New member in MA

Hi,

My wife and I just signed up to TLGC. We're located north of Boston and are in the process of applying for our license to carry. Are there any members in MA who wouldn't mind taking a little time to discuss the process and how to think about some of the questions?

Thanks,
Andrew Sutherland

Re: New member in MA

Hi from NJ. You may not yet know the answers to Lurker's questions, but they are reasonable ones.

I would suggest you and your wife go to a local range and rent a variety of handguns and try them. Semi-Autos can be in multiple calibers, but 9mm and .40 are probably the most common. For revolvers ("wheel guns") .357 Magnum and .38 Special are most common. Try both and see.

I believe there are .45 calibers that may be useable in both Semis and Revolvers, but I've personally never been interested in the various forms of .45. And I'm not sure they make a good choice for concealed carry.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

o/

We have MA ad MA adjacent members who can provide more detailed answers to your questions. My understanding is that the state is one of the stricter ones for regulation, but not as bad as - to pick one off the top of my head - NJ. Sorry, YT. :)

There are some CC options in .45 - unlike YT, I shoot both ACP and Colt, out of a revolver. My other caliber is .22LR, and that's fun too. I chose them because they were what I was good with and what I liked shooting best. There are a lot of different opinions about ideal guns and calibers, but one of the fun things about the forum is diving into everyone else's experience. I tend towards the thought that it doesn't matter - they're all lethal - but the odds of ever having to use firearms defensively are incredibly slim. So shoot what you enjoy shooting. Practice - it's easier if you enjoy it. And get good. Because if you are good at it, it doesn't matter what you shoot.

If you can find a way to try before you buy, great. If not, 9mm is fine. There are reasons it's stupidly popular. I don't particularly enjoy shooting it, but it's cheap and effective and easy to find. More than can be said for revolver calibers these days. If you only ever buy one gun, and you don't hunt, it's a great choice.

There are some good reasons for getting a concealed carry license that don't involve EDC, but if EDC is on your agenda then it narrows your choices. My understanding is that MA law for 'printing' is pretty serious, and if you go that route you are looking for the smallest, least conspicuous options. Most small, easily concealed handguns are a literal pain to shoot. If you're new to handguns, I'd recommend starting with a full size weapon better suited to home defense, and getting comfortable with that first.

Then again, I come from a background that favors recreational shooting. Honestly, if you don't enjoy shooting, training is going to be drudgery in a state that does not make it easy. I'm in a state that makes it easy and it's still a challenge to find time and opportunity. Try to have some fun. :)

Thanks for the responses, they're very helpful. We're looking at a gun for both sport and defense - I think I'm really going to enjoy this sport. Probably get a .22 and a 9mm as both seem to be readily available and not that expensive. I'm also thinking of a rifle, I always wanted to be a cowboy and a lever action would be cool. And if we really get the bug we'll move on from there.

I'm also interested in the application process. Our town requires 2 letters of recommendation and I've got some questions - who is the letter best coming from (attorney, licensed gun owner, cop), what to highlight in the letter, things like that.

Thanks,
Andrew