to shooting and this club. I'm looking for like-minded (non-NRA) people to go shooting with. I have a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol and just bought a Kimber k6s. I've done a little shooting and am taking a basic handgun course this weekend.

Other hobbies include drumming, hanging with my cats, hanging with friends, concerts, festivals, and so on.

Oh, I live in the South Bay.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Re: Newbie

Used to live in Berzerkely. Love the South Bay. Now I'm up along the 40th parallel in the actual northern California. Lots of LGC folks in the Bay Area. Lots of nut trees and cattle up here. Home of the Mother Orange Tree. Good to see more liberal gun owners by the day.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Welcome! There are lots of cool people here who are glad to help. Take a look at our California chapter.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

There was one time I shot some stuff and it wasn't fun.

Had me a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine in .357, and I was out there at the range in pure pewpewpew mode, blasting away at all manner of reactive targets like plastic liter bottles and so on with the puppy dog .38's, rifle makes it like shooting a .22. Then we ran out of .38. I'm all, "Got some .357's here." That's when it after one shot stopped being fun.

Turns out the longer .357 tends to weld itself to the inside of the chamber if you'd popped off like seventy four .38's before. Those shorter cartridges leave soot in there and the longer .357 case gets welded in so nicely that gunsmiths send their kids to college because of this, as they have to go in and unweld that little ring of brass gets ripped off when you lever out the .357 case.

Point is, if you shoot .38's and then you're going to shoot .357's out a lever gun it's best to run a brush then a patch though the chamber before you make the switch.

Other than that, shooting stuff so far has been fun.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:There was one time I shot some stuff and it wasn't fun.

Had me a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine in .357, and I was out there at the range in pure pewpewpew mode, blasting away at all manner of reactive targets like plastic liter bottles and so on with the puppy dog .38's, rifle makes it like shooting a .22. Then we ran out of .38. I'm all, "Got some .357's here." That's when it after one shot stopped being fun.

Turns out the longer .357 tends to weld itself to the inside of the chamber if you'd popped off like seventy four .38's before. Those shorter cartridges leave soot in there and the longer .357 case gets welded in so nicely that gunsmiths send their kids to college because of this, as they have to go in and unweld that little ring of brass gets ripped off when you lever out the .357 case.

Point is, if you shoot .38's and then you're going to shoot .357's out a lever gun it's best to run a brush then a patch though the chamber before you make the switch.

Other than that, shooting stuff so far has been fun.

CDFingers
Thanks for the advice.

o/
senorgrand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:50 am Same goes with revolvers
Like, say, the K6s. Since you mentioned it. It's a handful in .357, isn't it? Did you go with the 2" snubby, or get one of the longer barrels? I've only played with the snub, and I wouldn't want to blow through 200 rounds of .357 with one, but in .38 Special? I keep thinking I might want one for myself. On the other hand, I didn't like the backstrap.

wings wrote:o/
senorgrand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:50 am Same goes with revolvers
Like, say, the K6s. Since you mentioned it. It's a handful in .357, isn't it? Did you go with the 2" snubby, or get one of the longer barrels? I've only played with the snub, and I wouldn't want to blow through 200 rounds of .357 with one, but in .38 Special? I keep thinking I might want one for myself. On the other hand, I didn't like the backstrap.
Oh. I got the 3-inch.

:welcome: from another Kentucky resident (I see that Hiker, who lives an hour or so east of me, and with whom I have been friends for decades, chimed in above).
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

lurker wrote:is there a .38 powder charge that works in 357? i.e, load your .357 cases to .38 velocities?
I don't know. I'm at the very beginning of firearm journey and know nothing about ammo. I hope to learn, though.