Hello from John's Creek, Georgia

:newhere:

Hello all,

I am new to gun ownership and I am still in my research phase.

I still have mixed feelings on the generally relaxed firearm ownership laws in our country, but I am looking to purchase a weapon and train seriously for self defence purposes only.

I believe that the threat of right wing terrorism is very real - it is foolish to think guns are going to go away soon, if at all they ever do.

As such, I am looking for general purchase advice for novices and also if there are any instructors in and around my area.

Very cool to see a community like this exists!

Re: Hello from John's Creek, Georgia

:welcome:
i lived for a couple of years in may-retta, then woodstock, then nelson.
new shooter?
think about what you want the gun for, rifle, handgun, shotgun; home defense, hunting, target shooting...
handle every gun you can.
shoot every gun you can.
like goldilocks and the three bears, not too big, not to small, just right.
buy the one that meets your needs and feels right. yes, it's about your comfort level. you may end up with several.
be safe, have fun!
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Can't help on Fulton County specific info but GA DNR has a whole bunch of shooting ranges now that are well worth checking out. There are quite a few up just above you.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Hi from NJ. Not sure where John's Creek is, but my wife's mom and brother both live in the Roswell area.

Yeah, try everything you can.
If it doesn't feel right to you, don't buy it, no matter what anyone says.

Soon or later, someone will say "Get a 1911" and someone else will say "Get a CZ". But...if it doesn't feel right, don't.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

For self defense you can start with a pistol.

Here’s what I recommend to new / prospective gun owners:
1. Find a large shooting range that offers basic safety classes and take one, like this in your neighborhood: https://www.johnscreekgunrange.com/
2. The range typically allows you to rent, so try shooting several different handguns to feel how they fit in your hand. Start with Glock 19, Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 2.0, SIG P320 Xcompact, then anything else that you fancy.
3. Buy the gun that fits you best and you’re most accurate with.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I am not a fan of NRA politics, but I do respect some of their training programs.

If you want to train with a pistol or revolver, I would suggest that you take the NRA "First Steps" training. This will give you a solid foundation in safe gun handling and basic shooting technique. You will also get information of programs available advancing your skills. You can contact the NRA and they will give you contact information of people holding classes in your area.

However you pursue your basic training, just do not train with someone who knows no more than you, but think that they know it all.

o/

Formal training FTW. Good advice above. My understanding is that Georgia doesn't have training requirements for concealed handguns, but many states do, and there are some well-established training programs if you decide to go that route. I recommend it once you get past the fundamentals, but early on. Build appropriate habits for defensive shooting from the ground up.

Shoot. Shooting is fun, and it's good to practice.

Inventory is limited right now, and ammo is even worse. You may not have the luxury of finding just the right gun. That's okay. Find something you are comfortable enough with now, that you can find ammo for, and training will make up for a lot. You can buy something else later on. We will encourage you. If you don't like the first gun you buy, they hold value pretty well and appreciate in value during a crisis. You can sell or trade 'em. Some of us reportedly cycle guns like underwear. Others just hoard.

Don't get too concerned about the optimal caliber. Even a .22 can kill, and they're easier to shoot. We've got long threads here for your research phase.

I'm sure there's been a fair bit written on the cultural anthropology of guns in America. As talisman against the evils of random attack. As mechanical embodiment of evil. As political touchstone. Whatever.

Some of us love hunting. Some of us hate paper.

A gun won't keep you safe. What's between your ears does that. A gun can be one more tool towards that end. Or against it. Be safe.

Shooting can be a hobby. A sport. A way to relax. A way to prepare. A way to focus. A path to zen.

A gun is always loaded.
Only point your gun at something that's OK to destroy.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you're pointed at your target.
Know your target and what's behind it.

You'll notice there's exactly zero about politics in those four principles.

Greets from northern California, home of the Mother Orange Tree.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack