Hello from Minnesota!

Hello all.

Glad to join this group. I grew up in the South and shot guns hillbilly style in the woods with very little supervision or education. As I got a little older I went shooting at the range with my friend and his dad who was a former SWAT sniper (I wish I could have spent more time learning from him). Once I started college I just dropped the hobby. Now, 10 years later I wanted to get back into it. I've struggled to find people to engage the hobby with me due to me not being right wing and most of my progressive friends not really wanting to get into it. So I'm thrilled to find this group!

Now I'm a northerner and 10 years rusty. Looking forward to getting some practice again and making my foray into handguns, as almost all of my experience is with long guns.

Re: Hello from Minnesota!

senorgrand wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:23 pm welcome! what are you thinking of as your first handgun?
That's a great question. I really don't know yet. I'd like to do 9mm I think.

Currently I own a Remington 870. I'd like a handgun that both my wife and I can shoot (I don't think we want to buy two right now). I'm 200lbs 6'2, but my wife is a 5'1 100lbs. The Remington is likely going to a bit much for her to comfortably shoot. So I was hoping to find something I could enjoy and be comfortable with as I will be the primary user, but that I could also hand off to her and she would be ok shooting it as well. I'm open to any suggestions.

CZ 75. For a first time shooter, I'd lean towards the double action decocker model.

Nothing wrong with a 357 revolver either -- wild to mild and very easy to use for a new shooter. Both the 686+ (7 shot) and 66 (6 shot) with 4" barrels would be good.

Then there are the striker fired guns...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:CZ 75. For a first time shooter, I'd lean towards the double action decocker model.

Nothing wrong with a 357 revolver either -- wild to mild and very easy to use for a new shooter. Both the 686+ (7 shot) and 66 (6 shot) with 4" barrels would be good.

Then there are the striker fired guns...
I’d suggest a CZ 75 compact or P-01. Big enough for you and small enough for your wife. A great pistol.

Then get a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from another Midwesterner. I'm pretty much a newbie with handguns myself, so I don't have a lot of advice to offer. I'm in the 1911 45 ACP camp, but am the first to say not a great first handgun for a lot of people. Lately, I've been spending a LOT of time learning basics with a single action 22lr revolver. Very cheap to buy and shoot, and it slows me down to really focus on what I'm trying to learn. But again, that's me, not you. Get what feels good for you.

lurker wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:49 pm try them all.
handle every handgun you can. shoot every handgun you can.
buy the handgun you're most comfortable with. what works for me (1911a1 in .45acp) may not work for you.
This. You may find surprises. I had no real interest in large caliber single action revolvers until I tried one. Then I needed one. Now I'm trying to justify a DASA .357 to myself. And a levergun to go with it.

I second Geno re: .22 in various guises. As objectively the best round ever. Right next to, er, all the others.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. For first handgun selection I suggest fondling as many different guns as you can and then pick the one your wife likes.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Welcome from sunny South Florida!

I'll second what others have said, shoot a bunch of stuff and then decide. And yes, stock at gun stores are running a little thin these days, but they're always getting new stuff and most can order you almost anything you want if you don't mind waiting a few days or weeks.