaps a donkey. I've always wanted a donkey to pal around with when hiking
Have you seen the movie The Banshees of Inisherin? Jenny the miniature donkey is just adorable!
It's an excellent movie. ON HBOMAX
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+ban ... s-wiz-serp

Kids and animals are always scene stealers. Haven't seen "Banshees of Inisherin" yet, I saw it was out I'll try to watch it soon. I know it was filmed off the coast of County Galway where my mother's family is from.

McDonagh has a brother John Michael McDonagh who is also a writer and director. I don't care for all his films but his first one "The Guard" is hilarious and stars Brendan Gleason. It was also filmed in County Galway, Ireland. It came out in 2011. You might want to turn on the subtitles, some of the Irish brogues are thick.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Losing pets is never easy, especially when they haven't reached their time. It's hard to lose a 14 year old dog, but it was harder to lose her buddy, who was 2 years younger than her, when he was 7.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Got the autopsy report back. Clifford died from ingesting rat poison. Clifford never ate a dead animal. There were no bones or pieces of bone residue in his poop.
That means he ate some bait. He was never let out of our yard without us.
I don't know any neighbors that use rat poison and we live on an acre with neighboring houses a good couple hundred feet away but I'm gonna find out.
We do have one neighbor that we've had problems with. I'm kinda pissed off now.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:35 pm Got the autopsy report back. Clifford died from ingesting rat poison. Clifford never ate a dead animal. There were no bones or pieces of bone residue in his poop.
That means he ate some bait. He was never let out of our yard without us.
I don't know any neighbors that use rat poison and we live on an acre with neighboring houses a good couple hundred feet away but I'm gonna find out.
We do have one neighbor that we've had problems with. I'm kinda pissed off now.
That's terrible. Be smart about it. If you find evidence, engage law enforcement.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:35 pm We do have one neighbor that we've had problems with. I'm kinda pissed off now.
I would be as well. Come after my dogs, I'm going to assume you mean to target me next, and I'll act accordingly.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Thanks everyone. I think the vet waited until after the holidays to call which was nice. I have all the details of the autopsy/tests run on various organs. I had a good idea it was poison since the initial autopsy at the clinic showed a large amount of internal bleeding. Clifford didn't have a chance. It's a fucked up way to die. I hate poison and people that use it.

So yeah we are not going to be broadcasting it until I can investigate further and talk to a couple close/friendly neighbors to try and find out who might be using rat poison. I fear it's going to be hard to pin it on someone as an intentional act. My exterior cameras didn't pick up anyone outside near the house but then I don't have full coverage.
I'll have to see if there's any traps next to my property. One friend said packrats can and do move bait to their nest and can drop it on the way. I dunno, seems sketch.
I wouldn't put it past the asshole neighbor to do something like this. But I will not seek illegal retribution if I can prove they did it.

As I mentioned. This poison can take at least four days to kill a dog and I checked all his poop for signs of animal bones and fur. So he didn't eat a dead animal.

One thing I need find out was exactly how much poison it takes to kill a 125lb dog. Seems like it would take more than a dose to kill a rat.
Anyone know?

FWIW our vet last night confirmed this could not be an accidental poisoning. Also diagonostic tests at UC Davis confirmed > Antiocoagulant screen consistent with Chlorophacinone exposure - based on necropsy results, antocoagulant toxicosis cause of death.
Pet Poison Helpline determined it would take 112 grams or 4 oz of Chlorophacinone to kill a 125lb dog.
This was fucking murder.
Please don't use poison to control rodents. Just a little can kill a small pet but it takes a shit load to kill a 125lb dog.
Attachments
clifford 5.jpeg

TG, I feel terrible for you. On top of losing your buddy--a punch in the gut, to be sure--you learn that he almost certainly was poisoned with intent by someone. That's a real kick in the teeth.

Just.
Effing.
Awful.